What Hostess Item Will You Miss Most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Hostess Item Will You Miss Most

• Twinkies

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ding Dongs

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Ho Hos

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Snowballs

• Fruit Pies

• Other

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
Ring-Dings .......... Wonder Bread, the first sliced bread in America............

I agree that some mega-conglomerate will snatch up the brand names, but the product will probably never be the same.
DID YOU KNOW.......... Snapple owns, among other things, Dr. Pepper and Real Lemon.......
And remember how great Mrs. Paul's Products were until they sold out to Campell Foods in 1982, and when Pinnacle Foods aquired the Brand name, the product became......well, Cardboard!

Do any of you old timers remember the TV show in B&W called Red Ryder? Well they were sponsored by Table Talk pies. That brand was bought by Continental Bakery. Hostess folks. :angel:

With the news of Hostess and their woes it made me wonder what item or items you will miss most?

Actually I haven't had a hostess product in 30 years. But I'm afraid my niece will starve to death :LOL:

With all those preservatives no wonder she looks so young:<)

Last edited:
I know I won't miss Twinkies, dry sponge cake filled with sugar and fat......never were appealing to me. I did enjoy the occasional snowball in my youth. I'm not sure why I liked them except that the cake was moister because it was covered in marshmallow. I really don't care much for marshmallow, but I LOVE coconut! I think it was the coconut ;-) yeah that must have been it; the coconut!

I hadn't had any of these goodies in a couple of years. Last night my Hubby brought a package of zingers home (three little zingers in a package) for he and I and our son. It sure was good. Too bad that they had to close down. Too bad there will probably be lots of businesses who will not be able to stay open. Papa Johns is catching slack for saying that they will need to increase prices and cut employees to part time. They have to do those things or they will also need to close down.

No more raspberry Zingers?!!! I love those! I don't get them more than once or twice a year though. Maybe that's why they're calling it quits.
I was confused when I read this because I knew Zingers were a Dolley Madison product, so I looked it up. I had no idea that Hostess bought Dolley Madison out years ago!

chopper said:
I hadn't had any of these goodies in a couple of years. Last night my Hubby brought a package of zingers home (three little zingers in a package) for he and I and our son. It sure was good. Too bad that they had to close down. Too bad there will probably be lots of businesses who will not be able to stay open. Papa Johns is catching slack for saying that they will need to increase prices and cut employees to part time. They have to do those things or they will also need to close down.

Trust me papa john's is far from closing, they are making a lot of profit! The CEO is having no trouble maintaining his 40,000 sq ft. Mansion and 7 million dollar guest house!

I won't miss any of their products at all, but all those people out of work sure will miss their paychecks because their labor dispute closed the doors. Very very sad.

If a labor dispute closed down the company, all this tells me is that they were on their way out already.

This is a terrible thing to happen to these workers, it's even worse this time of year.

bakechef said:
Trust me papa john's is far from closing, they are making a lot of profit! The CEO is having no trouble maintaining his 40,000 sq ft. Mansion and 7 million dollar guest house!

His mansion and guest house have nothing to do with rather or not the business can remain profitable....but this is about Hostess, and I did not mean to get off topic.

Shrek just had the last of his Ding Dongs...I've been informed that I must buy any that I see while out foraging today.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Shrek just had the last of his Ding Dongs...I've been informed that I must buy any that I see while out foraging today.

Go quick PF. You want the best wife of the year award, and this is the best way to get it!!!

Maybe there should be a contest for copy-cat recipes of Hostess products. At least I wish someone would come up with an easy raspberry Zinger recipe. :hint, hint:

Cindercat said:
Maybe there should be a contest for copy-cat recipes of Hostess products. At least I wish someone would come up with an easy raspberry Zinger recipe. :hint, hint:

Sounds good. I am waiting for one of our friend's here to post a zinger-like recipe!!! ;)

I did a search for you and this is what came up several times.

Home Made Twinkies And Zingers
Makes 16
For cakes:
1 (18.25 oz.) box
yellow cake mix
3 whole
eggs
1/3 c.
vegetable oil
1 c.
water
1 (5.1 oz.)
instant vanilla pudding mix
Filling:
½ c.
butter, room temperature
½ c.
shortening, room temperature
1 t.
vanilla
¼ t.
salt
3 c. confectioner’s
sugar
1 (7 oz.) container
marshmallow fluff
For Zingers:
shopping list
1 (3oz.) pkg. raspberry Jell-O
2 c.
boiling water
2 c. shredded
sweetened flake coconut
2 - 3 T.
cornstarch
16 Twinkie "boats," prepared with non-stick baking spray

Twinkie Boats:
Cut a 12x14-inch sheet of aluminum foil.
Fold it in half lengthwise, then in half again widthwise.
Wrap the foil partially around a spice jar lengthwise, bringing foil up around the jar and crushing the foil around the ends of the jar to make a boat-shaped baking form about 4 inches long, 2 1/2 inches tall, and 1 1/2 inch wide.
Repeat with 15 more pieces of foil to make 16 boat-shaped baking forms.
Shape the bottoms of the forms to be slightly flat so forms can stand up.
Spray the forms with cooking spray, and place onto a baking sheet.

Make Cakes:
In mixer bowl mix eggs, oil, and water until combined. Add cake mix and blend for two minutes on medium speed. Blend in pudding mix on medium for an additional 3 minutes until smooth.
Place 2.25 oz. of batter into each "boat" and bake at 325° for 11-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. (Baking cakes at a lower temperature for a longer period of time reduces the "bump" in the middle of the cake). Cool completely.

Make Frosting:
Combine butter, shortening, vanilla, and salt in mixer bowl and blend on medium high for about 3 minutes or until mixture comes together and becomes creamy with no lumps. Add confectioner’s sugar and starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, blend until light and airy. Add marshmallow fluff and blend on high until once again light and airy.

For Zingers:
Boil water, add Jell-O and stir to combine. Place in refrigerator for 15 – 30 minutes or until thick but not set.
Place coconut flakes in food processor and pulse until flakes are very small. Dump into a dish and add cornstarch, starting with 2 T. and increasing if necessary to get a nice loose texture.

For Twinkies:
With a knife, cut a small slit in the top side of the cake. Using an icing bag, pipe a good amount of filling into the cavity, holding the shape of the cake with your hand to prevent splitting. Once filled, place cut side down on the cooling rack and continue to fill remaining cakes.

For Zingers:
Fill cakes as for Twinkies. Once that is completed, place the prepared Jell-O into a low baking dish or other container and roll the cake to cover completely. Move somewhat quickly to avoid completely soaking the cake. Placing the coconut in a similar dish, immediately roll the cake in the prepared coconut and place on the rack to set for approximately 2 hours. This lets the cake settle and "cure" for a bit.

Thanks. I should have known there would be a recipe out there. Hadn't gotten around to checking. I'll have to print this out & try it sometime.

Ho Ho's - definitely my favorite. I absolutely love them. A few years ago when they changed to a 3 pack I thought I'd won the lottery!

A sad day....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom