"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #11421
Executive Chef

Right now it's 30 degrees. We are supposed to have light snow today and tomorrow, no accumulation, but the temp is going down to 19 tomorrow. We are watching our 5 yo grandson tomorrow so we better have lots for him to do inside!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #11422
Executive Chef

The weather and what to do about it.

Went up to the stables on the bus this am (post-Christmas economy drive/get fit for Spring campaign). Howling gale (to put it mildly) and driving rain. Struggled to walk down the lane to the farm as I was against the wind. It had got worse by the time I left and at the bus stop I had my arm hooked round the bus stop sign so I wouldn't be blown into the road and mashed by a delivery van.

Like most of my life it seemed a good idea at the time = free old biddies' bus pass (bless the labour government) and the round trip involves walking a mile but it's split into 4 short sprints so not too strenuous a fitness plan. I plan to do it 5 times a week (no bus on Sunday and I need to allow for "emergencies" and take the car a couple of times a week).

Arrived home tired, buffeted, wet and cold. I think economy drives will have to be put off until the weather improves and I think I'm fit enough without my 5 (miles) a week.

Now sitting in front of a roaring fire with a cup of tea and a slice of homemade bread and raspberry jam. The "horse fairy" is putting Horse to bed tonight so I don't have to go out again. What to do? decisions decisions. Shall I read, knit, watch a DVD, have a snooze? Oh the joys of retirement.

Watched the Christmas "Downton Abbey" last night. Woke up this morning and found myself worrying about Branson's future. What is the matter with me!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #11423
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Here's a song for you, CG!

Not one of the greatest offerings from the Great American Songbook but meaningful for those who love Ohio.

As "our Dor" was warbling away about Ohio a banner appeared across the screen advertising flights to Israel
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #11424
Executive Chef

Mad Cook, I think we get free senior bus passes in our area too, but we have never taken advantage of them. I will have to look into it. We don't go into the Pittsburgh area too often because there's so much traffic, detours, and traffic patterns are hard to decipher sometimes.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #11425
Executive Chef

Quote:
Mad Cook, I think we get free senior bus passes in our area too, but we have never taken advantage of them. I will have to look into it. We don't go into the Pittsburgh area too often because there's so much traffic, detours, and traffic patterns are hard to decipher sometimes.
We can use ours on local bus services all over the UK and our Greater Manchester ones can be used on local train services tin the area too.

Not sure if mine will be renewed next year as there has been a bit of a kerfuffle about the current government discontinuing them. There are those who don't want to spend money on "unproductive" old people. Given that a lot of us are still tax payers and do useful volunteer jobs that without us would have to be done by paid employees, it's a bit thick!.

A lot of the complaints seem to come from young professionals who are interviewed on the radio about how old people are a financial drain on society. When yet another one is at it on current affairs programmes I find myself screaming at the radio "Who do you think paid the income tax that financed your education to get you where you are now. Whose National Insurance contributions paid for your safe delivery at birth, the doctors when you caught chicken pox or broke your arm and for your teeth to be straightened by the orthodontist?"

Sorry, rant over.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #11426
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
In Copenhagen, the transit passes for seniors are very cheap. There is a catch. It's not valid in rush hour. I think that is a great idea. Most seniors can do most of the stuff they need to do by public transit outside of rush hour. Makes better use of the buses.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #11427
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
In Copenhagen, the transit passes for seniors are very cheap. There is a catch. It's not valid in rush hour. I think that is a great idea. Most seniors can do most of the stuff they need to do by public transit outside of rush hour. Makes better use of the buses.
TL, during my working days on the way home, the bus made a stop right outside a supermarket. Every single night there would be an elderly loaded down with bags. The driver is not allowed to get out of his seat unless it is an emergency. So the old folks would just have to try to get on the bus with all their bags as best they could. The other riders are tired and do not feel like getting up either to help. Then as soon as the doors close, the driver would start the bus. They waited at least 20 minutes and couldn't use that time to get their dime out? They expected the driver to wait until they dug down deep into their purse and found a dime. Sorry, he has a busload of passengers who want to get home. Some drivers would tell them to not bother paying the dime. Others insisted. I was with the ones that insisted. Then they refused to move back into the bus behind the white line. Thus they blocked the door when someone had to get off.

The other passengers are tired and want to just get home. Why didn't these elderly go shopping during the daytime when the buses had only a few passengers? Every day of the week it was always the same. I can't blame the rest of the passengers or the bus driver for not giving them special treatment. My favorite ones were those that didn't have a dime on them. But they had a one or five dollar bill. They would ask if anyone could change it for them. Of course the driver was going to tell them to forget it. But there was one driver I just loved. He began to recognize the ones who pulled this every time. Even before they began to pick up their bags to get on, he would ask them if they had their dime. If they said No, he would tell them to go back into the store and make some change and he would get them on the next time he came by. He would close the door and take off.

For some of the elderly it was a game to see if they could beat the bus for a dime.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #11428
Master Chef

Quote:

Here's a song for you, CG!

Aww, thanks Carol! I've never heard that song. We left because Himself's job was moved, but yes, it's time to go home. ♡
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #11429
Chef Extraordinaire

It's snowing. It just started coming down in earnest fifteen minutes ago. We're supposed to get 10" or so by Thursday. It's not going to be a good day for driving. I can't even see across the road.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #11430
Master Chef

We saw the weather last night and it looks like northern OH is getting nailed tomorrow. We're far enough south for it to be light down here.

Right now this turkey is freezing her tail feathers off...15 degrees right now and it's only going to get colder. BRR. ..