What I like/don't like about daylight saving time....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting how that works. My last boss was an actual criminal as well as being a rotten boss.

The target range for layoffs at my plant were "anyone over 50". They just announced another layoff coming in December. 500 more in my old division.

I'm sure glad I'm out of the rat-race. I feel better metally than I have for years. No stress!

i hate the clock change for several reasons.

first of all, i spent 5 hours last night adjusting clocks on all of our systems at work. it should have only taken 2 hours, but some bonehead engineer from our local affiliate didn't prepare himself for the work and didn't know where any of the clock generators were for his area. so, clocks on cameras, in the control and some edit rooms stayed on dst.

we chased around signals on old prints and wasted time walking back and forth through the building finding nothing since their area has been completely rebuilt within the last 2 years. turns out the have their own generators now and don't slave to our clock systems anymore.

secondly, some of our systems log their errors and other files in est during that period, some stay in est all year, and some save files in gmt. (some in frames since midnight of that day as well, but that's just in tv land!) it makes it a pain in the butt to have to try to remember what standard to use when analyzing error logs and such.

finally, i like gmt minus four (dst) better than now (-5). i wish we could stay on dst all year. i like going home in the morning while it's dark in the fall and winter, and having a little more light to do stuff in the evening this time of year. it's fun to get a little hockey in as the sun sets on a cold afternoon after school. or have a catch with a football. it gets dark to early in est.

i don't mind the sun in the morning as much in the summer since the days are longer anyway.

i hate the clock change for several reasons.

first of all, i spent 5 hours last night adjusting clocks on all of our systems at work. it should have only taken 2 hours, but some bonehead engineer from our local affiliate didn't prepare himself for the work and didn't know where any of the clock generators were for his area. so, clocks on cameras, in the control and some edit rooms stayed on dst.

we chased around signals on old prints and wasted time walking back and forth through the building finding nothing since their area has been completely rebuilt within the last 2 years. turns out the have their own generators now and don't slave to our clock systems anymore.

secondly, some of our systems log their errors and other files in est during that period, some stay in est all year, and some save files in gmt. (some in frames since midnight of that day as well, but that's just in tv land!) it makes it a pain in the butt to have to try to remember what standard to use when analyzing error logs and such.

finally, i like gmt minus four (dst) better than now (-5). i wish we could stay on dst all year. i like going home in the morning while it's dark in the fall and winter, and having a little more light to do stuff in the evening this time of year. it's fun to get a little hockey in as the sun sets on a cold afternoon after school. or have a catch with a football. it gets dark to early in est.

i don't mind the sun in the morning as much in the summer since the days are longer anyway.

As an ex-Database Administrator, I can feel your pain. Life for me is so easy now with only 3 computers to manage.

Good luck in all your tasks.

Timothy said:
I agree, Andy. My first move in the morning is towards my coffee anyway.

Well, that's the second one. The first move is the obvious one.

At least I'm not hiccuping! D**n, did that get old! I still have a rib hurting from it! I think I cracked it! Yikes!

I'm hoping that one day I will be able to retire too. Just sayin...

Silly mistake today. . .was working a luncheon at the U.S.I.P., chugging right along, feeling a bit in the weeds as it is Monday, so everything had to be done for the 200person event. . .got done, with 15min to spare only to realize the clock had not been set back. Oh well, better than being late I suppose.

It's weird, but the month before the time change my sleep schedule went completely haywire and "falling back" would have just made it worse, BUT, it seems that my body was reacting as if the time had already changed.

What's weirder is that now that the clocks are turned back, my sleep schedule is normal again!

I'd prefer eliminating the fiddling with the clock and just establish a set of summer and winter work schedules; something like 0800 to 1500 in the winter and 0700 to 1600 in the summer, with vacation time allowances expressed in hours instead of days.

I'd like it if the cat came with a programmable setting. He's woken us at 520 the last two mornings in a row.

It doesn't. I get up when I want (as long as I'm not late for work). I go to bed when I want. Clocks are a human invention, created by our ancestors to satisfy some need to quantify the world around us. ;)

Don't you need one of those human inventions to know when you're going to be late for work?

Don't you need one of those human inventions to know when you're going to be late for work?
For tens of thousands of years, people listened to their internal body rhythms. Timekeeping devices are only a relatively recent invention. I wake up at pretty much the same time every morning without an alarm clock. I think most people do.

As far as being late for work, since I'm allowed to come into work anytime between 6 am and 10 am, there is quite a bit of wiggle room. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom