"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #11271
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
This building is managed by HUD. Federal Govt. Typical management.
I don't really know what that means, having never lived in government-owned housing, but black mold inside the walls can cause serious respiratory problems, especially in elderly people whose immune systems may be compromised. There must be someone to report it to beyond the building's management. A local TV station, maybe.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #11272
Sous Chef

GG is right Addie. Chances are there is a lot of mold within the walls if you have been experiencing leaks for that long. Maybe this will help. Massachusetts Tenant Rights with Mold | Indoor-Restore

Scroll down to "National Renter’s Rights".

Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #11273
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't really know what that means, having never lived in government-owned housing, but black mold inside the walls can cause serious respiratory problems, especially in elderly people whose immune systems may be compromised. There must be someone to report it to beyond the building's management. A local TV station, maybe.
This is the first time I have had a leak in the seven years I have lived here. Right now they are up on the roof working on where the leak is. Evidently there has been a leak in that spot before. It is a patched over spot. But I have never smelled any off odor or had health problems. It stopped leaking last night and hasn't started again. I didn't even get a full saucepan of water from the leak. I am sure Frank will be around to take a look at my ceiling. I will ask him about the possibility of mold. He is the Head of Maintenance for the Management Company.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #11274
Master Chef

Quote:
.....We get the Montreal Express in the winter. And I certainly do not want to thank any of you Canadians for that. Almost as bad as a Nor'easter in the winter.

...And to think I used to go to work and wait for the bus in a short skirt and heels in this weather.
I hadn't heard that term "Montreal Express" until now Addie, but it sounds a lot like the Alberta Clippers that fly across the Great Lakes. If Lake Erie isn't frozen over when the come barreling in we can get a couple feet of snow out of one storm. Either way you look at it, our neighbors to the north are hardy people since they have that kind of weather more than we do.

I remember shorts skirts and cold weather. BRRR! Our son was in Cleveland just a few weeks ago and posted a photo from the mall area where I used to wait for the bus. He couldn't believe I'd stand there with a short skirt and no hat! He was bundled and he was freezing. Wimp!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #11275
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I hadn't heard that term "Montreal Express" until now Addie, but it sounds a lot like the Alberta Clippers that fly across the Great Lakes. If Lake Erie isn't frozen over when the come barreling in we can get a couple feet of snow out of one storm. Either way you look at it, our neighbors to the north are hardy people since they have that kind of weather more than we do.

I remember shorts skirts and cold weather. BRRR! Our son was in Cleveland just a few weeks ago and posted a photo from the mall area where I used to wait for the bus. He couldn't believe I'd stand there with a short skirt and no hat! He was bundled and he was freezing. Wimp!
I would rather live in Canada than up by Oswego, NY. Every year they really get hit hard from the "lake effect" off Lake Erie. I remember one year they got 27 feet of snow in 24 hours. Yes, I did type "feet".
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #11276
Master Chef

Quote:
I would rather live in Canada than up by Oswego, NY. Every year they really get hit hard from the "lake effect" off Lake Erie. I remember one year they got 27 feet of snow in 24 hours. Yes, I did type "feet".
Must have been a 27-foot drift. I couldn't believe 27 FEET so I googled it. Many sources mention this as the record:
The world record for the most snowfall in a 24-hour period was set in the town of Silver Lake, Colorado, where 76 inches of snow fell on April 14 and 15, 1921. Eighty-seven inches of snow were recorded for the entire storm which lasted less than 28 hours.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #11277
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's currently -21C (-6F). It got all the way up to -17C (1F) today.

This is what it looked like yesterday:

Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #11278
Sous Chef

Yup, from Wikipedia, " In 2007, Oswego gained national attention when approximately 130" (slightly less than 11 feet) of snow fell in a two-week timespan. This broke the record of the Blizzard of 1966, which blanketed the city with 102" of snow."
Oswego, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #11279
Head Chef

arghhhh! .... can't even delete!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #11280
Chef Extraordinaire

Heat wave in SE S.D. today. High of 31F. Most of the streets are melted off, just wet. Now I can go back to a lighter jacket.