"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
You can also ask that he put a baggie around the can so that so that if it explodes it can be somewhat contained.

There is a trick to quick-colding (I do mean cold, not cool) a can of anything.

Fill a bowl with ice, then with water (you want this to be very icey water). Put in the can. Then spin it for a minute (actually less). I'm not kidding, this will give you an icey cold beverage in less time than a freezer will. Many military men I've known (and I've known more than a few) use this method in hotel rooms when on TDYs when faced with warm beer and an ice maker. I'm sure there is a science behind it (centrifigal force?) but it works faster than freezers or just putting the drink in an ice water bath and waiting.
You can also do it this way a bucket of ice a few sprinkles of rock salt and some water works like an ice cream maker.Super fast chill.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm guilty of blowing up a Diet Pepsi or 2, I never thought to put a bag around it, good idea!
I always keep at least a Martini glass in the freezer though. Downstairs in the big freezer so it has less chance of getting knocked onto the floor in the kitchen.
Winter isn't so bad, I can set a soda outside. If it blows...... it's more oops than OH .
Today it may blow up in an hour.....

Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Master Chef

Yea, I like the bag idea too.... I suggested that to hubby and he looked at me like I was crazy. Ok, so that is how it's gonna be, well, next time this happens, I wake your bum up and you can clean it!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Yea, I like the bag idea too.... I suggested that to hubby and he looked at me like I was crazy. Ok, so that is how it's gonna be, well, next time this happens, I wake your bum up and you can clean it!!!!
LOL - I can see he will start using bags very soon....
Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
You can also ask that he put a baggie around the can so that so that if it explodes it can be somewhat contained.

There is a trick to quick-colding (I do mean cold, not cool) a can of anything.

Fill a bowl with ice, then with water (you want this to be very icey water). Put in the can. Then spin it for a minute (actually less). I'm not kidding, this will give you an icey cold beverage in less time than a freezer will. Many military men I've known (and I've known more than a few) use this method in hotel rooms when on TDYs when faced with warm beer and an ice maker. I'm sure there is a science behind it (centrifigal force?) but it works faster than freezers or just putting the drink in an ice water bath and waiting.

claire, those work by incresing the surface area of the soda to come in contact with the cold water and ice. by spinning the can, the soda is constantly spreading out against the can, which is being chilled.
also, using water with the ice helps to conduct the heat away from the can.

the baggie idea is great! thanks. someone is always leaving cans in the freezer at work, and never cleans it up.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote