"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have a friend who is ultra, ultra thin (it's genetic AND she works out) and she had me pick out a really good knife for her - the other friend that was with me said "why does SHE need a knife"? I was like......um...........you're kidding, right?

People think because she is thin she obviously can't cook. Which also equates to - I CAN cook because "thin" I'm not. Which is why the girl then said "I bet you have some good knives". Let's just say she was in trouble with both of us.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

This is great news Miss Elf!!

I have two knife blocks & one drawer full of knives. (some of them good) Now I know what to blame my constant battle with weight on! It's the knives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who'd a thunk it????

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I have a friend who is ultra, ultra thin (it's genetic AND she works out) and she had me pick out a really good knife for her - the other friend that was with me said "why does SHE need a knife"? I was like......um...........you're kidding, right?

People think because she is thin she obviously can't cook. Which also equates to - I CAN cook because "thin" I'm not. Which is why the girl then said "I bet you have some good knives". Let's just say she was in trouble with both of us.
That's basicaly like me. When people find out I cook professionally, they're like, "How do you stay so thin?"

I'm like, just because I cook for a living doesn't mean I'm going to look like Sam Choy. I know more professional cooks who are thin versus those that are not.

LOL I probably would've replied with something along those same lines. Or I would've said, "You must have A LOT of knives then, huh?"
Old 07-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom
..he lives at home and his mum cooks his dinner and make his lunch for work :D:D:D (he is about 25) so maybe i should just ignore his stupid comment LOLLLLL
and you would take such a person seriously? puhleeeeezzzzz

Not to worry. Kids grow up and sometimes turn into reasonable human beings that you actually enjoy talking to.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I think he was trying to flirt with you in hopes of getting a meal prepared by someone other than mom.

Elf-That was a funny story. I have lots of knives, the cooking type can probabally be found at kitchen stores looking at knives.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:

Don't you just want to say "Open your mouth a little wider, so you can put both feet in it."
Old 07-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
...Which also equates to - I CAN cook because "thin" I'm not. Which is why the girl then said "I bet you have some good knives". Let's just say she was in trouble with both of us.
I'm surprised you didn't impress her right then and there with your knife skills!

Barbara
Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #18
Master Chef

It's also been my experience that the "foodies" are also the ones with sagging shelves of cookbooks, recipe files, cooking magazines, tv's tuned to cooking shows, and food-stained favorite cookbooks with notes written inside etc. Never mind if they are thin or thin-challenged. My nephew and I fought over a cookbook that my wonderful m-i-l owned for a thousand years and seniority won out. His mother gave it to me and not him. I'll get him another new edition for Christmas. :) Glad to see another cook evolving. By the way I had to use a ton of packing tape to hold it together.