"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #21
Master Chef

As a general rule, I find even a poor pizza still OK. But here's a story.

My husband's birthday and mine are a day apart. I'd planned a great weekend for us. We got to the condo I'd reserved to find it filthy from the last tennants, so opted out of that. Then we went to a beach-side location for a picnic with all of the food I'd packed for the condo weekend, only to find the location taped off with crime scene tape and cops all over the place. Finally we decided to go to our neighborhood sushi bar for a little saki and sushi, only to find that it was out of business. Home again, we decided on a delivered pizza only to find it totally inedible. We just gave up and went to bed, having pretty much exhausted our options. The "coffee table" I had (still do) is really a Japanese table meant for dining, very wide. We left the pizza on the table as we stumbled up to bed. In the morning we got up to find that our very small puppy (no way could she even see the top of the table) and savvy cat, sitting there, bellies full, burping. Pizza on the floor. The cat had literally pulled the pizza on the floor to share it with the puppy (she cold have easily climbed up and kept the pizza to herself).

Oh, well; one's trash is another's treasure.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, well; one's trash is another's treasure.
They probably would have found the condo acceptable, too

I've taken to frozen pizza because of my situation. You can't beat those California Sicilian thin crust pizzas when they're on sale for 5 bucks Beats the local pizzas anyway. I should really start making my own again, but that takes away from part of the convenience of eating pizza.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
well I have to be entirely honest and say the Worst ever was one that I made myself many years ago whilst I was still trying to master the art, I had quite a few barely edible disasters.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Are we including the english muffin and tomato paste pizzas my Ex used to make?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

the pizza at 6 flags-great adventure was about the worst i've ever had.

i was unable to distunguish between the box and the crust, and the cheese was really just a layer of something gooey under yellowish oil.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Domino's ...by far the worst around here.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Before this thread, I thought there wasn't such a thing as bad pizza!

The worst pizzas I've had were still semi-edible, but I can't decide whether the worst was a particular brand of the frozen stuff or the pizza they served in the dining halls at my university. I think I've just gotten lucky since I know the good places in my hometown and my boyfriend knows the good places in his (and those are basically the only places I've lived in).
Old 01-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
and the cheese was really just a layer of something gooey under yellowish oil.
well Imagine that with a soggyish base and loads too much topping, that was like my worst!
you needed a knife and fork to eat it and a ladle to put the topping back on coz` it all slid off, and you DON`T use Cheddar cheese else you get the yellow oil effect.

realistically I should have folded it in half a few times, shoved it in a bread tin and called it lasagna

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
Master Chef

Worst pizza I had was in my own home. I put too many toppings on it and the crust was basically raw. It was bad. Second worst was in Olongapo, Phillipines. It consisted of a thin, cracker type crust that was very tough, and a topping of tomato soup covered with creasy cheese.

My first foray into something other than the ver good thin-crust pizzas available at local piazarias in my home town was Square-Pan Pizza in San Diego. It was my first thick crust pizza experience and I was blown away. As for pizza chains, we liked Chicago Brothers Pizza in Spokane Washington.

My tastes aren't so ecclectic that I shy away from Dominoes, or Pizza Hut. I also eat Little Ceasar's pizza. But I order the toppings I like and ask that they be put under the cheese so that the pepperoni doesn't dry out and get all salty on me. I also ask for extra sauce on all my pizzas, and make sure they have mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni, onion, and green peppers.

Actually, the Little Ceasar's in my town does a good job at cooking their pizza. I don't like the crazy bread though.

We have a little hole-in-the-wall place called Upper Crust Pizza. It changed names after being purchased from teh original owner who called it King's Pizza. They serve this thing that is like a calzone, but is shaped like a pastie and filled with whatever you like. It's called a pizza pastie and is unique to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. And it's a wonderful thing. Upper Crust also serves a host of gourmet pizzas that are heavenly. But they can get pricey. For the best pizza ever, I'll weigh in with the pizza pastie. It can be had with traditional pizza ingredients, or be made with taco fillings, or whatever. Yum!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
6th grade cafeteria.
Oh man we had that crap all through middle and high school too !