"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Green Lady: Car Pooling to a sports event is a nightmare that I never want to think about again. The traveling leagues in our area never play more than 35 or 40 miles away. If they have two games a week usually one is in town and the other is away.
We don't carpool. Just the three of us and maybe a friend. In travel ball at his level of playing, we play hours away from home so it is a weekend away in a hotel somewhere. My son will be starting college in the fall on a baseball scholarship. It is important to do the travel league and get exposed to players from all around so that his skills remain sharp and challenged by quality players. The local leagues allow anyone to play and the level of competition leaves much to be desired.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
Master Chef

About 10 years ago we sold our suburban "dream home", bought a travel trailer, and spent 3 years looking for our dream community. One requirement was that it had to have most of what we needed w/i walking distance. Now I take the truck out once a week and do everything I have to every Friday. We tank up less than monthly. I don't think we can reduce it any more than that!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Cook

It has me considering switching job, from my current 45 min./day (one way) commute to something local. I've only been at the current job for coming on two years, and its a good job, but gas was under $2/gal when I started. There are certainly other reasons I would switch jobs, but this does play into it.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Last year I needed a new car and bought a Ford Escape Hybrid. I love it. My commute is short but congested and I love watching the gas engine shut off and the electric engine take over :-)
Old 05-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
Executive Chef

My dr/hospital is about 45 minutes away and now I make sure that I combine 2 appts even if I have to wait for hours between them. I just take a book and sit it out.

I have quit going to my favorite International Market (50 min away) but fortunately there are 2 that are closer and although they don't have the same quantity of products, I'll make do.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
Executive Chef

years ago, my first job out of college, my first car a basic chevy off the lot. and gas had just hit $1.00 a gal...a price that was "never gonna happen in a million years! I mean the gas pumps didn't have spaces for prices over .99.9!" (so they sold half gallons for .51.9) anyway, in relation to my salary and all other costs then and now, gas would have to be over $9 a gallon to equal the same bite it had on me back then...1978.

It does require that I budget for it once again, but who does this really hurt? The young folks just starting out, and the poor and elderly on fixed or low incomes.

Same with the cost of tobacco ( for those who still smoke, I don't btw). But a pack of cigs would have to be over $10 to have the same effect on my wallet that it did back in the late 70s when it was hitting a buck.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
Head Chef

When I run errands, I try to combine stops and get everything I need in one trip- somtimes hard to do. I live 10 miles from Cincinnati and I've cut my weekend trips to the downtown library or Findlay Market way down. I try not to drive somewhere just for one thing.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #18
Master Chef

Toots, I do the same thing. I guess it helps if you don't really like to drive anyway. I don't, neither does my husband (this astonishes people, after all, we spent three years on the road, driving many, many miles every day. Husband towed the trailer, then I did every-day driving, every day. We only stayed in one place for more than a week when we needed our mail to be sent to us). But now that we are settled, I plan those Fridays. Which stop is furthest away? What stops along the way are in order? For me a big one is that our library doesn't open until 11 a.m. This drives me crazy because sometimes I finish my errands at 10:30.

But, no, gas prices haven't changed our driving habits, because we aren't that attached to driving everywhere. An old hippie friend of mine took me to task for owning a gas guzzler (Ford 150 pickup). I told her I drive it once a week, and only fill her up about once a month. That issue went away pretty quickly once she realized that she drove her (less gas guzzling) car just about every day.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Yes, it has effected my driving habits. I come up with any excuse I can think of to not leave the farm. It has to be a dire, dire need for me to get in the car to go somewhere. Not just someting I may need for a particular recipe, nope not good enough reason, just make something else with ingredients I have on hand. Animal feed is the only thing that really gets me out on the road. And it is only 2 miles away. Post office is 12 miles round trip, as is the nearest grocery store that has very limited offerings. I have cut down on selling on eBay so I do not have to travel to P.O.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Even though the price of gas is ridiculous (lower for us than some of you I guess--$3.09) it hasn't had as much effect on us as just not having the money to do anything even if we could drive there! Since we can't afford to eat out, go to the movies, etc. we don't drive there. We actually had to sell my little refrigerator that I had in my classroom so that we could get gas so I could get to work this last week of school (and I only work 6 miles from home). Sheesh. Fortunately our car gets pretty good gas mileage.

Barbara