What I like/don't like about daylight saving time....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
to me, waking up every morning in darkness is a depressing thing. artificial lamps and stark, harsh shadows add to the depressive atmosphere. winter will soon be here, with shortened days and lengthy nights. i look forward to turning the clocks back every fall, bringing daylight to us one hour sooner. even with the darkness falling and shortening the afternoons, i still welcome the natural early morning light anointing every new day's beginning....and oddly enough, i felt much the same way even when i worked nights....how does daylight savings time affect you?

We'll have to take the walking flashlight for our evening forays. Not crazy about that.

I always wake up before sunrise (notice how I didn't say wake up in the dark). I would MUCH RATHER have the extra daylight towards the end of my work day. And I hate the way the clock changes throws my dogs' timing off. IMO the natural changes that occur with the earth's orbit don't need any interference by bumping the clocks by an hour one way or the other. Someone needs to do a study and say the time changes twice a year cause additional stress...

One advantage I see are daylight school bus pickups which should lead to a safer trip to school.

People who work a long day trade a darker morning ride for a darker evening ride. As a retiree, it doesn't matter much to me other than a higher electric bill.

It bugs me having to roll out of bed in the dark to go to dialysis in the dark YUK I wanna stay in bed where it's warm and cozy not go out in the DARK and freeze in the car and in the center it feels like a big refrigerator in there it's so cold it only takes and hour and the cramping of hands and legs starts phooey.
kades

Since I stopped working it does not matter to me.

I am like an old cat, I do things when I feel like it and nap when I don't.

I detest turning the clocks back in the fall.......it's very depressing for me. It's a good thing I live in such a sunny part of the world or I'd be in really bad shape.
Fall is a depressing part of the year for me anyway, and having less daylight at the end of the day just adds to it. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and it's sure no fun.
I really feel for you, Kades and sending you a sincere hug........

As a retiree, it doesn't matter much to me other than a higher electric bill.

I agree, Andy. My first move in the morning is towards my coffee anyway.

Well, that's the second one. The first move is the obvious one.

At least I'm not hiccuping! D**n, did that get old! I still have a rib hurting from it! I think I cracked it! Yikes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, Andy. My first move in the morning is towards my coffee anyway.

Well, that's the second one. The first move is the obvious one.

At least I'm not hiccuping! Damn, did that get old! I still have a rib hurting from it! I think I cracked it! Yikes!

Glad to hear you're over the hiccups. Rib injuries hurt like crazy.

I tend to stay up late and sleep late. So I always wake up in daylight.

Glad to hear you're over the hiccups. Rib injuries hurt like crazy.

Man, I have NEVER had the dang hiccups for that long. Almost 3 entire days! The last morning, I woke on my left side and as soon as I opened my eyes, I hiccuped a big one. I felt the rib crack.:ohmy::( OUCH! I never got hurt that easy when I was in my 20's!:mad:

I tend to stay up late and sleep late. So I always wake up in daylight.

I almost always turn out my bedside lamp at 2:30am and get up at 9-10 in the morning. I got up at 3:30am for way too many years! We had to be at work, in our work area, working at 6am, mostly 7 days a week.

Last edited:
I hear that! No alarm clock, no more suits and ties. Once in a while I get up early for my grandson's visit. But that's different.

I hear that! No alarm clock, no more suits and ties. Once in a while I get up early for my grandson's visit. But that's different.

And NO MORE BOSS! How cool is that? My last one was the epitome of all the bad things you've ever heard of bosses. All he needed was a twisted cross on his upper arm to complete the image he gave. He was a replacement for a very sick boss who died shortly after. The last one was hired as a "Hit Man" to fire or layoff 90% of the staff in the Facilities Department. He gave em what they wanted!

Interesting how that works. My last boss was an actual criminal as well as being a rotten boss.

Now you retired people just have to cut it out. Us working stiffs still have a few more years of working in the dark!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom