What is Your Christmas Decor Theme?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't follow a color theme much but I do like to make my Nativity the centerpiece on the mantle and the tree has a preponderance of angels and sentimental ornaments. My grandfather made some lovely wooden ornaments and my grandma painted and decorated them plus ones the kids made over the years.

I don't put up Christmas decorations before remembrance day, it is considered rude. It takes away from their day. I know many soldiers and am related to many, Nick is also one.

Saphellae, my DH puts lights up November 1 (or thereabouts) every year. We don't put up decorations, per say, but lights galore, inside and out. I never thought of it as rude. My Dad is a veteran of WWII and he always gets a chuckle about our lit up house. Don't think he has ever made a connection with Remembrance Day, which I respectfully acknowledge every year.

I apologize if it offends you.

Oh, our tree (which goes up 1st of December) is always just mostly white lights and simple gold ribbon and balls with some favourite decorations thrown on (but most of them are subtle colours. The rest of our house is just lights of every colour in every room! Hydro loves us for two months of the year!

The reason for the flood of light so early? DH is convinced it helps with "seasonal" depression! I just think it looks great.

I decorate in Early American Yard Sale.....only kidding but all of my decorations are handed down to me and are all from my childhood which makes them antique. The ornaments for the tree are my mother's, grandmothers' and a few from my great grandmother. I just love having them and reliving every time I pull them out. I also inherited my mother's collection of Buyer's Carolers.

The first time my Dad came to visit me here in Florida, he brought ALL the christmas decorations that my Mom had used since I was little! At first I was suprised & asked why he didnt want to use them....of course I knew by the tears in his eyes how dumb I was to ask....since she had passed he didnt want to decorate anymore:(it was just too painful for him.
So I decorate my house and tree with many ornaments & decorations that my Mom collected over the years. Some of them are older than me, some of them she made, & some of them her & I made together.
Now that my Dad is also gone, christmas & decorating are even more difficult because everything I decorate with brings back so many memories.
I think right now I do it solely for my boys....ugh Im crying like a big, silly baby! Time to go.........

The first time my Dad came to visit me here in Florida, he brought ALL the christmas decorations that my Mom had used since I was little! At first I was suprised & asked why he didnt want to use them....of course I knew by the tears in his eyes how dumb I was to ask....since she had passed he didnt want to decorate anymore:(it was just too painful for him.
So I decorate my house and tree with many ornaments & decorations that my Mom collected over the years. Some of them are older than me, some of them she made, & some of them her & I made together.
Now that my Dad is also gone, christmas & decorating are even more difficult because everything I decorate with brings back so many memories.
I think right now I do it solely for my boys....ugh Im crying like a big, silly baby! Time to go.........

What an awesome gift your dad gave you!
9.gif

Cherish them and love them. Don't let the fact that they are gone, bring you down, sweethear. Look at them and smile at all the times you woke to see them with Santas gifts under them. The memories of your mom so lovingly decorating with them. It's hard, I know, that is why this year, I have decided to love it instead of letting it get me down. It's a magical time of year. Let the magic take over and let those memories flow and tell them you love them, out loud and know that they are both looking down and loving that you are carrying on for them.

Kat,
you have the perfect opportunity now to capture some memories for your boys. Share your good times with them. Sit them down with some hot chocolate and cookies and tell them several stories of way back when..Do this with them through this special season, take out pictures of grandpa and grandma, let them imagine how it was then for you, that magic little children can invision...This can make the holidays magic for them and for you, it will warm your heart with yesterday's
kades

Well Kathe you're not crying alone!!!

Alot of our stuff was DH's grandmas'. His Mom also gets us a new something or other every year.....
The kids each get to pick out an ornament at the store every year, sometimes we make some.
I learned to crochet thread snowflakes last year.... I gave them all away but I've got myself a little blizzard tucked away, hopefully I'll have a couple for me this time.
:)
Pretty much anything goes, so long as its CUTE!

A whole lotta lights on the house, illuminated candy-canes along the walkway, and my favorite, a life sized inflatable Santa riding a chopper on my roof!! (Hey everybody does the sleigh & reindeer thing....)

OOPS! I totally forgot to mention my theme is "early handmedown" with a touch of "make sure the dog/cat won't die if he eats it". LOL, we have no theme. I am decoratively impaired and we just toss things willy nilly til it looks like the Christmas elves threw up on our living room.
You took the words right out of my mouth Alix!

I love bright, colorful, and cheerful decorations. I have a thing for penguins and polar bears, as well as all the other things that come with Christmas. I have a combination of cute and silly decorations as well as the serious ones (still looking for the perfect Nativity set though), and I don't combine the two. One of my favorite decorations is a clay type tree (12 to 15 inches high) with various animals playing in it. (I just found it and took a few pictures of it--sorry for the shadows!).

We haven't been able to put up a full-sized Christmas tree since moving here. I can't wait to have a full-sized real tree again someday. We don't have enough ornaments for a full-sized tree right now anyway, but when I see one that has special meaning to one of us, I buy it. For instance, James loves Star Trek, so a few years ago I found some miniature Star Trek ornaments on ebay and bought them. I usually buy an ornament or two at church each year as well (the kids make them to raise money for missions).

:)Barbara

Attachments

• Christmas Tree Decoration-03.jpg
    Christmas Tree Decoration-03.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 163
  • Christmas Tree Decoration-06.jpg
    Christmas Tree Decoration-06.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Christmas Tree Decoration-07.jpg
    Christmas Tree Decoration-07.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Christmas Tree Decoration-12.jpg
    Christmas Tree Decoration-12.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 167
A whole lotta lights on the house, illuminated candy-canes along the walkway, and my favorite, a life sized inflatable Santa riding a chopper on my roof!! (Hey everybody does the sleigh & reindeer thing....)

Smoke King, for some reason, even though I have never met you, I could have pictured that Santa on your roof without you mentioning it! Why don't you invite those church ladies over for tea and cookies after you put if up this year! :LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Barbara, that is beautiful and I like the idea of the kids making ornaments for missions. That's something I should suggest at our church!

LOL, does your house look like Chevy Chase's in Christmas vacation??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Gosh I love a corny movie!!!

My style is colorful and eclectic. I like red, blue, green and yellow strings of lights with red and gold garland and lots of ornaments collected over the years for the tree, and greenery like tree trimmings and ivy and rosemary branches from the garden strewn around on surfaces. We buy one new ornament every year and they're all different.

My Christmas decorating has changed dramatically over the years. I love a beautiful live tree with simple white lights and lots of special ornaments. I made a beautiful tree skirt that I've been using for many years and each child has a stocking that I made years ago, too. I love swags and garlands of real evergreenery (?) and big red bows and real pine cones. You get the idea - very traditional.

Well, I proceeded to have 5 sons - all of whom inherited their father's "good taste". Hence, I now have a hideous, fiber-optic tree that turns purple, green, orange and red. I have inflatable Santas and snowmen. I have a big stuffed reindeer that sings "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" every time you walk by it. I have a wreath decorated with chili peppers and little chihuahuas dressed in Santa suits. I could go on and on but it's too depressing.

Anyway, I decided that since the men in my life get such a kick out of having the tackiest decorations on the planet and they seem to find them absolutely splendid, I just look the other way. I figure one day they will all be gone and I can have everything decorated just the way I like it - and I'll probably be crying my eyes out that the house is so empty!

LOL I love all those silly talking things!!!!
My MIL had a butt-shakin' dancin' santa at one point.... of course her husband probably bought it...

LOL I love all those silly talking things!!!!
My MIL had a butt-shakin' dancin' santa at one point.... of course her husband probably bought it...
:LOL::LOL: I have a Santa that laughs really hard and his belly shakes and then he farts. Really. I swear. Maybe my hubby got it at the same place your FIL got his Santa?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom