What is the perfect Deli food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little different take, from a business perspective...

Where would the deli be located? As much as I love a good deli Reuben, would the local clientele be of the same opinion? Would they want sandwiches at all, or would they prefer something different (wraps, stuffed pita halves, etc.)?

A great restaurant will always be based on great food, but a successful business will always be based on providing what its customers want. It may be a bit of "cart before the horse" to pick out a potential menu before having an idea of who your customers would be.

(Granted, if you already have a general area picked out and know the demographic this post is just taking up cyberspace :mrgreen:)

A little different take, from a business perspective...

Where would the deli be located? As much as I love a good deli Reuben, would the local clientele be of the same opinion? Would they want sandwiches at all, or would they prefer something different (wraps, stuffed pita halves, etc.)?

A great restaurant will always be based on great food, but a successful business will always be based on providing what its customers want. It may be a bit of "cart before the horse" to pick out a potential menu before having an idea of who your customers would be.

(Granted, if you already have a general area picked out and know the demographic this post is just taking up cyberspace :mrgreen:)
The other side of the coin is that you may introduce an area to something previously unknown that they will end up loving.

Of course if it were me and my money then I would take John's advice and play it safe. Let someone else take the risk of opening something that people may or may not be open to.

hey, you could name the different sandwiches after us!

we could have a thread for members to suggest the ingredients for our namesake sandwiches.

of course, gw's would have to be loaded with turkey...
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

`Running a retail business is about selling your customers what THEY want to buy --- Not what YOU want to sell them --- Read RonJohn's post (#21) again --- Also read GB's post (#24) ... There is wisdom there too --- Nothing wrong with offering some things that would cross cultural/ethnic boundries in an attempt to grow and expand your business.

Have Fun!

The make your own sandwich thing is a great idea however you have to worry about sanitation issues then. I personally would not go into a deli where I made it myself like that. I am germ phobic though.
I agree with you about the food bar thing. I don't spend a lot of time around them. I have not thought about the logistics of the concept as I have never entertained notion of the ownership of a restaurant. You guys work too too hard for too many hours for too little pay, and almost no thanks for my taste. Perhaps a made to order system with preparation ala Subway. Important, as noted, know your target market, and give them want they want.

Perhaps a made to order system with preparation ala Subway. Important, as noted, know your target market, and give them want they want.
Every deli I have been in does actually have that. You tell them the type of bread, filling, condiments, and extras and they make it up for you. If they have it in the shop they will create it as long as you pay ;)

Depends upon the kind of deli. Italian? Kosher? Kosher-style? other?

I don't think too much about desserts in a deli. I'm focused on the meat and/or cheese and condiments.

For a Kosher -r Kosher-style deli, I think Pastrami, Corned Beef, RARE Roast Beef. for Italian, I think of all the great Salumi available, and house-made mozzarella.

Every deli I have been in does actually have that. You tell them the type of bread, filling, condiments, and extras and they make it up for you. If they have it in the shop they will create it as long as you pay ;)
Unfortunately, Richmond does not have a good, or even decent, deli, where you can get a made to order sandwich. Most of them here, you order the number 6, and that is what you get, double meat, double cheese, hold the lettuce, that's about it. Maybe that is what I would like to create.

Unfortunately, Richmond does not have a good, or even decent, deli, where you can get a made to order sandwich. Most of them here, you order the number 6, and that is what you get, double meat, double cheese, hold the lettuce, that's about it. Maybe that is what I would like to create.
That sounds like a sandwich shop, not a deli. This is just my opinion though. That does not mean I am right ;)

Totally agree with you, as far as I know, there is not a real deli that makes a sandwich from the meat case, on homemade bread, with top quality ingredients, to order, in the Richmond area. Wish there were.

:) I would be sure to offer a couple of great vegetarian sandwiches as well. I know of a few that I like even though I'm not a vegetarian. You pretty much would have all the ingredients anyway.

This was such a good idea. You have all given me such great ideas. I never would have thought of some of these details. House made mozzarella and pickles, daily specials, vegetarian options. I really appreciate all of the great feedback. I have a lot to think about.

You all OFFICIALLY rock!!

Back
Top Bottom