What have you noticed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) What have you noticed since the gas prices have become so high? I have just noticed that where I live in the middle of nowhere on my morning walks the sky is completely clear. I mean I usually see at least 5-8 vapor or ice trails from airplanes and at least 2-3 actual planes. Now I see none at all I know the airlines have cut back and I think this is why I have not seen them.It feels a little strange like I'm being cut off from the rest of the world not that I ever cared if planes were in the sky or not. Just that it feels a bit strange.

I've noticed that there are less big SUVs on the road.
I have also noticed there are still fools sitting in a running vehicle
in a store parking lot, windows up, AC on.
And are often still there when I come out... and I'm talking Walmart
and grocery stores, not curb markets.

I've noticed that there are less big SUVs on the road.
I have also noticed there are still fools sitting in a running vehicle
in a store parking lot, windows up, AC on.
And are often still there when I come out... and I'm talking Walmart
and grocery stores, not curb markets.
:)We will always have the fools.

more people using public transport, bikes or even walk - but for some people people, btw. mostly men, gas can't be expensive enough..

I use my bike more often for my way to work :)

I've been using a bike and backpack for years for small nearby errands.

What I've recently noticed is that a lot of retired men are joining me with their bikes, and three and four wheelers. Many of these trike-bikes are equipped with baskets or carts to hold groceries, etc. I estimate a lot of these guys as 70+. I don't see older women doing the same. Don't know why.

I commute by train, I started a year ago and saved over $400.00 per month. the trains are getting fuller.

BTW - On short shopping trips where I drive, my labs usually accompany me, not long grosery trips and mall trips. When I go in the store, on these short trips, my windows are up, my A/C is running. I'm not killing my dogs or leaving a window down for two thoroughbred dogs to be stolen. I do not think that this makes me a fool.

Another interesting aside, in addition to expensive fuel, we are also in a pretty severe economic downturn. Many people are very upside down on their leases or car payments and cannot afford to just go out and buy a small car. The resale on big cars / SUV's is down, dealers are adding premiums to hybrids and some people are just trapped with what they have.

Another interesting aside, I read on CNN where a person is buying all of the big SUV's he can get his hands on, he gets a fairly new one for $9K, he then pays $2.2K to ship it to south America, where fuel is cheap, and sells them for $18K. Another person in the same article has two big SUV's that he just bought. They are like 3 years old. The value is so down that he got them free and clear. With no car payment, he is not so worried about the cost of fuel he is saving money and driving big.

This article begs two questions. If fuel is cheap elsewhere, is there really a shortage? Are we hurt by fuel prices alone, or fuel prices and car payment to go with it?

Long term fuel efficient vehicles sized to day to day needs should be mandatory. It just can't happen overnight. We are fighting two demons here, the economy and the fuel supply.

I noticed yesterday it cost me $50 to fill my VW Beetle!!:ohmy:

$40 for my PT!:mad: So far it's $3.79 right now. Went down for now.
I have noticed more people walking and hitchiking!! I cannot believe in this day and age, people still do that!! One guy is out there every day too!

If I had a regular commute I'd certainly be looking into a car share scheme! So far I notice I am buying less, because I'm going out less.

I also notice my car is being less efficient with this very expensive fuel, my MPG has dropped significantly :(

With prices at 4.19 here in northern lower Michigan, I have noticed that I don't need to make all those little trips I use to make. Now I lump all of my errands together and make one, maybe two trips per week. My car doesn't move other than that. I guess we wasted more gas than we thought.

In the RV park where I spend the summer, if someone is going to the supermarket or the mall, she usually asks around to see if anyone wants to go with her. We all do this so we do save a lot of individual trips that way and we take turns driving each week. Not to mention we have a good time.

:neutral: What I've noticed..... a sinking feeling in the pit of my belly when I think about our economy, our dependence on oil, our dwindling natural resources, a sadness when I think what our children will inherit, and my lack of faith in the folks who "run" this country.... sorry - no comments on traffic being lighter or prettier skies - don't mean to ruin your Sunday with my angst - maybe I should go back to bed and pull covers over head??? (I would be cheerier if I weren't in between jobs...)

I notice more people walking. Also notice more people riding bikes and scooters..... I do notice a few less SUVs on the road... it's kinda nice!

:neutral: What I've noticed..... a sinking feeling in the pit of my belly when I think about our economy, our dependence on oil, our dwindling natural resources, a sadness when I think what our children will inherit, and my lack of faith in the folks who "run" this country.... sorry - no comments on traffic being lighter or prettier skies - don't mean to ruin your Sunday with my angst - maybe I should go back to bed and pull covers over head??? (I would be cheerier if I weren't in between jobs...)

I feel the same pc... it is what the world has become and it was all done without out much fore thought of the consequences. Now we all pay the price in one form or another. Cheer up girl-friend!!! There is always HOPE!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom