"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #11251
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's up to -13 F (9F), but feels like -18C (0 F). It's still snowing. Looks like 8-10 inches of new snow.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #11252
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's up to -13 F (9F), but feels like -18C (0 F). It's still snowing. Looks like 8-10 inches of new snow.
Can you really tell a difference between -13 F (9F) and -18C (0 F)?? I'd say both are pretty durned cold!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #11253
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is there water coming from the upstairs neighbour?

I hope it stops soon and doesn't cause you too much damage.
No. It is coming from the roof. The water is seeping down between the walls. There is nothing they can do until the temps go above 32F. They have needed a whole new roof and have just been patching for the past six years. There is no damage to my apartment except for the ceiling. I figure sooner or later the ceiling will come down. Nothing under where it is leaking.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #11254
Head Chef

Addie - I really feel for you! How frustrating!

GotGarlic - I am of an age that is still having a hard time with Fahrenheit to Celsius, my kids just don't get my dilemma .

But.... 40/44 below is the same in either Fahrenheit or Celsius... NOW THAT IS COLD! I personally think anything below 0 Fahrenheit is cold. We did not cancel outdoor Ringette games unless it was 10 below (F) for the girls. Now you rarely can even find outdoor ice games! They are all indoor arenas!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #11255
Chef Extraordinaire

Fluffy snow since 7:30 am although it didn't amount to much. Cold all day, 10F.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #11256
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Can you really tell a difference between -13 F (9F) and -18C (0 F)?? I'd say both are pretty durned cold!
Yes! I was actually just thinking about that. It's surprising how much difference it makes. at -13C, you dress for it and it's not a big deal. At -18C you have to move around a lot or you can easily die from being outside too long. -18C is a sort of magic boundary for that, well actually that boundary is probably -21.1 F, the temperature where saltwater freezes. Fahrenheit thought it was 0 F.

Yesterday, with the -18C, we went shopping and one gust of wind and holy cow, it was miserable. I didn't really notice cold anywhere but my face, but, oh boy was that ever cold. Everything else was covered and I was wearing leggings under my jeans. (I am really glad my glasses have plastic rather than metal frames.)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #11257
Master Chef

Overnight we got about 8-10 inches of snow, but by the time dawn broke the freezing rain had sealed it down to about 6 inches. The temp? Well after snowblowing the long hill of a drive Himself was chilled, so it was 2-fingers-of-Bourbon cold. Is that a legitimate reading???
Old 12-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #11258
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds stupid I know, but you don't want to wear earrings when the temps drop. There have been cases of frostbite on the earlobes from the metal getting so cold. Take off your metal rings, bracelets, etc. They help conduct the cold to your body.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #11259
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sounds stupid I know, but you don't want to wear earrings when the temps drop. There have been cases of frostbite on the earlobes from the metal getting so cold. Take off your metal rings, bracelets, etc. They help conduct the cold to your body.
Doesn't sound stupid to me. It was a shocker to me my first winter in Montreal. I have pierced ears and I was in pain. I don't notice a problem from my wedding ring, but I usually wear gloves and it doesn't go through anything.

It stopped snowing around 21h. It's still -13C (9F). I just took out the garbage. I wore my leather jacket and shoes - no hat, no gloves, no boots, no scarf and it felt cold, but not horrible. (Yes, I was wearing trousers, etc. I don't want PF getting even for my smart-arse comment yesterday. )
Old 12-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #11260
Head Chef

Oh yeah!!! Were you live is entirely relevant to how you view weather!
Born in Hamilton, ON... snow belt but not super cold.
moved to the Twin Cities... lots of snow but still not super cold.
then on to Germany and Switzerland... again, lots of snow but not super cold...
back to Toronto area, yechh.. rain and fog
Vancouver, BC.... city - mostly rain... but lots of snow outside the area.
Montreal... we had more than a month of below 40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit... same thing )... now THAT was a shocker! When it climbed up to 0 Fahrenheit... people were dancing in the street.