"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Master Chef

A small gathering at my daughter's house in the valley. She's serving finger foods only and I'll be in charge of cooking chicken wings. I'm also taking my sleeping bag with me as I will most likely crash on the couch.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Head Chef

Jazzalley (Seattle's premier jazz club)...early show of Pablo Sanchez, latin jazz band. We wouldn't have done anything since my wife, oncology nurse, is working a 12 hour shift, but one of the docs she works with gave us the tickets. She meeting me there, hopefully she will have a chance to change out of scrubs.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm picking up something to make for dinner tomorrow afternoon with my family. probably shrimp for shrimp cocktail, and either "prime" rib steaks or lobsters.

then we'll have video game competitions for the rest of the night. my son got some new games for his wii: skylanders giants, just dance 3, the penguins of madagascar, and a snowboarding game with the wii balance board. it should be a lot of fun.

i'm supposed to be at work by 11pm, but i'll have to wait to see if any of the young guys are going to approach me with deals to come in earlier to let them go, and then they'll owe me coverage on another night.

lol, or they might just try to skip out early without telling anyone. the latter seems to be the way things are going with the younger generation of my coworkers. in years past, we always worked deals to make sure everything was covered, and our bosses unofficially knew about it but turned a blind eye so long as we had each other's backs. the young guys nowadays don't seem to mind risking their jobs and then act like nothing is wrong, or flat out lie when they are approached about it. or worse, they get indignant about it.

oh well, sorry about my rant. i'll still have my job nonetheless.

happy new year.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef

As usual, I play on New Year's Eve. This year we are at one of my favorite taverns. Sold out crowd for dinner and dancing. The owner has graciously offered to buy dinner for the band and our partners before we play. Nice night out. Wilno Tavern Restaurant - Wilno, Ontario | Casual family dining in an historic Polish pub
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
Master Chef

We're having a Braai (BBQ) with friends, a few drinks and snacks and maybe some fire crackers. My Children are allowed about a quarter glass of sparkling wine on NYE only so they stay up with us a toast to the New Year.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We usually stay home for New Year's Eve, but this year we are going to our church's first "New Year's Rockin' Eve." We are all bringing finger foods (I'm bringing fried mushrooms). We will eat, do fun stuff (lol - not sure what yet), have a music concert, and then from 11:30 to 12:30 we will have a prayer service. I am really looking forward to it!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
Jazzalley (Seattle's premier jazz club)...early show of Pablo Sanchez, latin jazz band. We wouldn't have done anything since my wife, oncology nurse, is working a 12 hour shift, but one of the docs she works with gave us the tickets. She meeting me there, hopefully she will have a chance to change out of scrubs.
Now that sounds like a really wonderful evening Max! I'm jealous! I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
Half Baked

Unless we have a limo and a nice place to go we stay home. I find it to be rookies night out and not my favorite holiday. We still get gunfire in the air so indoors at midnight is where we will be.(In bed and trying to sleep)

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

We wear earplugs on NYE here as so many houses around us play extremely loud thumping music all night and into the early hours, it is so annoying..the music doesnt have to be "that" loud...

A house across the road from us, there is a massive group of teenagers (dont know where their parents are) out in the backyard of the house with the music on soooooo loud, it started 30 minutes ago, when it was only 4.30pm...GREAT...NOT!!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
Master Chef

I almost forgot the most important part! We are watching "Dinner for one"
NYE is not the same without it lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote