"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #10891
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Did you have a frost yet Addie? You need a frost for it to technically be "Indian Summer". We haven't dropped into the 30s yet this autumn. Just touches of color our way, but lots of green The last few days we've had a very narrow temperature swing - mid-50s at night, may mid-60s for the high of the day. If the sun would come out it would be perfect.
Because I live so close to the ocean, we may not get a frost until the end of December. (I live a block from the Atlantic.) And some years none at all. The ocean water is always warmer than the air and when the wind is coming in off the ocean, it is always warmer here than the rest of inner Boston. So we take our Indian Summer when we get it.

The strange thing is our Boston information comes from the Weather Bureau located out at Logan Airport. If you look at the map, the airport is surrounded by the ocean. So technically, their reports don't apply to Eastie. Even the airport doesn't go by their reports. That is why you see weather socks all over the airport and even on the outskirts of the airport. There is a whole row of them on Saratoga Street on the way to Winthrop. If fact, most of their reports don't even apply to Boston at all. They are never spot on for Boston. Only for the rest of the Commonwealth. If you see pictures of Boston Harbor frozen over, then you know it is a cold winter.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #10892
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Summer really needs to know that its time has passed! Yesterday it was 91in October, I'm ready for some cooler weather!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #10893
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Woke up to 42 F, it's currently 50 and clouding up. Windows are open, so it's about the same temp in the house.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #10894
Chef Extraordinaire

Cold, overcast & misting off & on all day here in SE S.D. It's in the mid 40's. Time to get the fall jackets out.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #10895
Chef Extraordinaire

It's 85F outside right now. When the inside temp reaches 80, on goes the A/C. I keep seeing the "What are you baking today?" thread and thinking, "Are you kidding?!? Nothing!!!"
Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #10896
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We haven't yet turned off the ac, I like a nice constant temperature especially when sleeping

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #10897
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's 85F outside right now. When the inside temp reaches 80, on goes the A/C. I keep seeing the "What are you baking today?" thread and thinking, "Are you kidding?!? Nothing!!!"
But isn't that what A/C is for?

55 last night, 61 today, and bone-chilling dampness for two days. Caved in and turned the heat on...and it isn't even November 1st! (Family joke - Himself's cousin, who lived in Burke, VA before moving to Williamsburg a few years ago, absolutely refuses to turn the heat on before Nov. 1st.) Heat will be off again soon since I just wanted to take the chill out of the house. Besides, it's supposed to be 75 and very humid tomorrow. Sure hope we don't need the air!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #10898
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

47F...Turns out the migraine I have been fighting back the last several days is actually a raging sinus infection...I'm still going for a walk in the morning.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #10899
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
47F...Turns out the migraine I have been fighting back the last several days is actually a raging sinus infection...I'm still going for a walk in the morning.
(((hugs))) I hope it clears up soon.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #10900
Master Chef

Ugh....hope you feel better soon, Princess.

It's finally starting to cool down here and I'm wearing my beloved sweatshirts, at least in the morning. 60 degrees right now. The multiple weeks of 110-115 during the summer kicked my butt. lol