"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #10531
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

82F and cloudy, a nice break from the triple digits! Supposed to rain, none yet here along the river.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #10532
Chef Extraordinaire

It is currently raining quite heavy, have to go out in it too

Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #10533
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Bit of a storm just ended here. Quite a bit of booming and bumping and significant lightning. Sadly a lightning strike took out our beautiful redbud tree just outside our bed room. Split it down the middle and knocked it all down. Nothing hit the house but the tree is a goner. I'm going to miss that beautiful tree. Redbuds are at the top of my "favorites" list when it comes to trees.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #10534
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Bit of a storm just ended here. Quite a bit of booming and bumping and significant lightning. Sadly a lightning strike took out our beautiful redbud tree just outside our bed room. Split it down the middle and knocked it all down. Nothing hit the house but the tree is a goner. I'm going to miss that beautiful tree. Redbuds are at the top of my "favorites" list when it comes to trees.
I'm sorry to hear that you lost a lovely tree, but relieved that the lightening and the tree didn't hit your house.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #10535
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Sorry about the tree, Karie, but glad it missed you!!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #10536
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Love redbuds too. Sorry to hear this, Katie, and I too am glad it didn't cause more damage.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #10537
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I have a sun-roof though! If ever the sun does come out I have the sun roof open and the windows down. (Hence a burnt right arm and top of head currently!) We Brits are famous for burning ourselves to a crisp by rushing out into the sun on the rare occasions it chooses to visit us!
How come any time I watch a British TV show like Downton Abby, the outside scenes are always sunny? Does the sun only shine for TV productions?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #10538
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You did it! You brought cooler weather! Now please send some south our way, OK?

I have to admit that the sunroom is into the 70s and it's not even midnight! Looks like the coming week will be mostly in the 80s. 80 isn't cool by any means but it sure beats 97, 96, 90-anything.
When I got up this morning the temp was at 72F. It is now 73F. the heat wave has finally broken. We managed to set some records with this one.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #10539
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How come any time I watch a British TV show like Downton Abby, the outside scenes are always sunny? Does the sun only shine for TV productions?
I suspect it is very clever lighting mostly. Trust me, the place where they film (Highclere Castle) is literally up the road from me - and definitely no sunnier than where I live. It IS very picturesque though.

I adore Downton Abbey!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #10540
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I suspect it is very clever lighting mostly. Trust me, the place where they film (Highclere Castle) is literally up the road from me - and definitely no sunnier than where I live. It IS very picturesque though.

I adore Downton Abbey!
We will be getting the next season Starting January 5th. So be prepared. We even have a long healthy thread about it. Our members in England and Australia get it before we do. But they have been really good about not revealing anything. No spoilers here.