What is the deal with frozen drinks???!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
My dear dear dear hubby has to 'chill' all his drinks prior to consumption. Meaning, when he has a :dew:, or a Red Bull, it goes into the freezer for a spell and then he tests it out to see if it is chilled enough and returns it for more chilling if need be. I don't drink the stuff, but when I do want a sip of his, it is always to the slushy state and I can barely muster a drink!!!

Here is what irritates me to NO END!!! This morning I get up and look in the fridge.... well whadd-ya-know???? There is a Dew in the freezer that has exploded and I spent 30 minutes trying to clean that crud up!!!! :mad::angry::censored::censored: :furious:

Ok, I think you get the picture!!! I keep telling him to set the timer or something so he wont forget but he is afraid of waking me up!!! :bash:

Why does he need them so cold anyway????????? :huh:

Gee, I dunno about that cold, but I am very much a fan of cold for beverages that are supposed to be cold. I'll sometimes put beverages in the freezer to expedite the chill, but I'm usually planning on consuming them relatively soon so I'm not likely to forget them.

We keep our fridge pretty cold, just above the point where the milk starts to freeze. T'aint nothing like a big glass of ice cold milk!

We keep our fridge slightly above the median leven they reccommend to set it at. So to me, any drinks or what not are plenty cold to me. Now, I'm not above chilling a beer a bit colder than what my fridge does, but I just don't get why the soda pops have to be so cold. And why he has to forget them... grrrrr!

sattie, has he tried using chilled mugs? i know some drinks don't go well with ice, and drinks like the dew and red bull are nasty unless ice freakin cold.

umm, wait, before you metion that to your hubby, do you have room inn your freezer for a few mugs? thick glass and thick metal mugs retain their cold the best. the ones with a gel or water type reservoir inside the mug are good but eventually crack and become useless.

just a thought.

sattie, has he tried using chilled mugs? i know some drinks don't go well with ice, and drinks like the dew and red bull are nasty unless ice freakin cold.

umm, wait, before you metion that to your hubby, do you have room inn your freezer for a few mugs? thick glass and thick metal mugs retain their cold the best. the ones with a gel or water type reservoir inside the mug are good but eventually crack and become useless.

just a thought.
:)Like the frosty mugs you used to get at A&W

Hey buckytom... that is a good idea. I'm like you, I think they are best when icy cold. I may try and find something like that. That way it should be chilled to the last drink!

I love my drinks very cold and used to keep iceblocks in the fridge so that I could have them slightly melted and have the coldest water going! There is nothing quite as nice as a slushie. I put iceblocks in just about all of my cold drinks, incl milk.

I always keep a mug and a glass in the fridge to make sure my drinks don't get warmed up by a warm glass. I don't put glass bottles in the freezer in case I forget them, so I will transfer to plastic instead if I feel the need.

I had one of those chill mugs where you stuck the innards in the freezer and the drinks would start to freeze up to make a slushy but I didn't find it worked that well and it did take up a lot of space.

Have to say Sattie that you are a lot nicer than me, cos I would have taken some of the ice shards and dropped it on him in bed until he got up to clean up!!!LOL

How about buying him a bar freezer so he can do his drinks the way he wants to his hearts content and he can maintain it too!!

You can also ask that he put a baggie around the can so that so that if it explodes it can be somewhat contained.

There is a trick to quick-colding (I do mean cold, not cool) a can of anything.

Fill a bowl with ice, then with water (you want this to be very icey water). Put in the can. Then spin it for a minute (actually less). I'm not kidding, this will give you an icey cold beverage in less time than a freezer will. Many military men I've known (and I've known more than a few) use this method in hotel rooms when on TDYs when faced with warm beer and an ice maker. I'm sure there is a science behind it (centrifigal force?) but it works faster than freezers or just putting the drink in an ice water bath and waiting.

You can also ask that he put a baggie around the can so that so that if it explodes it can be somewhat contained.

Fill a bowl with ice, then with water (you want this to be very icey water). Put in the can. Then spin it for a minute (actually less). I'm not kidding, this will give you an icey cold beverage in less time than a freezer will. Many military men I've known (and I've known more than a few) use this method in hotel rooms when on TDYs when faced with warm beer and an ice maker. I'm sure there is a science behind it (centrifigal force?) but it works faster than freezers or just putting the drink in an ice water bath and waiting.

Now I may have to take this idea for a spin.... no pun intended!!! Sounds great!

:)You can also do it this way a bucket of ice a few sprinkles of rock salt and some water works like an ice cream maker.Super fast chill.

I'm guilty of blowing up a Diet Pepsi or 2, I never thought to put a bag around it, good idea!
I always keep at least a Martini glass in the freezer though. Downstairs in the big freezer so it has less chance of getting knocked onto the floor in the kitchen.
Winter isn't so bad, I can set a soda outside. If it blows...... it's more oops than OH :censored:.
Today it may blow up in an hour.....:glare:

Yea, I like the bag idea too.... I suggested that to hubby and he looked at me like I was crazy. Ok, so that is how it's gonna be, well, next time this happens, I wake your bum up and you can clean it!!!!

claire, those work by incresing the surface area of the soda to come in contact with the cold water and ice. by spinning the can, the soda is constantly spreading out against the can, which is being chilled.
also, using water with the ice helps to conduct the heat away from the can.

the baggie idea is great! thanks. someone is always leaving cans in the freezer at work, and never cleans it up.

Back
Top Bottom