"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: What is the First Thing You Check on Nutrition Labels?
Fat 1 5.56%
Cholesterol 0 0%
Sodium 9 50.00%
Carbohydrate 5 27.78%
Sugar 0 0%
Fiber 0 0%
Protein 0 0%
Other (Please specify below) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

What I look for on a label depends on the product. I'm more concerned with the food ingredients than the non-food ingredients. e.g., a can of corned beef should have corned beef as it's first ingredient.

In fruit preserves, the fewer ingredients I see the better - the fruit on the label (listed first) then sugar, pectin and citric acid. That's the best. When I see several different sugars and other fruit juices etc, I pass.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Head Chef

For us it is carbs, do to health issues but I am amazed (I shouldn't be) by the things manufacturers will pu in food. I was shocked the first time I read a label on Lawry's Seasoned salt and noticed that the second ingredient in it was sugar! There is something just so wrong about putting sugar in salt.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Everymom

I check for preservatives first, and for any aluminum derivatives. Then I check the fat content.

I have to be honest, I look at the label of everything I buy and some stuff isn't worth my hard earned cash.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I view labels in much the same manner as Andy M. However, since we have a garden and can and/or freeze many of our fruits and veggies and I can a lot of tomato sauce, etc., this leaves little to review at the market. Those products are pretty much eliminated. I also make all our bread products, so I know what has gone into those as well. We consume very few carbonated beverages, which are, in our view, useless anyway. Our breakfast foods during the week would be deemed incredibly boring and tasteless to our children (oatmeal, shredded wheat, etc.). This leaves mostly produce, and protein foods (meat, fish, poultry, etc.). Dairy is simple enough for us as we drink milk and prefer good quality cheeses, which are surprisingly available at our local Kroger store.

When it comes to reading a label, if the ingredient is impossible to pronounce and has a multitude of syllables, it can't be good for us.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Head Chef

I check for salt first, then for ingredients whose names I cannot pronounce. I don't like chemicals added to my food, and I can always add salt if necessary. It is harder to remove salt if there is too much.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL! I guess most things, if they have more than 5 ingredients I don't even bother. I don't buy that many processed foods anymore, all of the things I do buy have already been vetted for ingredients.

I managed to clear 7 canned and boxed items from my pantry when I went on the fat restriction and really paid attention to the sodium.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't read the labels on my food
No health problems, nothing I need to avoid (except eating too much), I'm just not a label watcher. Oh wait, I try to avoid labels that say "lite" or "reduced sodium"

Now dog food... that is a different story. Dog foods aren't regulated like the food we humans eat, so it is much more likely something is being added that shouldn't be in there or that may affect our dogs' health in certain cases.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't read the labels on my food
No health problems, nothing I need to avoid (except eating too much), I'm just not a label watcher. Oh wait, I try to avoid labels that say "lite" or "reduced sodium"

Now dog food... that is a different story. Dog foods aren't regulated like the food we humans eat, so it is much more likely something is being added that shouldn't be in there or that may affect our dogs' health in certain cases.
I perk up and really read labels when I do see the words "reduced sodium" or "lite." I want to see what they have added to make it "taste better" most often they have added more fat or carbs or...

I saw Hillshire Farms has a new Reduced Sodium line of their lunchmeats. Read the label, the only thing reduced WAS the sodium and no odd additives. My first instinct on tasting it was deciding it needed more salt. Now I've gotten used to it and it tastes great!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Senior Cook

checking labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
If you are like me you check nutrition labels for more than one thing, but what is the one thing you check for the most? For me it is sodium. I take two medicines for high blood pressure, and I have to watch my sodium levels, so that is the thing I look at first.

If two products are similar I will buy the one with the lower sodium level. I love Velveeta cheese now and then (even though it is high in sodium), but I found out that the store brand (Food Lion's tastes just as good) is much lower in sodium, so I buy that instead.

So, what is the first thing you look at?

Barbara

I check fat and sodium. But, origin of product is criticial in my shopping.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...My first instinct on tasting it was deciding it needed more salt. Now I've gotten used to it and it tastes great!
Now that there is funny