"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #11001
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Well it's sunny anyway, Beth.
It's still sunny here, too. That, IMO, makes all the difference to beat those Winter doldrums... even though Winter doesn't start for a month...
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #11002
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, it is colder than usual for November, but is it that unusual? Back in the late '70s/early '80s, I always made sure to get my winter tires put on the car before the end of October. We have had -13 C (9 F), but no snow to speak of.
I don't think a few days of unusually cold weather is very significant. For all we know, it could be warmer than normal two weeks from now.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #11003
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,871
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
We received over 12 inches of snow with this last storm. I just walked down to the house site, wasn't going to start my car in 9*F if I didn't have to. There was a whole flock of pick-up trucks there, mostly associated with the new construction next door.
Is that your gas meter way over there? Is that what they do with gas meters nowadays? I haven't lived somewhere with gas since 1989.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #11004
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I always made sure to get my winter tires put on the car before the end of October...

Winter tires. I haven't bought winter tires since the advent of All Season radials decades ago. Of course, I don't live as far north as you. I've always been able to do OK with All Season tires and front wheel drive. My last car was rear wheel drive and that was an adventure in the snow.

A great deal depends on your tire brand. It has been my experience for some time that Bridgestone tires absolutely suck in wet/snow conditions. On my previous rear drive car, it was like magic when I replaced the Bridgestones that came on the car with Michelins. All of a sudden I had traction!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #11005
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that your gas meter way over there? Is that what they do with gas meters nowadays? I haven't lived somewhere with gas since 1989.

Yes, that is the gas meter on the right, and it is a new model. I have never lived where natural gas was the predominant source of heat before.

Yes, Pac, the sun is great, it has been cloudy since last Thursday.

I had new tires put on my car a few weeks ago and was asked if I wanted snow tires or all season tires. I'm thinking I should have learned more about what folks use here. I went for the all season, but have not driven in the snow yet. I really need to learn how to do that.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #11006
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,871
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Winter tires. I haven't bought winter tires since the advent of All Season radials decades ago. Of course, I don't live as far north as you. I've always been able to do OK with All Season tires and front wheel drive. My last car was rear wheel drive and that was an adventure in the snow.

A great deal depends on your tire brand. It has been my experience for some time that Bridgestone tires absolutely suck in wet/snow conditions. On my previous rear drive car, it was like magic when I replaced the Bridgestones that came on the car with Michelins. All of a sudden I had traction!
My all season tires and my winter tires are Swedish. The all seasons work OK in snow, but I would put winter tires, even if they weren't legally mandated in Quebec.

"The value of winter tires has been driven home by my own testing, consultation with experts and by statistics: in Quebec, where they have been mandatory since 2008, winter collisions have fallen by 17 per cent, and crashes causing serious injury or death are down 36 per cent"

From Fourteen reasons to ditch your all-season tires for the winter - The Globe and Mail

Something funny: The one time I hit black ice and fish tailed, I had rear wheel drive. The fact that the rear wheels were slowing as I worked to regain control of the car meant that they helped to straighten out the car.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #11007
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,871
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
...
I had new tires put on my car a few weeks ago and was asked if I wanted snow tires or all season tires. I'm thinking I should have learned more about what folks use here. I went for the all season, but have not driven in the snow yet. I really need to learn how to do that.
I vote that you go buy some winter tires. They really make a difference in handling and stopping. See my post about them above.

To save wear and tear on my tires (from having them pulled off the wheels twice a year), I bought winter wheels. Because of a tip on the Brickboard (Volvo owners forum), I bought used alloy wheels for winter. They only cost a little more than new steel wheels, but they don't corrode and they weigh less. They also look nicer.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #11008
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I vote that you go buy some winter tires. They really make a difference in handling and stopping. See my post about them above.

To save wear and tear on my tires (from having them pulled off the wheels twice a year), I bought winter wheels. Because of a tip on the Brickboard (Volvo owners forum), I bought used alloy wheels for winter. They only cost a little more than new steel wheels, but they don't corrode and they weigh less. They also look nicer.
Interesting, I'll look into this.

Salt is not used much on the roads here. I heard it was because of so much roadkill of large game animals coming out to eat the salt off the roads, but don't know if that is true. I do know that a red grit is mainly used, after plowing.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #11009
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
As I mentioned earlier, we don't get as much snow as you. Also, I'm retired. I can stay home.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #11010
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Something funny: The one time I hit black ice and fish tailed, I had rear wheel drive. The fact that the rear wheels were slowing as I worked to regain control of the car meant that they helped to straighten out the car.
So this was you???

__________________

__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.