"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #11001
Chef Extraordinaire

Well it's sunny anyway, Beth.
It's still sunny here, too. That, IMO, makes all the difference to beat those Winter doldrums... even though Winter doesn't start for a month...

Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #11002
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, it is colder than usual for November, but is it that unusual? Back in the late '70s/early '80s, I always made sure to get my winter tires put on the car before the end of October. We have had -13 C (9 F), but no snow to speak of.
I don't think a few days of unusually cold weather is very significant. For all we know, it could be warmer than normal two weeks from now.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #11003
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
We received over 12 inches of snow with this last storm. I just walked down to the house site, wasn't going to start my car in 9*F if I didn't have to. There was a whole flock of pick-up trucks there, mostly associated with the new construction next door.
Is that your gas meter way over there? Is that what they do with gas meters nowadays? I haven't lived somewhere with gas since 1989.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #11004
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...I always made sure to get my winter tires put on the car before the end of October...

Winter tires. I haven't bought winter tires since the advent of All Season radials decades ago. Of course, I don't live as far north as you. I've always been able to do OK with All Season tires and front wheel drive. My last car was rear wheel drive and that was an adventure in the snow.

A great deal depends on your tire brand. It has been my experience for some time that Bridgestone tires absolutely suck in wet/snow conditions. On my previous rear drive car, it was like magic when I replaced the Bridgestones that came on the car with Michelins. All of a sudden I had traction!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #11005
Executive Chef

Quote:
Is that your gas meter way over there? Is that what they do with gas meters nowadays? I haven't lived somewhere with gas since 1989.

Yes, that is the gas meter on the right, and it is a new model. I have never lived where natural gas was the predominant source of heat before.

Yes, Pac, the sun is great, it has been cloudy since last Thursday.

I had new tires put on my car a few weeks ago and was asked if I wanted snow tires or all season tires. I'm thinking I should have learned more about what folks use here. I went for the all season, but have not driven in the snow yet. I really need to learn how to do that.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #11006
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Winter tires. I haven't bought winter tires since the advent of All Season radials decades ago. Of course, I don't live as far north as you. I've always been able to do OK with All Season tires and front wheel drive. My last car was rear wheel drive and that was an adventure in the snow.

A great deal depends on your tire brand. It has been my experience for some time that Bridgestone tires absolutely suck in wet/snow conditions. On my previous rear drive car, it was like magic when I replaced the Bridgestones that came on the car with Michelins. All of a sudden I had traction!
My all season tires and my winter tires are Swedish. The all seasons work OK in snow, but I would put winter tires, even if they weren't legally mandated in Quebec.

"The value of winter tires has been driven home by my own testing, consultation with experts and by statistics: in Quebec, where they have been mandatory since 2008, winter collisions have fallen by 17 per cent, and crashes causing serious injury or death are down 36 per cent"

From Fourteen reasons to ditch your all-season tires for the winter - The Globe and Mail

Something funny: The one time I hit black ice and fish tailed, I had rear wheel drive. The fact that the rear wheels were slowing as I worked to regain control of the car meant that they helped to straighten out the car.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #11007
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I had new tires put on my car a few weeks ago and was asked if I wanted snow tires or all season tires. I'm thinking I should have learned more about what folks use here. I went for the all season, but have not driven in the snow yet. I really need to learn how to do that.
I vote that you go buy some winter tires. They really make a difference in handling and stopping. See my post about them above.

To save wear and tear on my tires (from having them pulled off the wheels twice a year), I bought winter wheels. Because of a tip on the Brickboard (Volvo owners forum), I bought used alloy wheels for winter. They only cost a little more than new steel wheels, but they don't corrode and they weigh less. They also look nicer.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #11008
Executive Chef

Quote:
I vote that you go buy some winter tires. They really make a difference in handling and stopping. See my post about them above.

To save wear and tear on my tires (from having them pulled off the wheels twice a year), I bought winter wheels. Because of a tip on the Brickboard (Volvo owners forum), I bought used alloy wheels for winter. They only cost a little more than new steel wheels, but they don't corrode and they weigh less. They also look nicer.
Interesting, I'll look into this.

Salt is not used much on the roads here. I heard it was because of so much roadkill of large game animals coming out to eat the salt off the roads, but don't know if that is true. I do know that a red grit is mainly used, after plowing.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #11009
Certified Pretend Chef

As I mentioned earlier, we don't get as much snow as you. Also, I'm retired. I can stay home.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #11010
Sous Chef

Quote:
Something funny: The one time I hit black ice and fish tailed, I had rear wheel drive. The fact that the rear wheels were slowing as I worked to regain control of the car meant that they helped to straighten out the car.
So this was you???