"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Grand-daughter of Restaurateur & Chef of Trattoria

Buonasera, Good Evening,

Exemplary post ... And quite interesting ...

I am the grand daughter of a former Restaurateur and Chef, and thus, the world of restaurants, cafés and wine bar bistros has always been a natural part of my life ...

Friday has always been Lunch Out with colleagues, a dear friend, or the Vet when he can ...

As we eat lunch from 14.00 hrs. to 15.30 hrs. on the Iberian Peninsula, Friday: offices provide their workers with the afternoon off ... We work later than in the USA and Canada ...

We normally go for exotic ethnic, for example: Indian monthly, Mexican Monthly and Greek Monthly ... Our faves are Caffé Poetti, a Sardinian and Italian Regional where we are regulars and occasionally we go to the sister restaurant called Scatto Matto, which translates to Check Mate ...

Sometimes, we go for French, Sashimi at a tried and true Japanese Kabuki or fresh Octopus at a fave Galician venue.

Have a wonderful Thursday.

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Today we really don't have a payday meal. We use a credit card for everything and pay it off at the end of the month, and have direct deposit, so sometimes I actually forget which week it is that I get paid, LOL. When we "splurge" it is at random times. This thread reminded me to go look at my direct deposit.

Growing up, my mom was quite frugal, she needed to be with just my dad working and 5 kids. But payday was also shopping day, so there would always be some extra treats squeezed out of the budget, like a couple of bottles of soda, chips, and maybe a special dessert. She would also get one box of sweet cereal and that would usually be shared on Friday morning (the day after shopping day).

credit cards, yeah. these days that's how i pay for most things too...then at month's end, i settle up my visa account. but where is the fun in that, i ask you? with payday splurges there was always a sense of anticipation, of mischief, of freewheeling fun....

vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't recall a payday meal growing up, my dad owned his own business, my mom was a stay-at-home.

I do recall being totally broke in grad school, we'd make the rounds of bars serving free food during Happy Hour. For the price of one drink, often just a glass of soda, we feasted like kings!
We did the same thing!
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Executive Chef
For the last 35 years of work, I was paid either monthly or bi-weekly. Now being retired, the eagle poops monthly and we are content to limit extravagant meals to less than 1 - 3 per month. I still fondly reminisce about enjoying the 3 and 4 pound lobsters I consumed back when I was chasing that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Sous Chef
I dont really have a payday meal these days, but when I am not penny pinching, I generally buy around 4 times as much of everything I buy when I am penny pinching, and also probably around 4 times as much variety as I do when I am penny pinching.

When I was living in Dublin, Ireland Indian take aways were my payday meal. They were more pricey than other take aways, and they were always excellent.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
...back when I was chasing that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

There was a rainbow??!!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There was a rainbow??!!
Lotsa rainbows for me until about age 48 (20+ years ago).
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #18
Master Chef
Growing up and as a working adult, it was paycheck to paycheck, and payday was no different from any other day as far as I can remember. I learned early that that money needed to last two weeks, you can't splurge just because you have it today, because in 13 days you still need to eat. I guess you could call the "splurge" that payday brought was putting money in the savings account.

Splurges were for special occasions, not every 2 weeks. Birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

I guess a part of this is that we rarely got paychecks, for the most part we did direct deposit. So there was no cash in the pocket to feel we could spend because it was there.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
When son #3 was small, once a month we would walk to the store and pick up a six pack of root beer and the largest bag of Doritos. He thought that was heaven. And every so often I would treat him to a walk to Baskins and Robbins for an ice cream cone. Now my payday meal is a Porterhouse steak. Son #1 picks it up for me at the Hilltop House on Route #1. That is a restaurant and butcher shop known for it beef. This month's is sitting in the freezer waiting for me.

A couple of times each summer they have a BBQ down on the patio. The food is all payed for. I don't care for their meat menu. They marinate the sirloin strips in Italian dressing. The two guys that do the cooking have no imagination and overcook everything to a hard piece of leather. I will bring my own steak and do it myself. I know it will create some gossip and hurt feelings, but I don't care. The grill is there for any of us to use. I also will briing my own potato salad. They buy a vinegar based one from a deli. Horrible stuff.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Payday meals growing up, Dad would take us to the pizza parlor and while the adults drank dark beer, we girls ran around like whirling dervishes, eating pizza and drinking root beer.

Now we just do what we want, when we want. We either have the cash or we don't. Our big splurge I guess is in the bakery...a dozen donuts lasts us a few days.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote