What is your favorite dollar store item?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calya

Senior Cook
I rarely think of even going to the dollar store and I don't know why. There are so many great items there for only a dollar! I found some really cute party favors for my daughter's birthday party for much less than at any other store the other day.

What have you found at the dollar store that was great?

I really don't like eating off paper or plastic and drinking hot beverages or wine/beer from plastic or foam is a turn off for me. So I fill a travel/picnic hamper with inexpensive glass and china and flatware for such events. I pack it between terry napkins, and bring it all home minus the garbage if disposable. With a dishwasher at home and recycling, it not only serves my preferences but also is my "green" contribution. Yet this service ware is not expensive so if there is breakage, no big deal. The dollar store is great for such items, as well as the hamper to carry it all in.

We buy a spray cleaner called "Awesome", and it is ! Even many at the campground use it on their campers and 5th wheels, son keeps one in his car, laundry room, kitchen etc.

We buy a spray cleaner called "Awesome", and it is ! Even many at the campground use it on their campers and 5th wheels, son keeps one in his car, laundry room, kitchen etc.

The woman who runs our office print room swears by that stuff.

I like the dollar stores although they sell alot of junky stuff.

I buy all sorts of tolietries and cleaning products because those are way overpriced at the large pharmacy or supermarkets.

they had 10 for $1 seed packets this year

The "hard good" that I buy there often is drinking glasses... they tend to have large chunky all purpose glasses I have some nice glassware but I like to have the cheap stuff around. We break them with regularity... actually it is time to replenish soon as I am down to very few

the ballons suck. they start losing "altitude" within a day.

but the caps for cap guns are good! 120 rounds for a dollar.

Christmas before last we didn't have any money to buy Christmas presents for each other, but we wanted to do something. So we went to the Dollar Tree and bought a couple of their "Mom" and "Dad" grab-bags, so we had something to open on Christmas morning!

:)Barbara

I really like the little mise en place bowls at some of the dollar stores near here. They're heavy, oven safe, and similar to the ones I've seen AB use, actually. There's a 4 pack of (roughly) 1/3 cup bowls, a 3 pack of 1/2 cup bowls, a 2 pack of 3/4 cup bowls, and single packs of 2 cup bowls. All packages are only a dollar and I use them all the time!

A while ago, I bought six 5x5" tabletop mirrors, six pressed glass votive candle holders, and six votive candles, to use as table decorations for a dinner party. I put the candles in the holders on the mirrors, three on either side of a cut-glass bowl I already had, filled with flowers.

I've gotten my everyday wine and martini glasses there, too.

I always stock up on dishes that I can use for pot lucks. Fill em up and leave them at the party.

Also, go if I have a childs birthday to go too... lots of little things are more fun than one big thing.

Always buy greeting cards, especially birthday cards. Sometimes ours have unusual food items, such as sun-dried tomatoes in oil for a buck a big jar.

My favorite pair of sunglasses came from the dollar store.

Buy the 3-pack/$1 of vacuum cleaner bags for our old Electrolux canister vac. Anywhere else the same package is $4.

Few years ago I got some nice big clear glass cannisters with lids , I store cereal and pasta in them.

Last edited:
Bagels, bagels, bagels & flour tortillas. Only because they're practically a staple here (I buy a few bags of bagels); and the market charges about $3 + for one bag. I freeze one bag of tortillas. Chandelier bulbs & lighters (4-5 to a package). Same reason - the market charges 3X as much for the same items.

found many things there.

gift wrap , picture frames, candles, cards. the throw away pans, occasionally will find good bargain to food items. ie cake mixs for a 1.00 , just check the expire date. have bought plates to hang on the wall.

the best bargain i have ever found though was a wreath for the front door. it is wooden with pretty bright colored tulips says welcome, i paid 28 cents for it. before that best was a hallmark dec. cheese form paid 50 cents.

i love to get buys like that

babe:cool::cool:

:) Where I live we don't have the best dollar store it's pretty small. It's good for cheap xmas decorations, reading glasses, gift bags, greeting cards, candle holders and little novelty junky gifts. If you are just starting out in your first apartment it's a great place to stock your kitchen with functional cooking pans, plates, glasses, measuring cups and so on. I actually got a nice 4 cup Anchor Hocking glass measuring cup just like the Pyrex but much cheaper and just as well made. I do think you need to be a bit discerning when you shop these places as they also may be carrying not so safe products with to much lead etc. Our Dollar Store doe's not carry food items. I did love the ones in Darian, IL just outside of Chicago lots of fun totally unnecessary stuff and some practical stuff but a lot of fun anyway.

Back
Top Bottom