What is your Christmas theme?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
for real? how big is the tank? geez, ever since i got to pet and feed one at seaworld, i've benn bugging my parents for a dolphin.

they're in their 80's now and are really getting tired of hearing about it...:-p

my house's christmas theme is usually "gimme, gimme, gimme"...
ya know, a good christian holiday.

funny, very funny.
ive been agnostic for bouts 15 years, i leave the jouex noel for the nieces and nephews, spoiling them all the way ho, ho, ho. oddly i still love to organize the caroling trips to retirement home and hospitals. lol my mother says ive got more "Christian" values then some holy rollers!
i tend to disagree :devilish:

I had two rooms with different "themes" when I live in Florida, but have always only had one tree, and it's theme is freindship. I throw a tree-trimming party every year, and charge "admission" of something for the local food bank (in the 20 years I've done this, it has varied). In return, my friends bring me ornaments sometimes. I wouldn't dream of rejecting a single one of them. So my tree is very eclectic, as is my decorating ... Oh, well, one more time when nothing looks coordinated, just (I hope) welcoming.

mudbug said:
If it has lights, makes noise, or moves we put it on the front of the house and out in the yard.

You sound like my mil:LOL:
She loves gadgets and christmas is no exception.

Ok, I have to tell this story. When I was 8 1/2 years old we moved from San Diego to Kansas City, Missouri. We lived there for 6 months, with our stuff in storage. When we moved to Independence, Bekins refused to give us our stuff because we couldn't afford the storage fees (which were more than they had said they would be). For awhile we sat on orange crates, and we had very little. That Christmas, I was 9, we had very little, including decorations. My mom and dad bought a few cheap ornaments and lights to put on the tree, plus we had whatever ornaments my sister and I made in school. We didn't have anything for the top of the tree, so my dad cut a star out of black construction paper. He put a hole in the center, for a light to go through, and covered it with gold foil wrapping paper (not the shiny kind, but the flat kind). That was 39 years ago this coming Christmas, and that is all we have ever used on the top of our tree since then. If someone tried to give my dad an angel with a dress made of real spun gold and diamonds to replace it, he would not take it. That star will be on the top of his Christmas trees until he dies, and then I hope it is on the top of mine.

:) Barbara

P.S. We did eventually get our stuff from storage!

texasgirl said:
WOW, now THAT is a garfield freak!!!:ohmy:

jan99.jpg

A picture of Gary Skinner and some of his 8000 plus garfield the cat items.

I always buy a live tree. My decorations are things that my daughter made when she was younger, bulbs from my parents christmas tree (glass) and various other ornaments I've collected. I never use tinsel (not good for pets), but I use strands of red beads as garland. I have a various set of lights, some white, some are colored, and my angel is white with a light in her hand. I decorate my front porch with lights and garland.

Barbara, what a wonderful memory. As a military brat, believe me, I can remember weird times like that. One time the Air Force sent all our belongings to Washington state, and sent us to Reno, Nevada and decided my father (a draftsman) would make a good survival training instructor .... so he was never home. Mom still pulled togehter the holidays, but it was a stretch!

Claire,

It looks like your dad was the survival training instructor, but your mom was a survival expert as well! I feel sorry for people who lead perfectly flawless lives (not that there really is such a thing) because they don't have the great memories! Of course, sometimes they are only great several years later!

:) Barbara

hellschef said:
...my mother says ive got more "Christian" values then some holy rollers! i tend to disagree :devilish:

Some Christian values are universal values. You can be a good person and an agnostic (or athiest, or whatever) at the same time.

you are correct sir! just the smiles do it for me. same reason i cook for a liven,( well that and the obvious wealth and fame!, the women, mustnt forget the groupies!) lol.:pig:

Mom was definitely the glue that held the world together when I was a kid. But my parents were a team. When Dad taught survival training, he was gone every week from Saturday night through Thursday afternoon. He'd come home on a truck, and Mom would literally hose him off in the garage. Then he'd come to Mass after Thursday afternoon CCD classes, and fall asleep in the back of the chapel (he wasn't alone! There were several other men who couldn't get to Sunday mass so would make up for it by going to mass on Thursdays to pick up their kids from CCD, and there'd be a few of them asleep). Then he'd take us home for the cheapest meal there was in those days ... New England Boiled Dinner. He'd take Mom out dancing the next night, and get up and head back out to the desert the next day. Now, I ask you, why was my draftsman sergeant father teaching young officers how to survive in the jungle ... in the middle of the Nevada desert? Life is funny.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom