"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #31
Executive Chef

I like your style, Addie! I also like your sig!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
In all the truth, I never completely understood what the "pet peeves" really means, I mean the term it self. But from reading your responces I take it it means things a person doesn't like, right? Where does the term come from then?
A "peeve" is a source of irritation. In this phrase, I could be wrong, but I think the word "pet" is probably derived from the word "petty," and not a tame dog or cat.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
A"peeve" is a source of irritation. In this phrase, I could be wrong, but I think the word "pet" is probably derived from the word "petty," and not a tame dog or cat.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.
I always assumed the 'pet' part had to do with your favorite or "pet" peeves.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

+1 Andy. Like teacher's pet or favorite.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #35
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I always assumed the 'pet' part had to do with your favorite or "pet" peeves.
Could very well be, though "favorite peeves" seemed a little like an oxymoron, whereas petty (as in "insignificant" or "trivial") irritations didn't. But I'm no expert in etymology.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Could very well be, though "favorite peeves" seemed a little like an oxymoron, whereas petty (as in "insignificant" or "trivial") irritations didn't. But I'm no expert in etymology.
Neither am I. It has just been my assumption.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

A quick search reveals:

"The meaning is a personal annoyance. "Pet" as in subjectively specific to a person, not a widely-held social convention. "Peeve" as in something which upsets someone very mildly. Scratching in public might be a pet peeve, warfare would not. Don't have a clue as to origin."
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #38
Wine Guy

And here:
"The word peeve actually started out as peevish, meaning ornery or ill-tempered. Some references date the first appearance of the word peevish as occurring in the 1300's and some in the 1500's. Either way, it was through back-formation that the verbal form peeve meaning to annoy or irritate came about in the early 1900's. And it was not long after that the word pet was added to form the phrase pet peeve. As for pet, it is actually a shortened version of petty meaning trivial or minor. Hence, a pet peeve is a minor irritation. "
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Take your pick I guess.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We have some very stiff fines in this state if you pull that. I got into an arguement with a big burly truk driver. I was out on my scooter and the truck was across the sidewalk and partially in the driveway. I couldn't go off the curb or I would have destroyed my battery. I asked him nicely to please move the truck so I could get by. He got mouthy with me and told me what I could do to my own anatomy. I quietly told him, he could either move the truck or I would call my daughter at the RMV and report him and then I would call the police. I had my cell phone in hand. He got into the truck and moved it. But he was mumbling while he did it. When he pulled the truck out of the way, his boss came over and wanted to know what the problem was. I explained it to him and heard him yelling as i went on my way.

I always carry a piece of paper and pencil with me. I write down the plate number, time and place when someone is parked in handicap and shows no placard or license plate. There have also been times if I have my small camera with me, I will take a picture long shot and one of the plate and front window. They are not happy when they get the bill in the mail. If it is a local violation, I also let our local police station know. For shopping malls, I let the mall office also have the info. I am on a mission.
How is your state about giving temporary handicap designation? It's impossible here in Quebec. So, when I was walking with a cane because my left ankle was sprained, I had to park where I could find a regular spot and limp all the way to the store. I couldn't afford to have my car towed at the time, so I just put up with it. Sometimes people who don't have an indication of being handicapped on the car have a good reason to use the space. And having the tag hanging from the mirror could be because one has a handicapped relative who doesn't drive. But that person can get away with parking in the handicapped spot.