"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
Executive Chef

In answer to the title question, no humans.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
In answer to the title question, no humans.
Very true! Gaea can take care of herself.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I also hang on to plastic produce bags from the grocery store and use them for partly used veggies. Sometimes I'll use half an onion and half of two or three colors of bell peppers. I put all the rest in a produce bag so I can pull them all out at once the next day. That way, I'm less likely to lose bits and pieces in the back somewhere.
I use those bags to pick up doggy doo when I walk the dogs!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I use those bags to pick up doggy doo when I walk the dogs!
Another good reuse Our neighborhood civic league has put doo-doo bag dispensers in our parks, so DH uses those. I believe they're made from recycled plastic.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just the two of us here and I don't think we generate an unusual amount of any variety of waste.

I've always used cloth napkins, so no paper ones here. None in the house. Paper towels are seldom used and when I buy a case at Sam's it's not unusual for a case to last a couple of years. Even when Glenn is working on a vehicle in his shop/garage, he uses old rags that get washed if they aren't too far gone with yuck.

I use the Ziploc-type storage containers that lunch meats come in for other storage and especially like them because they hold the right quantity of things for two to go into the freezer. Plus I like their stackability.

We make our own laundry detergent, which keeps large plastic containers out of the landfill and, in my view, works better anyway. We also mix up our own version of Roundup that I know works better and is environmentally friendly.

Very little plastic wrap is used and a small amount of waxed paper or parchment, depending on what I'm cooking/baking. I just bought a new package of plastic wrap last week. The previous one was around for at least 2 years. The parchment paper on the current roll is turning a nice mellow yellow-orange I've had it so long. Sandwich bags of any size are rarely used.

When I used to travel, haven't for a long time, I always brought home the unused hotel-provided shower caps to use as bowl covers. Since then I've added a few more purchased at the grocery store.

We have a compost site where we dispose of our vegetable matter. I save our washed egg shells to grind for my vegetable garden to feed the plants calcium. The tomatoes, squash and peppers love it. I store the clean shells in a mesh bag (like onions come in) and hang it in an outbuilding.

All our extraneous plastic bags, which include grocery/produce bags, bags that come in online shipped items, along with deflated packing "pillows" go into the recycling container at the grocery store every week when I shop. I keep a few to use around the house, but no more than half a dozen. There are about 6 cloth grocery bags I brought from my days living in D.C. They're now over 25-years-old and still going strong.

We have a trash service that has provided a two-wheel large bin that is placed at the end of the driveway for trash day. However...

Last year I learned of a recycling service, offered by a local waste management company, that has a big roll-off bin in the parking area of our local YMCA. I pass that site twice per month, so once a month I deposit all our glass, cans/metal, plastic and paper/cardboard goods.

Since we've been availing ourselves of the recycling option, use the compost pile faithfully and feed a lot of the protein waste to our canine garbage disposal, Harley, our "take out" trash has reduced significantly.

We have a 13-gallon (standard kitchen size) waste can in the kitchen that used to have to be emptied several times a week. Now, I empty it on the first of the month, whether it needs it or not. There's no odor because all the vegetation goes outside, Harley disposes of some of the protein matter, most of the rest of stuff is sent to recycling. Really, the only things left are tissues from the bathroom and assorted paper goods, a few minor hard plastics and styrofoam containers the recycling center doesn't accept. An added benefit is that fewer plastic trash bags are used. We save money and they don't go to the dump.

Since we're still paying a quarterly fee for the trash service, we feel obligated to at least roll a half can-full to the curb. We are weaning ourselves and it's only a matter of time before we cancel.

None of what we've implemented has been particularly difficult to do. I especially like the fact that there's no more slightly smelly (usually onions) kitchen trash can and the task of taking the bin to the curb is infrequent, soon to be nonexistent.

I really don't know what else we can do to make a smaller footprint, but I'm always thinking.....
Old 07-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm almost embarrassed about how little garbage we produce. We also compost, and recycle plastic, glass, cardboard/paper and metal. Once a week, I wheel out my huge garbage can that contains one small grocery bag of unrecyclable trash. Some of our neighbors can fill two or more of these behemoths weekly. I have no idea what they eat or buy. We've even discussed with one of our neighbors about just sharing a trash can, and splitting the cost, as he doesn't produce much trash either.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I do use my plastic grocery bags to line my house trash receptacles. I have a garbage disposal, but no means for a compost pile. Otherwise I would. I had one when I lived in Everett. Each spring, I would add it to my flower beds out front. I nursed that compost pile as if it was my newborn baby. It gave me some beautiful flowers.

I use zippy bags for my meats in the freezer. I can fit more in there as they lay flat. When I am baking, I use a lot of wax paper. I find it easier to add ingredients spoonful by spoonful, and finally slide the last bit in. I use very little foil. Most of my baking dishes have covers when needed. For cookies and cakes, I have parchment paper. I really do make a very serious attempt to be environmentally aware all the time. I want to leave a better footprint for my grandchildren.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I do use my plastic grocery bags to line my house trash receptacles.
I wasn't referring to plastic grocery bags but specifically to the thinner bags in the produce section.