"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #121
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Hmmm. Only Experience. Once upon a time women often believed that men married because of .... well, intercourse. Nowadays marriage isn't much of a necessity for most people. I've said, for years, that many men marry to have someone to do all the sh*t that they don't want to do. My husband is much better than most (and, believe me, I took a few for trial runs), but even so, he truly does not know how to run the clothes washer. He doesn't know how to do keep-up house work -- he's great at what we call "the white tornado", that is to say really cleaning before a party or having guests. But to look at something that's a bit of a mess and just pick it up? Not gonna happen.
I believe I have seen my own version of "the white tornado". Does it by chance also include throwing everything into the nearest closet?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #122
Executive Chef

KA flour

Just ordered 18lb of King Arthur flours costing $47.40 or $2.65 per pound including a $10 discount and $12 for shipping. Just another example of things getting pricey. Still comes out better and cheaper than $4 for a 24 ounce loaf of store bought bread. I estimate my home baked bread costs about $1.50 to $1.75 per pound.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #123
Executive Chef

home-baked bread, you just can't price it by the pound imo. it may not be priceless, but it comes close.... :)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #124
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
home-baked bread, you just can't price it by the pound imo. it may not be priceless, but it comes close.... :)
I hear you, but with banks paying well under 1% interest I'm very sensitive to pricing, particularly of consumables and staples.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #125
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
I believe I have seen my own version of "the white tornado". Does it by chance also include throwing everything into the nearest closet?
The downstairs bathroom has what I call party camouflage. Because it is the mud room laundry room all-around mess room, I've used tension rods and white lace curtains that match the windows. Before guests arrive, everything gets thrown into the bath tub and the curtains close over it. Since the house was built in 1854, we don't have a lot of closets, so that is sort of the equivalent!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #126
Executive Chef

you guys are so funny!:) but what else ya gonna do when you got guests coming in less than an hour?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #127
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Just ordered 18lb of King Arthur flours costing $47.40 or $2.65 per pound including a $10 discount and $12 for shipping. Just another example of things getting pricey. Still comes out better and cheaper than $4 for a 24 ounce loaf of store bought bread. I estimate my home baked bread costs about $1.50 to $1.75 per pound.
this may just be the beginning of a whole new thread, but what is so special about this king arthur flour that everyone is talking about? when flour can easily be had for $.50 per pound, why spend five times that much for ka's?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #128
Master Chef

Quote:
you guys are so funny!:) but what else ya gonna do when you got guests coming in less than an hour?
Make sure there's plenty of booze. Seriously, throw everything in the bathtub, close the curtains, and vacuum up the dog hair.

My doggie is still sleeping off Tuesday's party.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
A friend of mine taught me the plastic bin trick. She also covered all of her paintings with plastic garbage bags, which she would yank off right before the MIL visited. She'd go on a white tornado cleaning spree the weekend before, and then viola--right before the MIL arrived, off came the garbage bags (all she'd do is vacuum and clean the bathroom the day of). Living alone 5 days out of 7, I admit, I have done the cover the paintings with plastic garbage bags so I didn't have to dust them again...
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
this may just be the beginning of a whole new thread, but what is so special about this king arthur flour that everyone is talking about? when flour can easily be had for $.50 per pound, why spend five times that much for ka's?
I was just wondering that myself. I have no idea what flour costs at the supermarket, but the organic, stone ground, wheat flour I buy at the health food store costs about $5.99 for a 2 kg (~4.4 lbs) bag.