What is your Pet Peeve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want my dishes scraped, rinsed and stacked beside the sink. I wash my dishes in a certain order. Glasses and cutlery first. Then the dishes, serving dishes, pots and pans last. And please don't try to help me. It makes me feel as if you think I can't do my own housework. :)

I want my dishes scraped, rinsed and stacked beside the sink. I wash my dishes in a certain order. Glasses and cutlery first. Then the dishes, serving dishes, pots and pans last. And please don't try to help me. It makes me feel as if you think I can't do my own housework. :)

Doesn't everyone do them in that order? :)

Doesn't everyone do them in that order? :)

I also wash down the stove, front of the fridge and counter tops.

One of my biggest pet peeves is sugar granules or salt on the counter. It drives me crazy. I want to be able to run my hand over a CLEAN counter and not feel anything. Just one of my idiosyncrasies.

I think we all have a quirk or two.

No one is allowed to load my dishwasher. I do it a certain way. After a dinner party, I try to load one rack of the DW at a time. Bottom or top first depending on what's up front. Fill one the go to the other. Silverware is usually last. Then I group and separate silverware by type in the baskets. It often takes more than one load to get it all done, but that's what the next morning is for.

One of my biggest pet peeves is sugar granules or salt on the counter. It drives me crazy. I want to be able to run my hand over a CLEAN counter and not feel anything. Just one of my idiosyncrasies.

YES!! Couldn't agree more!! There is nothing worse than putting your hand/arm down on a sticky or crumb-filled spot on the counter. My fiance is horrible when making toast for breakfast. Leaves bread crumbs everywhere, to the point where it looks like the toaster threw up. He knows it bothers me - his solution? He uses his hand to sweep the crumbs UNDER the toaster. :wacko:

YES!! Couldn't agree more!! There is nothing worse than putting your hand/arm down on a sticky or crumb-filled spot on the counter. My fiance is horrible when making toast for breakfast. Leaves bread crumbs everywhere, to the point where it looks like the toaster threw up. He knows it bothers me - his solution? He uses his hand to sweep the crumbs UNDER the toaster. :wacko:

Does the urge to kill some days become stronger than others? I know it sounds snotty of me, but I use a plate to butter my toast. And for that very reason. CRUMBS. :wacko:

Does the urge to kill some days become stronger than others? I know it sounds snotty of me, but I use a plate to butter my toast. And for that very reason. CRUMBS. :wacko:

We have a wooden bread board for when you don't want to use a plate to butter toast. If someone doesn't like all the crumbs on the bread board, it's easy to walk to the compost bin or garbage (depending on time of year) and dump them.

I have a tiny little whisk broom and dust pan for counters and tables.

I use a scrubbie sponge to wipe up messes on the counter top. I place my cup right next to the sugar bowl on a paper towel. And no matter how careful I am, a few granules always escape to the counter top. :wacko:

We have a wooden bread board for when you don't want to use a plate to butter toast. If someone doesn't like all the crumbs on the bread board, it's easy to walk to the compost bin or garbage (depending on time of year) and dump them.

I think my using a plate comes from that training from my mother. The right dish or utensil for the job. Some habits are hard to break. My mother would be proud of me knowing that all her teachings didn't go to waste. I also use a butter knife with the butter. Not your standard table knife. :)

Last edited:
I laughed so hard when I read your post that I almost had a mouthful of coffee to clean up along with those darn crumbs!

The worst part? He DOES use a plate!! It boggles my mind how he manages to get so many crumbs everywhere. I've even asked him if he habitually shakes the toaster upside-down on the counter. I'm not even going to get into the crumbs left behind in the butter/jam/peanut butter.

So yes, the urge is sometimes overwhelming. This is why he gets limited kitchen privileges. He's already lost dishwasher privileges, but I'm considering implementing a "look, but don't touch" rule for all appliances!

I'm so excited Shrek has figured out WHERE the kitchen is and that he can keep himself fed during the day that I don't care what kind of mess he makes. "No woman ever shot a man while he was doing the dishes..." after maybe, but not during.

lol, like women who believe that men can't do laundry, use a dishwasher, feed themselves, or clean up crumbs?

he hee... :angel:

lol, like women who believe that men can't do laundry, use a dishwasher, feed themselves, or clean up crumbs?

:LOL: This woman discovered all of those things to be true. I recently left my man home alone for five days because my parents bought me a plane ticket home to surprise my sister for her birthday - when I got back, the house was a mess and he had been living on packaged noodles and chips. Sad sight....

Hmmm. Only Experience. Once upon a time women often believed that men married because of .... well, intercourse. Nowadays marriage isn't much of a necessity for most people. I've said, for years, that many men marry to have someone to do all the sh*t that they don't want to do. My husband is much better than most (and, believe me, I took a few for trial runs), but even so, he truly does not know how to run the clothes washer. He doesn't know how to do keep-up house work -- he's great at what we call "the white tornado", that is to say really cleaning before a party or having guests. But to look at something that's a bit of a mess and just pick it up? Not gonna happen.

Back
Top Bottom