What is your Kitchen Collectible Nik Nak & Colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Afternoon,

Firstly, my condo kitchen in Gargano Peninsula, Puglia, Italia, is ocean blue and white ... very country seashore ... Since, I have collected ceramic Chefs for years, there are a few in addition to blue and white ceramic ware typical of this zone, shells and themes of the sea for example my stone gulls, wood and wrought iron and cobalt glass ...

In Madrid, I had not chosen the colors, however the scheme is sand dune beige with cherry red ... the bar and counter spaces are cherry red stone and the tiles are a Greek rustic sand dune color. The nik naks are ceramic Chefs and chef pictures lining one wall, and Bar scheme antique plaques and wooden floors throughout, and very modern as it is a Loft.

Look forward to your posts.
Have nice wkend.
Margi.

My kitchen is in Cobalt Blue, Red and Yellow. I have Pig Chefs and pictures of Dragons and Teapots.

@ Princess Fiona,

Piglet Chefs ... wow ! and a touch of Asia ... Nice.

My chefs are Big Fat Italians !!! with big mustaches and big tummies ... also have sommeliers and waiters ...

Thanks for feedback ... Always curious, how we all spend so many hours online, practically speaking to each other via written word ...

Enjoy the feedback the most !

Got to learn how to utilise your foto business on the threads ---
Have nice wkend.
Margi.

Last edited:
I don't really have any nik naks or collectables of any sort. My colors are neutral, floors are wood.

My color scheme is tomato red, mossy green and golden yellow. These colors were inspired by a beautiful platter and serving bowl that I got at World Market, made in Spain.

I really need to inject a bit more of my own personality into my kitchen. When I lived in an apartment I took pictures of my stainless utensils, like my box grater, whisk, measuring spoons, and measuring cups. I had them printed in black and white and framed with black frames and hung them in backsplash area under the cabinets. It looked really cool, I got tons of compliments on them. I need to redo that idea and give a blank wall some personality.

Guess I'd have to say our kitchen is sort of grape vineyard style. The walls, what little there are, are papered in a watercolor-like paper that has a pale beige/cream mottled background with equally pale grapevines and clusters of grapes in almost wine/lavender and green. The cabinets are light oak and countertops are almond. The floor looks like an old stone walkway.

As for knick-knacks, there's not much space for (m)any. On a top shelf where our liquor bar is, I have a set of cobalt Fiestaware, which is a beautiful pitcher and 4 glasses. Otherwise, not much else.

I've made a valance (over our deep kitchen window above the sink) that is made of a fabric that nicely mimics the wallpaper. The backsplash behind the stove is made of 4-inch squares of brushed steel, set on point.

Our kitchen is primarily devoted to function and there's not much space left for decor, but I love it. Especially since my husband built it with his two strong hands. The whole house as well.

Last edited:
Dragons and Teapots and a Chef Pig

Attachments

• kitchen 006.JPG
    kitchen 006.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 206
  • kitchen 012.JPG
    kitchen 012.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 193
just recently i started to change the color palette. the kitchen is painted white. blue was the accent. now the blue is out and a brownish yellow is in. made new curtains. put out all my pieces with the same color that has mexican colors mixed in. i love it and with a bit of work it changed everything.

House Beautiful Kitchens ...

@ Katie: sounds stunning ... I love the grape theme too ... however, when we rented the Loft in Madrid, we had to deal with the color scheme ... as it is too complicated to renovate a rental ...

@ Princess Fiona: thanx so much for posting ur fotos ... I like the Piglet with the chef hat ! He or she is a cutie !

@ Baetoo: Mexican theme is particularly lovely, especially where u reside ... Is it more of an Ocre or curry color ?

@ Bake Chef : we spend alot of time in our kitchens, thus --- it is quintessential to be surrounded by things we enjoy ! and harmony ... so the dishes cook up in harmony too ...

Great posts.
Thanx, have nice wkend.
Margi.

Don't really have a color scheme and only have a crystal decanter and 3 matching snifters in memory of my oldest brother. These pieces are survivors of hurricane Charlie in which his home was completely destroyed. The 4th snifter didn't survive. The decanter and snifters are etched with a tall ship.

Not really in the kitchen, but in the great room that includes the kitchen area , we have a curio that has Karens dragons and unicorns, as well as some pieces of old scrimshaw that belonged to him as well. We also have several pieces of Murano glass from various trips to Italy.

Last edited:
Craig,

Thanks for your feedback. Sounds lovely. I like Murano glass too ... Have some stunner stemware ( wine glasses and flutes for Prosecco ) from there.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

I love my kitchen, particularly the floor covering. It's just beautiful and I love that it was something my husband chose when he built our house.

There is really no space for things hanging on the wall because our kitchen is what would be considered an "open" area, so there is relatively no wall space and what there is is taken up with cabinets.

As for decoration, what I do do is put a few things on the deep (18") windowsill over the sink around various holiday/festival times.

At the moment, I have a "twig-like" white wire tree that I've decorated with tiny little Easter ornaments. It is sitting on a cloud of green Easter grass that has some plastic painted eggs nestled in it.

Last month I decorated it for Mardi Gras, then St. Patrick's Day. Before that it was all decked out in Valentine's Day finery.

I have fun doing it and the grandchildren always look forward to what's on the windowsill.

There IS a narrow space near the ceiling close to the kitchen table that I've hung a small framed painting that says "Bon Appetit!" on it. This is in homage to Julia Child who I consider to be a treasure to the culinary world.

@ Katie,

Sounds like a wonderful idea ...

Your kitch belongs in House Beautiful I am sure ...

I too, have high esteem for Julia Child and have all her books here for research techniques ... Good culinary mentor to have ...

It would be fabulous to have photo of ur kitch !!!

Thanks for post.
Have nice Sunday.
Margi

I have a rooster/chicken theme going. It didn't start that way! When my grandmother died, I wanted the ceramic rooster and chicken she had on the shelves by her sink. It kind of hatched from that. The cabinets are a dark wood with white knobs, white vinyl floor (that will hopefully get replaced this summer with something else) and a tan wallpaper with a Colonial style pineapple motif in blues and greens. The only thing I chose in the kitchen is the roosters! The rest was here when we bought the house but I liked it so didn't change it.

Jabbur,

Well, the same actually happened to me with ANGELO, my huge Italian chubby Chef with the big mustache ... He was Grandmom Margherite´s and he has travelled all over the world with me ... So ...

Roosters and hens are French in symbolism ... and the egg symbolic of fine cuisine !

Thanks for sharing.
Have a happy holiday.
Margi.

Like Jabbur, I have a collection of roosters and hens in my kitchen.

This huge Italian hunk o burnin' love started it all some 20 years ago and was a gift from my late husband. I must admit I lusted over this boy so much that my husband finally gave in and bought him for me.

img_1125453_0_d3de724b1afa54b6abe5a93135385d4e.jpg

From there, my obsession grew....
img_1125453_1_e965258c084ea6781e08752fc32cdc9b.jpg

The magnets on the fridge are a collection of our travels.

img_1125453_2_e74d80ab1d12dfc0b43dae84a370630f.jpg

I even made a rooster valance for the sink window out of a beautiful tapestry table runner.

img_1125453_3_c3777af24aed725540586ff0fefe0aef.jpg

We've never lived in a place that was really our own and the kitchens have always been really awkward and kind of small. Getting some functionality from them has always been the primary concern. Plus this will be the first time (once I officially start my job) that we'll have enough income to think about decorating so we don't yet have a theme or colors or such.

The hubby and I just moved into our current appartment and can't really customize the walls, cabinets, flooring, etc. All the walls in the appartment are white semi-gloss, including the kitchen. The cupboards are also white as are the pantry doors. The flooring is linolium or vinyl designed to look like mottled, stone tile in shades of beige. The kitchen is small with very little wall space. There is a section of wall above the cupboards, kind of like a border that goes around the kitchen, and a section by the pantry where I might be able to hang something. There are also half wall dividers on either side of the entry coming from the dining room. I'll have to take a picture of it when the sunlight is around.

We're only planning on being here for a year while we save up for a down payment on a house so I need to keep decorations simple and easy enough to move into a new place. They also need to be general enough to work in a different house. I don't have room for figurines but I don't really care for them in the kitchen so I'm ok with that. I have some photographs I took of place settings, glasses, and various other kitchen items that I'm thinking about getting printed to hang. I also have some pretty pictures of herbs, vegetables and food being prepped that could be printed. I think I'll vary the size of the prints but crop all of them square so I can create a border around the kitchen without it looking cluttered. I'm not sure how easy it is to find square frames but it's easy enough to cut matboard and just mat them if I need to. I can cover the photos with thin plastic sheeting to protect them. I should be able to find it easily enough at a craft store or online.

Family is really important to me and cooking is kind of a family tradition so I'd like to include loved ones in the decor. I want to see if I can find a picture of me as a kid that includes something food related and another of my hubby in the same theme. If I can, I'll scan them into the computer and put them together using a photo editor. Then I'll print it, frame it and hang it on the wall by the pantry. I also want to find pictures of friends and family at various gatherings and make a collage of them to hang on the fridge.

We get a fair amount of indirect sunlight in the kitchen so it would be great to get some potted herbs to put on the dividers between it and the dining room. I might also try growning something like a pepper plant indoors or maybe something with edible flowers. I'll have to look to see what kinds of edible plants I can find that like indirect lighting.

Most of our dishes, appliances, etc. are hand-me-downs or gifts so we've got a hodge podge of this and that. The hubby and I need to go through everything and figure out what we're keeping and what we're not keeping. Once we do that we'll decide more on what to do for these items but even then they won't be on display, at least in this kitchen, because there just isn't room.

Last edited:
@ Purple Giraffe,

What a lovely post ... ( You and Addie should write books ... truly best sellers ! )

I like the idea of family photos on the little wall space that you have ... Perhaps, since you mentioned a beige / sand palette with white walls, perhaps darker toned wood frames with sepia tone photos or black frames with black and white photos --- can be stunning and give alot of impact to a small space ...

Thanks for feedback and Happy Holidays.
Margi. Cintrano.

Last edited:
I try to keep the counters as clear as possible. I do have a collection of fruit & vegetable platters, bowls, etc., all of which I do use, so they are stowed above the cabinets. Half of my upper cabinets are open shelves, so my plain white every day dishes/bowls, clear glasses to offset the colorful vegetable serving pieces.

Right now my problem is the walls. I've been longing to "fix" them, and we've finally saved the money to do so. But what do I want? My counters are a Corian with a sage green faux granite look (I did not want the real thing because the room can be very cold in the winter, plus I'm a butterfingers and everything that hits stone breaks; I'm pleased with the Corian). But now I can replace ugly plaid wallpaper. What to do? I'm looking at some glass tiles for the back splashes, but am really totally stymied for the rest of the room. I'm afraid, with past history to go on, that if we tear off the wallpaper disaster would ensue. Paint over wallpaper? wallpaper over wallpaper? One friend suggested maybe dry-walling over it, then whatever with that surface.

Time for professional help (maybe a shrink?!)

Back
Top Bottom