"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Master Chef
What is this plant?

How in the world do I get rid of it? I've tried digging it up but it has lots of underground vines and they break off. It spreads like crazy and gets about 3+ feet tall. I want to put a new flower bed in the area its in but I can't get rid of this stuff and I don't want it reappearing in my new flower bed.

The soil here has tons of small river rocks and the flower bed is up against the foundation so I really don't want to dig down deep. Is there something I can sprinkle on or spray on or will fabric weed sheets be enough to kill it?

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef
They're just weeds. If you let them get too tall, it will develop a pretty good root structure. The trick is to pull them close to the base when under 12" tall. If you turn the soil after all traces of foliage are gone, you can easily remove the root system they created. Keep picking though, they will soon dissapear.

My neighbor has tons of them on her property line (which is my property line) I have to go weed her *%$#^ @#$%^&* yard so they don't ruin my lawn.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
If you don't mond killing everything there, spray with Roundup and give it a couple of weeks.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Master Chef
What you have there is Mugwort, a member of the Artemisia family. It's common all over the U.S., Europe, & parts of Asia, & is used in a number of medicinal herbal preparations. It also used to be used as a "spring tonic" in salads, but is outrageously bitter & it's not currently advisable to use it for this purpose anymore.

That said, except for herbalist use, it's considered a noxious garden weed, but can easily be eradicated. While the root systems can be extensive, they're relatively shallow, & your best bet is to pull the plants up from ground level after a rain or a thorough hose soaking. If you do this consistently, whatever roots are left will lose strength, & there'll soon be no need to resort to chemicals or heavy digging (although RoundUp will also work if you're adverse to weeding).
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef
I think I would go with Breezycooking's advice. Get the ground wet then dig them out.

Roundup works good, but then your left with tall dead weeds, though you could rototill after they die back ( or turn them over by hand).
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Executive Chef
never seen it before. Sure glad I do not have it. But, I have my own persistent vegetation, like Johnson Grass. I swear, I have ripped out so much Johnson Grass I could mulch the earth several times over
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I agree with Andy, Roundup - that way you know they are dead.
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
no offense to anyone, but using roundup is a lazy and earth-unfriendly way of getting rid of weeds. people have become entirely too addicted to chemicals to solve simple lawn and garden problems.
overuse just a little of them, and they'll end up washing down the sewer, into lakes and rivers, and eventually back into your life in some way.
for years, people have thought that roundup was a "safe" chemical, so it has been used in increasingly more fragile environments. only recently has it's ill effects become documented.
the other little fun surprise is if pollen from genetically modified glysophate (the active ingredient in roundup) tolerant plants gets into wild crops. what are you gonna use to get rid of them? is there an end to this madness?

once you begin to go down the slippery slope of using and possibly abusing chemicals for every garden application, have fun trying to get back to where you started.

Biosafety Information Centre

mbox-32: GLYPHOSATE DANGERS (as in Roundup herbicide)

Point: Open pollination presents clear dangers / Counterpoint: Roundup Ready control area addresses concerns Golf Course News - Find Articles

just water then pull them, like breezy, amber, and jeekinz recommended.

i realize that many studies are flawed, or are just flat out propoganda. but at the very least, stop and think about it. maybe even do a little research.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Master Chef
My husband ran a strip mine, and was in charge of reclamation after the mine closed. The EPA, as you can imagine, was breathing down his neck the whole time.
They approve the use of Round-up, It is a systemic herbicide, which kills from the leaves down to the root. It is harmless to wild life, and does not poison the soil.
I suggest you use it, and save your time and strength for more creative pursuits.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
like cancer.

ddt was once an approved chemical. in fact, it was pushed on farmers.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote