"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #11291
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Cool picture, Taxy.
Thanks Pac. The snow was falling, but that's a Google+ enhancement, that animated snow.

It's really cold. As Addie wrote, this is January/February weather. -18 C (0 F), when I took Shreddy to the vet. It went up to -16C (3F) and now it's -17C and snowing. Seems to feel a constant 10C (18F) colder than the actual temperature.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #11292
Chef Extraordinaire
Snowing and our temperature has climbed up to 19F.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #11293
Master Chef
Too warm for December here.....waaaay above normal.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #11294
Chef Extraordinaire
Here, too, roadfix. It's 60F and sunny right now. A gorgeous December day DH just came home early from work so he can get a bike ride in before dark.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #11295
Head Chef
Supposed to be up to 70* this weekend. Nice pre-Christmas weather. Makes me feel better than the 26* did last week.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #11296
Chef Extraordinaire
It didn't snow all day. That rocks! lol
Gloomy and gray and in the low twenties, but no snow. It was so nice not to get any more snow it made a crappy day seem like the first day of Spring.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #11297
Master Chef
So, crocuses pac? Happy Easter.

Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I bet Boston has had more than one blizzard over the years Addie. I went looking for a link to Cleveland's "White Hurricane" in 1978 and found a CWRU "Encyclopedia of Cleveland History" link that showed four historical blizzards in the Cleveland area. My Mom was pregnant with me when the 1950 one hit. She didn't know it at the time and spent five days shoveling out! Then, when she went to the doctor, he told her to "take it easy". Um, bit late with THAT advice!

The Cleveland 1978 storm was from a different system than the one that hit Boston. I remember the winds at the airport were recorded somewhere around 100 MPH. The barometric reading was the lowest recorded for a land reading not associated with a hurricane - 28.28 inches. We lost that record a few years later. All I know is that the pressure dropped so very low so very fast I had a raging headache when I woke up the day of the storm. Of course, Himself had to ignore everything and go to work. Coming home he got stuck in a drift on the unplowed road but some nice couple took him in until I found a snowmobile rescue group that got him. He got his car the next day.

The National Weather Service article about the Ohio hurricane has a photo of a home that was buried by the snowfall! It was somewhat south of Toledo, in the state's NW corner. You can see that here: It Hit!
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #11298
Chef Extraordinaire
Not only seeing crocuses, CG... I can hear the loons!
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #11299
Executive Chef
Crumbs, -18C! And I thought it was cold tonight when I went up to the yard to put Horse to bed and there was just a light frost in places!

I don't like a warm bedroom and don't have the heat on overnight so I will resort to a hot water bottle tonight, I think.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #11300
Executive Chef
Our temp right now is 35. I think we are supposed to get more snow overnight.

Mad Cook, my husband and I do not agree on where to set the thermostat. I think he keeps it too warm in here. When I can, I sneak over and turn it down a notch or two.

CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote