"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Steve: Wow, that is a small espresso / coffee maker ... Perhaps, it is time, to charge taxes for that counter space ... Is there any space is the question ! Gorgeous machine however ... How is the Espresso ?
Margi, the espresso is fabulous, thank you! I bought it used almost 10 years ago. We take good care of it and it's held up very well, but I sometimes worry about being able to find parts should it need repair. Gaggia no longer makes this model, though I still see them selling on eBay from time to time.

Over the years, I've learned to make almost any Italian style coffee drink. The only problem is that guests will sometimes ask if we have any "regular coffee." I try to explain to them that at our house espresso is regular coffee. If they still complain, I hand them a jar of instant coffee, and let them make their own.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook

What's unusual in my kitchen is the lack of 90-degree corners to any counters with cabinets underneath. My DH designed and built this kitchen (only took him 8 years, start to finish....).

Here's an example: this counter, for the doorway heading into the dining room, had to be angled, which necessitated an angled cabinet beneath. This one has two strangely-angled pull-out shelves, one for the food processor, one for the mixer.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yup, really, two refrigerators. We each had one when I moved in and I like having the extra space for food, especially since I live in the suburbs and stores are not around the corner.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Margi, the espresso is fabulous, thank you! I bought it used almost 10 years ago. We take good care of it and it's held up very well, but I sometimes worry about being able to find parts should it need repair. Gaggia no longer makes this model, though I still see them selling on eBay from time to time.

Over the years, I've learned to make almost any Italian style coffee drink. The only problem is that guests will sometimes ask if we have any "regular coffee." I try to explain to them that at our house espresso is regular coffee. If they still complain, I hand them a jar of instant coffee, and let them make their own.
Give the guest a lungo, it's easy enough to add some hot water to an espresso. It will be more like regular coffee. I drink lungos all the time, because I find I can taste subtle flavours in the coffee that way. Espresso courto is so intense I miss the subtle stuff.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I picked up this terra cotta cooker from Italy that is supposed to contain volcanic ash. It is a bugger to clean, so I only used it once. It looks cool hanging form the range hood...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9256_1_ac7556.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	13387  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Nothing fancy, but I guess it would be the Swedish Love Knot on the kitchen wall. It has a little card that says, "According to tradition, if you hang a Swedish Love Knot in your home your family will have good health and happiness throughout the years!" I can't even remember who gave it to us (a wedding gift, I think), but since my grandparents were from Sweden, I especially love it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Give the guest a lungo, it's easy enough to add some hot water to an espresso. It will be more like regular coffee.
I've done that. Most coffee shops in this area sell those as Caffè Americano, or just plain Americano. Basically, as you say, a lungo with hot water added.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I've done that. Most coffee shops in this area sell those as Caffè Americano, or just plain Americano. Basically, as you say, a lungo with hot water added.
I don't know what the exact difference is between a lungo or allongé and an Americano, but if I'm in a coffee shop the lungo or allongé always taste better than the Americano.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know what the exact difference is between a lungo or allongé and an Americano, but if I'm in a coffee shop the lungo or allongé always taste better than the Americano.
I know what you mean. Americanos (Americani?) in coffee shops always taste bitter or burnt to me. I've read that it stems from using water from the boiler of the espresso machine. Not the way I would make it at home.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Last visitor in my kitchen commented on how to "clean" my Debuyer pans so they would shine like new...they hang above the sink. I had to explain how they were seasoned just right for cooking and that they were used regularly, not for show.

Tags
kitchen