What is the "Cooking Type?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rom

Sous Chef
I was sitting here...at work lol..and some guy looks at my pc screen (im thinking mind ur own busness) and he goes "I didn't pick you for the cooking type" I am like "What is that supposed to mean rah rah rah?". I don't know why but it annoyed me LOL So exactly what is the cooking type supposed to look like exactly lol:LOL:

Could it be because you were sitting at your desk wearing a "Kiss the Cook" apron and were salting and peppering your keyboard? :LOL: I have a feeling that a lot of people would never really be able to pick out the "cooking type" just on looks, or even personality. As far as I know we all look just like "normal" people!

:) Barbara

Well obviously the cooking type looks like the best looking, coolest of the bunch. Everyone knows that.

Good question, Rom. What exactly is a cooking type anyway?

Of course, we had the sterotypical guy with the apron and chef's toque standing over the charcoal grill in the '50s. And, there's the "mom" type with her apron and stew pot. There are many others and none of them are what could be described as a "cooking type."

Perhaps the person who posed the question was envious of the fact that you could sustain yourself and not resort to fast food and pre-packaged foods in the grocery store.

Just enjoy your skills and enjoy his/her curiosity.

Barbara...how did u know what i was wearing? lol

GB & Uncle Bob understatement

Katie
...he lives at home and his mum cooks his dinner and make his lunch for work :D:D:D (he is about 25) so maybe i should just ignore his stupid comment LOLLLLL

Rom said:
he lives at home and his mum cooks his dinner and make his lunch for work :D:D:D (he is about 25) so maybe i should just ignore his stupid comment LOLLLLL
Well there you go--he thought all cooks looked like his mum!

AND don't forget that good cooks are always evolving, too---my cousins used to fling my sandwiches and meatloaf out the window (even Queenie the Boston terrier ran away from my culinary attempts) when I babysat them as a teenager but they don't fling my food out anymore---when I say that I'm going to cook I have all the help in the world. :) I think that Julia Child (and I would NEVER compare myself to her) said that she wasn't much of a cook when she was younger and look what she evolved into. jso hang in there!!

expatgirl said:
I think that Julia Child (and I would NEVER compare myself to her) said that she wasn't much of a cook when she was younger and look what she evolved into. jso hang in there!!
You are so right, expat. Julia had no interest and had no reason to cook until she was nearly 40-years-old. She was quite wealthy and had everything done for her. When she met Paul Child, who was a real foodie, she became determined to win him. She threw herself into cooking and, as they say, the rest is history.

By the way, my signature says everything I said in one sentence.

I have a friend who is ultra, ultra thin (it's genetic AND she works out) and she had me pick out a really good knife for her - the other friend that was with me said "why does SHE need a knife"? I was like......um...........you're kidding, right?

People think because she is thin she obviously can't cook. Which also equates to - I CAN cook because "thin" I'm not. Which is why the girl then said "I bet you have some good knives". Let's just say she was in trouble with both of us.
:LOL: :mad: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :mad: :glare:

This is great news Miss Elf!!

I have two knife blocks & one drawer full of knives. (some of them good) Now I know what to blame my constant battle with weight on! It's the knives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who'd a thunk it????:LOL:

kitchenelf said:
I have a friend who is ultra, ultra thin (it's genetic AND she works out) and she had me pick out a really good knife for her - the other friend that was with me said "why does SHE need a knife"? I was like......um...........you're kidding, right?

People think because she is thin she obviously can't cook. Which also equates to - I CAN cook because "thin" I'm not. Which is why the girl then said "I bet you have some good knives". Let's just say she was in trouble with both of us.

That's basicaly like me. When people find out I cook professionally, they're like, "How do you stay so thin?"

I'm like, just because I cook for a living doesn't mean I'm going to look like Sam Choy. I know more professional cooks who are thin versus those that are not.

LOL I probably would've replied with something along those same lines. Or I would've said, "You must have A LOT of knives then, huh?"

Last edited:
Rom said:
..he lives at home and his mum cooks his dinner and make his lunch for work :D:D:D (he is about 25) so maybe i should just ignore his stupid comment LOLLLLL

and you would take such a person seriously? puhleeeeezzzzz

Not to worry. Kids grow up and sometimes turn into reasonable human beings that you actually enjoy talking to.

I think he was trying to flirt with you in hopes of getting a meal prepared by someone other than mom.

Elf-That was a funny story. I have lots of knives, the cooking type can probabally be found at kitchen stores looking at knives.

kitchenelf said:

Don't you just want to say "Open your mouth a little wider, so you can put both feet in it.":rolleyes:

kitchenelf said:
...Which also equates to - I CAN cook because "thin" I'm not. Which is why the girl then said "I bet you have some good knives". Let's just say she was in trouble with both of us.
I'm surprised you didn't impress her right then and there with your knife skills! :LOL: :angel:

It's also been my experience that the "foodies" are also the ones with sagging shelves of cookbooks, recipe files, cooking magazines, tv's tuned to cooking shows, and food-stained favorite cookbooks with notes written inside etc. Never mind if they are thin or thin-challenged. My nephew and I fought over a cookbook that my wonderful m-i-l owned for a thousand years and seniority won out. His mother gave it to me and not him. I'll get him another new edition for Christmas. :) Glad to see another cook evolving. By the way I had to use a ton of packing tape to hold it together.

Back
Top Bottom