"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Head Chef

What is a grilled cheese sandwich, exactly?

There isnít a forum for sandwiches, and grilled cheese is bread and cheese, but not really, so I wasnít sure where the heck to put this.

What defines a grilled cheese sandwich? When does a grilled cheese sandwich become a melt, or a hamburger? Do open-face sandwiches count? Must it be made on sandwich bread? Is a cubano a grilled cheese?

This is a really nit-picky question, I know. Truth is, thereís a contest for grilled cheese sandwiches, and if I make an entry, I donít want the judges saying ďwell, this is delish, and it isa sandwich, but NO NO NO, itís NOT grilled cheese!Ē

Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

This sums it up for me:

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

We had a lengthy discussion about this a while ago.

IMHO, a GCS consists of bread and cheese with or without some added minor players that add some dimension of flavor such as pickles or tomato, etc. that has been grilled (browned on a flat surface with butter so the cheese melts)

I do not subscribe to the current trend of calling any sandwich that includes cheese and is grilled a GCS.

So cheeseburgers and Cubanos are NOT GCS.

I'd suggest you get a copy of the contest rules as a guide.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
There isnít a forum for sandwiches
It's a subforum under bread.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We had a lengthy discussion about this a while ago.

IMHO, a GCS consists of bread and cheese with or without some added minor players that add some dimension of flavor such as pickles or tomato, etc. that has been grilled (browned on a flat surface with butter so the cheese melts)

I do not subscribe to the current trend of calling any sandwich that includes cheese and is grilled a GCS.

So cheeseburgers and Cubanos are NOT GCS.

I'd suggest you get a copy of the contest rules as a guide.
Agreed. There can be more than one kind of cheese (and should be, imo), maybe a spread or a condiment, maybe some seasoning on the bread. But no meat. And a pressed sandwich like a panini or Cuban is not the same as grilled cheese.

I did make one once with thinly sliced apples and a drizzle of cider vinegar - it barely qualifies
Old 05-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

to me Grilled Cheese is American Cheese between 2 slices of buttered (on the outside) WHITE bread, squished and fried in a pan.

One family of in-laws always had a jam of some sort in it - but not excessive.

I will also do some bacon and/or thinly sliced onion. to me this is the luxury fancy way.

I once tried Swiss Cheese with Granny Smith apples - Good but obviously not enough for me to make it again. LOL
Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
to me Grilled Cheese is American Cheese between 2 slices of buttered (on the outside) WHITE bread, squished and fried in a pan
This is it for me, although I don't see the need for squishing. Put the cheese between 2 slices of bread, butter the outside of one slice and put that side down in the frying pan. While the first side is getting nice and golden, butter the second side, flip and cook the second side golden and crispy. Nothing more is needed. Grilled cheese should be unadulterated American cheesiness.

When you do too much to a grilled cheese, it becomes something else, a ______ sandwich with melted cheese.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We had a lengthy discussion about this a while ago...
Must be summer rerun time already. Maybe this was the thread you were remembering:
Interesting grilled cheese ideas

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm too lazy to search but we had an active GCS thread just less than month ago.....
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
to me Grilled Cheese is American Cheese between 2 slices of buttered (on the outside) WHITE bread, squished and fried in a pan.
Not likely to win a GCS contest. You will have to think outside the bread box.

If I were a judge in such a contest, I would want the bread and cheese to be the dominant player -- the superstar. It there is anything else in the GCS, it better not draw attention to itself. Maybe some herbs. I think meat would be testing my own limits for GCS.

Now, since there are so many kinds of breads and cheeses, I don't see any reason you would have to add anything. I'd look for a unique blend of cheeses that match your choice of bread, perfectly.

I know that the "gourmet" GCSs I have had that I liked have had a good blend of about two cheeses, one mild and gooey, and one with some bite. I like the bread to "crunch" when I bite into it.

This video makes me drool.

CD

Tags
cheese, grill, sandwich