"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #31
Head Chef
Of course if I receive food served at the wrong temperature - or over/under cooked or just plain bad I complain but generally give them another chance - everyone has an off night.

But something that really jerks my chain is un-managed children! If I go to Applebees or Chuck E Cheese (God forbid!) or other "family friendly" markets I expect to find children. However when I go to an up-scale place with the $$ that go with that I do not expect to hear children screaming, crying, acting up at the table or racing around the tables!

I am not anti-child; I raised a son and have a 3 year old grandaughter I adore but nobody should expect young children to sit at table for a length of time they can't tolerate or at an hour too late for them to behave reasonably. It's the parents I blame, not the children. And I know that having small children changes one's tolerance level for the chaos they create.

Still where are my rights? They used to have smoke free sections - I'd lobby heartily for child-free sections. Now I just vote with my feet.

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #32
Master Chef
I raised a very hyperactive little boy but we never took him anywhere without a box of toys and activities to do. He knew he was expected to behave in restaurants and if he had to go outside with one of us for time out that's where he went. We were not going to inflict his boisterousnous on others. As a reward, we've had several people over the years compliment our children to their faces for their behavior while dining out.:) It never ceases to amaze me the parents who will bring young children to restaurants and expect them to be happy sitting still for an hour or two with just a cracker or a few crayons the restaurant supplies to occupy them. It's not fair to them.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #33
Assistant Cook
As a chef/ restaurant manager I can overlook most trival stuff and to an extent poor service/food quality but bad sanitation practices will stop me in my tracks every time.
randyhirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #34
Wow Jeenkinz that is scarey. I was a waiter for a few years and you just don't let that sort of thing happen. You can't afford to take the chance that someone will hurt themselves. What if you served a drink with glass in it to a child? That's so irresponsible.

I don't care how good the food or product is, if I feel that I'm not getting good service I won't shop/eat there again. I work in retail now and I know that shop assistants are supposed to great you within 30 seconds of entering a store and approach you within 3 mintues to see what you need help with but I can spend up to 15 minutes in some places without someone even acknowledging my presence. If the staff are rude or don't care that's a total deal breaker for me, you've just lost me as a customer and the 75 people I'll tell about it.
Anthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #35
Senior Cook
I agree with Anthea service is a big part of the
total product. I've left places because of slow or
nonexistent service, in stores or restaurants.
bandonjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #36
I just can't stand it! You can't just expect I'm going to had over my hard earned cash for nothing. I WORK for my money, why don't you? ARGH!

Sorry, bad service makes me mad...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #37
Head Chef
One pet peeve that I have is when a server brings me my dinner and then proceeds to get whatever needed to go with it. Example: french fries...run and get ketchup....steak......run and get steak knife. Or worse to watch as they do other tasks while I wait for these items. I have waitressed years back and I know it is hard work but somethings are common sense with a little organization.

Poor service, bad food would be my reason for not returning.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #38
Oh my gosh Elaine I know exactly what you're talking about! When I worked in restaurants we were taught that as soon as you take an order for something that needs something else ie a steak needs a steak knife, soup needs a soup spoon, you take the order to the kitchen and you go straight back to the table with the extra bits they need, so that when you take the food to the table the customer can eat it straight away, otherwise it gets cold while you wait for everything else to turn up.

I also hate when you order something and the waiter comes back 5 mins later and says "oh I'm sorry, we're out of that..." Hello? Shouldn't you know this ahead of time? Warn me about it when you give me a menu or when I place my order!

Maybe I should stop posting on this thread, I seem to be getting a little worked up...