What is your Pet Peeve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol addie. yes, i'm always all smiles and politeness when i'm being insulting. or i wave and smile like a big dumb idiot when another person is going nuts and flipping you off as they drive badly.

my latest peeve is people who are obviously not handicapped parking in handicapped spots. i always go over and ask the driver why they don't have handicapped plates, or is it a mental handicap...

Oh, you're bad. I love it. I will have to remember that one.

I once saw an Olympic athlete tell this story on TV: When asked why he always seemed to find a parking spot at the front, he replied that it was because he parked in the handicapped spot. His friends were horrified. Then he showed them his two prosthetic legs.

How is your state about giving temporary handicap designation? It's impossible here in Quebec. So, when I was walking with a cane because my left ankle was sprained, I had to park where I could find a regular spot and limp all the way to the store. I couldn't afford to have my car towed at the time, so I just put up with it. Sometimes people who don't have an indication of being handicapped on the car have a good reason to use the space. And having the tag hanging from the mirror could be because one has a handicapped relative who doesn't drive. But that person can get away with parking in the handicapped spot.

For a sprain, sorry. You will have to walk the extra distance. You have to have a letter from your doctor and a form filled out and sent to the registry. We have our pics on ours. If I am not in the car and you get caught parking in handicap using my placard, my placard will be confiscated and I will lose my handicap privilege. And I will have to wait a year before I can apply again. And there is a major fine for the person who the car is registered to. Doesn't matter if they are driving or not. Because my daughter works at the Registry, she got caught, but I didn't lose my handicap privilege. It pays to know someone. I will be handicapped for the rest of my life. But I still have to apply every five years to have it renewed. Maybe the registry thinks there is going to be a miracle. :chef:

For a sprain, sorry. You will have to walk the extra distance. You have to have a letter from your doctor and a form filled out and sent to the registry. We have our pics on ours. If I am not in the car and you get caught parking in handicap using my placard, my placard will be confiscated and I will lose my handicap privilege. And I will have to wait a year before I can apply again. And there is a major fine for the person who the car is registered to. Doesn't matter if they are driving or not. Because my daughter works at the Registry, she got caught, but I didn't lose my handicap privilege. It pays to know someone. I will be handicapped for the rest of my life. But I still have to apply every five years to have it renewed. Maybe the registry thinks there is going to be a miracle. :chef:

I couldn't get one for the broken kneecap either. Here you need to get the doctor's letter and it has to say that the handicap will be ongoing. Never mind about people with broken bones. Oh well, I wouldn't have asked with the broken kneecap anyways. I couldn't drive until it got better.

Do you agree with that?

Yes. For those who the handicap spaces are for, they are for the rest of their life. Broken bones are only a temporary inconvenience. My hip, spine and leg will neer get better. Only worse. And I will have the heart condition until it kills me. And that could be any day. Or it may be longer. People with brken bones know they are going to heal. I know I am never going to heal. I would much rather have a broken bone and have to hobble some extra feet. At least I would know there was hope. :)

Yes. For those who the handicap spaces are for, they are for the rest of their life. Broken bones are only a temporary inconvenience. My hip, spine and leg will neer get better. Only worse. And I will have the heart condition until it kills me. And that could be any day. Or it may be longer. People with brken bones know they are going to heal. I know I am never going to heal. I would much rather have a broken bone and have to hobble some extra feet. At least I would know there was hope. :)

I don't follow your reasoning. That would mean that the girl who wouldn't stand up for me on the bus was right. I had a broken kneecap and a cane, but this was temporary. She should only bother to give her seat to someone who is permanently handicapped?

I don't think a handicap should be permanent to warrant using handicapped parking. Unfortunatey, the process to get approval probably takes too long to make sense. But whatever the local rules are, they must be followed.

I don't follow your reasoning. That would mean that the girl who wouldn't stand up for me on the bus was right. I had a broken kneecap and a cane, but this was temporary. She should only bother to give her seat to someone who is permanently handicapped?

No I was referring to handicap parking. Even if it was just out of politeness, she definitely should have given her seat to you. Even I would have. The bus driver should have made sure you had a seat. And he shouldn't have started his bus until you were seated. Sorry for the confusion. On our public transportation system, the bus driver is not allowed to start his bus until those that need a seat due to a disability, be it temporary or permanent, is properly seated. It is something they are taught at bus driver charm school. :)

I tend to agree with you TL, although issuing temporary handicap placards would cause problems for many reasons. There are so many abuses of the placards as it is. Besides all that, there are no agency's or advocates for people with temporary handicaps.

I tend to agree with you TL, although issuing temporary handicap placards would cause problems for many reasons. There are so many abuses of the placards as it is. Besides all that, there are no agency's or advocates for people with temporary handicaps.

Having been in the position to want them on more than one occasion, I have given it a lot of thought.

I think the permits should have an expiry date that is printed in 5 cm (2 inch) large letters. The doctor could issue it with a renewal date. It could be like a prescription: go to the pharmacy to pick it up. They would print it out for you with a unique number. They would charge you any fees that the government wants for such a placard.

When I had the sprained ankle, the doctor didn't want me to walk on it any more than absolutely necessary. No one else at my house drives.

Here in Boston, we do have services for the temporary injuries. But by the time you are approved, you are all better. You are better off taking extended sick leave from work and hope for the best. We do have a program whereby you can purchase coupons for the local taxi in your part of Boston and you will get half off the fare. I have a friend in the building that does not have a car. He is healthy and qualifies for nothing except the coupons. I qualify for "The Ride." It is an extended service of our transit service for disabled and elderly people. It costs me $2.00 each way and I can go 35 miles outside of Boston. The price never changes. I can take a 'caretaker' with me for free. So I call The Ride and he is my caretaker. He has no way of getting his groceries home. With the coupons, it would still cost him $10 to get his groceries home. So off we go. He pays me $2.00 for half the trip and I pick up some stuff for myself while he does his shopping. The main purpose of the trip is to help him and being a good neighbor. And it saves him $8.00.

Last edited:
Having been in the position to want them on more than one occasion, I have given it a lot of thought.

I think the permits should have an expiry date that is printed in 5 cm (2 inch) large letters. The doctor could issue it with a renewal date. It could be like a prescription: go to the pharmacy to pick it up. They would print it out for you with a unique number. They would charge you any fees that the government wants for such a placard.

When I had the sprained ankle, the doctor didn't want me to walk on it any more than absolutely necessary. No one else at my house drives.

My placard does have an expiration date. And so does my application for "The Ride." I have to renew it every so many years with my doctor's approval. But I do like your idea of a Temporary one to be like a prescription. :)

People or groups of people that try to mess with others rights, because their ideas/beliefs are the right ones.:mad:

Two pet peeves about driving:

The guy/gal who thinks they are more important than the rest of us. You know the one. The traffic is backed up and they drive on the shoulder to get ahead, or they don't care that the sign says no U-turn, it doesn't apply to them, etc., etc.

The person who doesn't take driving seriously. You know, "I can text and drive with no problem." or "Alcohol doesn't impair my driving." Or "Who cares about turn signals?" etc., etc.

A friend of mine was killed on her motorcycle because the woman in the car in front of her wasn't paying attention to her driving. Five cars were involved in that collision as well as two motorcycles.

As I just posted in another thread.....Waitstaff that asks "Is everything ok?"
When they should be asking "Can I bring you anything at this time?"

Last edited:
My pet peeve--and this is a pretty big one--is when they bring the main course before I'm finished eating my salad!

Or even worse, when they bring the salad and the main course at the same time. I hate that!!!

I have no idea why I'm this way but eating salad loses its attraction for me when I'm eating my main course. If the two come together then the salad is wasted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom