"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #1021
Head Chef

Cool, damp and in the lower 30's here. Still a little snow on the ground from last night. At least I didn't have to shovel any snow today

Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #1022
Executive Chef

HB, wish I could give you the sunshine! It was 20 degrees C today. No sign of rain yet.

Snoop Puss, seems that there is no need for Cara to give you water for the summer!! Pity our posts were wiped out yesterday due to server problem!!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #1023
Chef Extraordinaire

mish, didn't it make you just a little homesick for slush at the curbs?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #1024
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The snow predicted for the weekend never materialized. Just lots of rain instead.

Today it's about 40 degrees F, 48% humidity, very calm, and grey, grey. Just about as gloomy as it gets. It really is Monday! Weather's supposed to get better over the next couple of days. Okay, I'm ready.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #1025
Head Chef

I have a question about humidity....what is 100% humidity...water? We have all these weird things to test humidity here, Milan is very humid, our house has had a humidity reading of 74-77% since I arrived (and we run a de-humidifyer about 14 hours a day!), but I can't help but feel if that is the case we should be a fair way to a swimming pool!

Well, snow was threatened here, rain felt more likely, but in the end both held off. Heavy rain forecast tomorrow until Friday, when we might get snow. We missed the terrible storms of Europe because we were sheltered by the Alps, so it just blew east when it hit the Alps and could not come south.

Todays max temp here was 7 degrees celcius. :)
Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #1026
Executive Chef

I think 100% humidity means the air can not hold one more molecule of water!! It is saturated.

KATIE, I got your snow, got 5 inches yesterday, beautiful stuff, course everything was cancelled for today
Old 01-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #1027
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
I have a question about humidity....what is 100% humidity...water?
Lulu, the following detailed explanation of humidity comes courtesy of DH.

When measuring humidity, scientists use two different ways to express it. One is called absolute humidity and the other relative humidity. For ordinary non-technical usage, relative humidity makes more sense and it is easier to understand and express. Relative humidity is expressed as a percentage. This percentage refers to the amount of water vapour that is present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapour that can be contained in the air at a specified temperature.

Thus, 100% (relative) humidity means that the air already contains the maximum amount of water vapour it can possibly contain at the temperature it has. Air with such a high humidity is incapable of carrying anymore water vapour than it already has. This means that it would be unable to dry anything eg. wet clothes, moisture on the floor etc. It is rather unpleasant and tends to cause discomfort during sleeping and makes you wake up very groggy. In the summer it would make you sweat profusely.

In winter time, when the outside air has a relative humidity of 100% and gets heated indoors, its relative humidity will drop. This is not because the amount of water vapour in the air has changed. It has actually remained the same. However, warmer air can carry more water vapour than cold air and thus the amount of water vapour already in it is short of the maximum amount of water vapour that the air can carry after it is heated to your home's indoor temperature. This lower relative humidity will make the air a bit more palatable for you.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #1028
Head Chef

Beautiful and sunny - somewhere around 70 degrees. It is windy but very clear and you can see the snow on the mountains.

I like this time of year best in Southern California.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #1029
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Cold as ice here. We have a heat wave coming that should get us close to freezing. Otherwise, we have about 8 inches of snow and it has been cold. Like zero and below cold.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #1030
Executive Chef

We've had well below freezing temps for quite a few days, but it should be warming up to the freezing point tomorrow, so maybe I can shovel the snow once it softens up a bit. We only have maybe 5 inches of snow right now which is just above the ankle or so.