"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
What is this noise?

For the past couple of days, I hear what sounds like a plastic bottle/jar exploding. I had some 4 l jars I hadn't washed...thought that was it. Well, the jars are washed, lids are off, and I heard this sound again today. Any ideas what I should look for now as the culprit? I do have a propane furnace, but it is off since I've been doing my "let's see if I can heat with only wood this year" trial (and it has been a trial). Could the propane furnace be the source? Plumbing (water in the line/expansion?) This happens usually around 5-6 p.m. and it is just one "sorta" bang (it sounds the same as when I toss--don't hate me--a plastic bottle in the woodstove as fire starter). Any ideas what could be causing this?
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
For the past couple of days, I hear what sounds like a plastic bottle/jar exploding. I had some 4 l jars I hadn't washed...thought that was it. Well, the jars are washed, lids are off, and I heard this sound again today. Any ideas what I should look for now as the culprit? I do have a propane furnace, but it is off since I've been doing my "let's see if I can heat with only wood this year" trial (and it has been a trial). Could the propane furnace be the source? Plumbing (water in the line/expansion?) This happens usually around 5-6 p.m. and it is just one "sorta" bang (it sounds the same as when I toss--don't hate me--a plastic bottle in the woodstove as fire starter). Any ideas what could be causing this?
Does it sound like water hammer? You know, that sound the pipes make when there is air in them.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,408
Are any of your systems (heat, hot water, A/C, etc) running when you hear the noise?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,419
I would check the hot water heater myself. If it's old it could be on its last legs. Our last one was making some very strange popping and banging noises before we replaced it.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,161
I get loud popping/banging noise coming from my refrigerator - usually at night. Don't know the cause, but it operates fine.
__________________
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I get loud popping/banging noise coming from my refrigerator - usually at night. Don't know the cause, but it operates fine.

This gets my vote as well. Most freezers have an auto defrost cycle that runs daily. You could have some ice formed or maybe it's the defrosted drips hitting the drain pan or something else related to that process.
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
This gets my vote as well. Most freezers have an auto defrost cycle that runs daily. You could have some ice formed or maybe it's the defrosted drips hitting the drain pan or something else related to that process.
That could be my little freezer. The hot water tank is on a timer and not "on" when I hear the noise AND the noise originates in the area where the little freezer is. I've almost emptied it and can finish doing that tonight. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.