"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #51
Executive Chef
My theme is Cat Proof and Cat Compatibility and Cat Friendly. I moved a table away from one of their favorite windows to make room to set up the tree. I hang non breakables on the lower branches with long enough cords so they can bat them around. The most fun I';ve had so far was actually putting up the tree. They both kept hopping in all the boxes of stuff and preferred that as opposed to the activity.

Lots of lights on my tree, and I usually light the fireplace this time of year. No other lamps on, and it's pretty cozy in the living room.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #52
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I have a few different themes and I really need to get them organized in their own bins this year.

This year, the year of our wedding we did the tree in our wedding colors, teal blue and purple, it's a new theme.

I have a red and gold theme, a blue and silver theme, and a silver and gold theme.

Some years I just do a mix of stuff and make it look more old fashioned and non themed to showcase the ornaments that are special to us, that tree has multicolored lights.

I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Most of the time the tree is decorated pretty traditionally and I like lots and lots of shimmery icicles. The kind that have to be draped over the limbs and get all over the carpet as the holiday goes on.

This year, the big hand-carved nativity that Buck and I put together on our many anniversary trips to Shepherdstown, WVA will be replaced with most of my nutcracker collection. We'll have lots of little ones around this year and I'm going to turn this year's theme a bit to whimsey.

Most of the rest of the house gets decorated with plenty of greenery (artificial) and many, many tiny lights. I really enjoy the sparkle they give when they're tucked in here and there.

I've included some pictures of this year's outside front entry decor. It's done in a slightly childlike manner, which I think the grandchildren will enjoy. The front door wreath is one we've had for several years and love.

We also have 3-foot tall lighted "L-E-O-Ns" flanking the studio. Looks pretty at night, along with the little lighted tree in the sleigh on the table and Frosty who changes from soft red to soft green. There's also a large Moravian star on one side of the front, which gives off a gentle white glow.

If you didn't get the LEON reference, it's just my twisted sense of humor. They're candles that have "N-O-E-L" embossed vertically along the length of the candle portion of them. I can't help myself, for years I've been calling them, "LEONs."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	20050   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	20051  

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	20052   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	20053  

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	20054  
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
Head Chef
I just picked up our newest tree.

It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
For those of you who have real trees, what do you do with them after you take them down? A few years we stuck ours in the snow out in the back yard and filled it with balls of suet rolled in bird seed and then hung on the dead tree. It kept the birds fed for many weeks. It not only gave the birds food, but a place to hide from the cold wind. My kids loved sitting in the kitchen window watching them.

Now, our city will provide free a large bag to place your tree in for pickup.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote