What is your Kitchen Collectible Nik Nak & Colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Claire: I suggest magazines for the ideas, colors

@ Claire,

Thanks for your feedback ...

Firstly, I would definitely select something other than wall paper ... very outdated and very uncommon in Mediterranean ... UNLESS, see Katie´s post ... Her´s sounds elegant ... and the colors are just so soothing: lavendar, sand and sage ... grapevine mottled ...

I would definitely get some advice from people in industry, Estimates. I know they are gratis in Madrid and Italy ...

I would define clearly: your options, the most reasonable and least time consuming and then, the colors and theme ...

Perhaps, since The Vet takes care of all these details ... we just select the color schemes and theme, together ... I go through hundreds of decorating magazines, and get the ideas ... then, we see what is reality check on these ideas ... and the options, to create a similar look.

Look online at Kitchen Dilemmas and House & Garden or House Beautiful and Coastal Magazine or Sunset Magazine or Southern Living ... all our lovely ...

Thanks for posting.
Happy Holidays.
Margi.

I try to keep the counters as clear as possible. I do have a collection of fruit & vegetable platters, bowls, etc., all of which I do use, so they are stowed above the cabinets. Half of my upper cabinets are open shelves, so my plain white every day dishes/bowls, clear glasses to offset the colorful vegetable serving pieces.

Right now my problem is the walls. I've been longing to "fix" them, and we've finally saved the money to do so. But what do I want? My counters are a Corian with a sage green faux granite look (I did not want the real thing because the room can be very cold in the winter, plus I'm a butterfingers and everything that hits stone breaks; I'm pleased with the Corian). But now I can replace ugly plaid wallpaper. What to do? I'm looking at some glass tiles for the back splashes, but am really totally stymied for the rest of the room. I'm afraid, with past history to go on, that if we tear off the wallpaper disaster would ensue. Paint over wallpaper? wallpaper over wallpaper? One friend suggested maybe dry-walling over it, then whatever with that surface.

Time for professional help (maybe a shrink?!)

You guys already know that I collect and use vintage kitchen accessories like these.

img_1125684_0_9b4d7b96e6093385fd81c43541f657ec.jpg

img_1125684_1_259fe39fbcf37b44b7a49c7532bd58fb.jpg

And my cookware and accessories are yellow and red mostly like these.

img_1125684_2_26b6ae31d42c2801811af725f59b350f.jpg

img_1125684_3_5e108f9665661ccc23f730e20c45f092.jpg

img_1125684_4_4ccddda7cfac6e08dc0338aa26b82b06.jpg

I have a small condo kitchen. I'm pretty much a minamalist & hate clutter. Cabinets are wood, white backsplash & white tiled flooring. The countertops only include - a wood sculpture of a French chef w/ moustache holding a basket of baguettes, white ceramic pitcher that holds my silicone utensils, wine uncorker etc., clear bowl of fresh fruit (usually lemons and/or limes), & potrack. I have a small mural of a French cafe over the sink. It is sort of an open concept where one can see the dining room from the kitchen. In the dining room I have a glass table, black leather chairs & clear prism-like candlestick holders & simple contemporary chandaliere. Under the clear glass dining room table is a suede/leather beige shag-like rug. The walls are white or off white, but it blends w/ the rest of the home. The partial view of the pool (if you lean over), blue sky & trees are my nicknacks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies ladies ... lovely taste ...

Happy Holidays ... We are about to step out for a walk and have a round of Prosecco and antipasti out ...

Margi with Happy Holidays.

@ Claire,

Small spaces and minimalism ... The pale crude tones, enlargen a space, for example: sand dune, ivory, linen tones ... Then choose a wall paper that has a tiny non overpowering motif that you like --- in soft colors: pale icy mint or sage, icy pastel salmon and perhaps an aquamarine or lavendar ...

I would avoid all bright and / or deep tones of color --- makes a small space look even smaller --- keep it neutral and soft with the crude antique white and / or sand dune tones ... add an accent color, the icy pastel sage, aquamarine, icy salmon or lavendar ...

Themes: with aqua: shells or gulls, with lavendar: lavendar herbs, with the salmon, perhaps, a soft sunset or sunrise mottled ... with the sage tone, grapevines or a tiny soft rose or fave flower ... keep the prints very tiny and the background sand or linen toned, and not a cluttered print.

Hope this has assisted.

Get an estimate ( usually free in Spain or Italy ) to change the wall paper first ... and this will require prepping walls --- and removing old wall paper.

Kindest. Happy Easter,
Margi.

I described the floor and wallpaper in our kitchen but not sure I managed as nicely as I'd hoped. With that in mind here are some pictures of each. The first one is the flooring and the remaining two are the wallpaper, with one being a closeup of the pattern.

Attachments

• Kitchen floor.jpg
    Kitchen floor.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Kitchen wallpaper.jpg
    Kitchen wallpaper.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Kitchen wallpaper - close-up.jpg
    Kitchen wallpaper - close-up.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 186

Latest posts

Back