"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I don't like any of the chain pizza places or any frozen store-bought pizza so far. So we stick to the mom & pop type joints. However the worst we ever had was at a small, family-owned Italian restaurant where we ordered a bacon topped pizza which we normally love (as long as the bacon is crispy). This particular one had half-cooked bacon, really rubbery and the grease from the bacon was swimming around with the grease from the cheese, the crust was soggy and dripping. We didn't eat it and never went there again!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
Head Chef

you nailed it on the head Tat .. its like eating cardboard ...
horrid stuff ..
also the barbecue chix one at chuck e cheese .. inedible ..

Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Head Chef

Sorta agree with jeninga - most pizza has something to recommend it.

Grew up, OK was weaned, on NYC pizza and it is one of my few excuses for going back to the place. Ambrosia. Boston piizza, South end, is second.

But as far as bad goes, frozen pizza. Used to keep one around for desperate times but no more. If there is a good one would be willing to give it a try.

And refuse to go to Pizza Hut - maybe they have improved their product in 25 years. That was the last time I was there. Had a recent report from someone whose opinion on pizza I trust greatly and it was apparently a dismal pie.

Domino's is the only place that delivers out where we are so when we get home from a long trip and just crave some pizza will sometimes call. But when not sleepy and under the influence would not consider the stuff.

Where we live will usually only get pizza at local places. Some make a very decent pie - not inspired - but darned good. A heck of a lot better than the chains.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue View Post
Worst pizza crust is that thin stuff that taste like triscuit crackers. I hate those cheap frozen pizzas with the artificial meat/soy or flour or something??? Stale moz cheese that really doesn't melt. Finding soggy pepperoni under the sauce and cheese...Yuk! Pizza cut into little squares. Personal Pan Pizza that is served in the little black greasy skillet.

Pizza coupons 2 for 1 and only one topping. Ordering two med pizza for $20 and adding a $1.98 order of breadsticks and getting charged $32.

Finding hog roasted meat on the pizza instead of ham. Canadian Bacon is not the same as bologna. Summer sausage is not pepperoni. Bread crumbs is not the same as extra cheese topping. Manwich is not pizza sauce. Pizza dough is not made from biscuit mix.
You said it all StirBlue
Couldn't agree more!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Mine is any of the four pizza shops in my dinky town I don't know how people can say they are good. And three of them cost a fortune! The fourth is Little Sneezers and if I want a pizza, that's where I go

I drive 25 minutes both ways when I want a real pizza.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

6th grade cafeteria.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
Head Chef

I remember that stuff. It came with a fruit cup and lime jello.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
6th grade cafeteria.

We have a winner!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
There's no such thing as a bad pizza
Oh, yeah there is! I'm not sure what city it was in but it was within about a 30-minute drive from U. Mass at Lowell. I don't remember the name of the place but it should have been called "Montezuma's Revenge Pizza" and the box should have included both the skull-n-crossbones poison logo, and the one for biohazard! And, a coupon for a large bottle of Kaopectate

As I remember it ... it was a large (16-18 inch) crust with about 3-4 tablespoons sauce - topped with about a pound of slivered white onions and slightly less sliced green bell peppers - topped with about 1/4 cup mozzarella. The crust was barely done, the cheese was just melted, the onions and peppers were slightly warm but totally raw.

But, then to salvage the reputation of MA - two of the best pizzas I ever had were in MA ... one in Boston in the little Italy area, and a seafood pizza in another unknown town somewhere near Lowell.

These days I'm lucky - I've got a place just down the street run by two Italian brothers from Brooklyn - and they deliver!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Hands down worst ever was Papa Johns and they don't even attempt to correct it. I mean, most places at least try and fix mistakes. Not Papa Johns. I guess they figure there are enough people in our town they don't need repeat business. What seriously peeved me off was that I live less than 10 minutes away but the driver had orders for "The Pointe" (aka the rich section of town) 30 minutes away. Rather than delivering mine on the way to The Pointe, he waited and delivered mine last. Totally jacked up. Three years and I still haven't ordered from them again.