"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #11571
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Sled is to snowmobile what bike is to motorcycle. Just another word to confuse people
I was only confused for a moment. That photo showed some pretty flat land that wouldn't really be suitable for tobogganing.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #11572
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was outside today. It's -15C (5F), but with the wind, that was really cold. I really appreciated the seat heaters in the car.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #11573
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
15F at 10:00AM and SO's car won't start. Jumper cables did the trick but she shouldn't have this problem with a battery that's not a year and a half old.
Same problem, here with The Pirate's car this morning. The temp was twelve degrees and nothing. It wasn't until his brother showed up and gave him a jump. Started immediately. The car had been sitting in the sun all day and the hood was warm. Your SO wasn't the only one. Looking out the window, a lot of the folks across the street were in the same situation.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #11574
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
That's a beautiful picture Pac. Sort of makes all that snow worthwhile.
I could not agree more!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #11575
Chef Extraordinaire

We hit single didgets above zero today~!! : ) Not as much wind, it actually felt nicer out today!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #11576
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...The dogs are walking around on three legs outside, trying to spare one from touching the ground I imagine. And even my pup didn't want to leave the house this morning. She must have been thinking about her last time out last night....
Our idiot neighbors had their two dogs out earlier this evening...for nearly an hour! Poor things, 3 degrees and dropping and their poor paw pads were probably frozen by the time they got back inside. It would be nice if the neighbors got locked out of their house or car while it's this cold.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 AM   #11577
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Today, it is FREAKING COLD! 12F. What more is there to say. What happened to our January thaw?
It's coming this weekend. I swear Mother Nature is going through menopause.

We're hanging just above zero right now. At least the temps will be going up the rest of the week. I ran some Brunswick Stew up the street to my SIL and let the car warm up and had the seat heater on, both for about 5 minutes just to drive less than 1/4 mile up the street! Yup, I'm a wuss this winter. To think I used to ski...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #11578
Master Chef

My back porch thermometer says -11. I'm just trying to keep the part of the house that has no cellar/attic/second floor (that is to say, my kitchen and back bathroom) from freezing. Luckily I'm an insomniac. Husband says he owes me big time. I think the worst of this will pass tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #11579
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My back porch thermometer says -11. I'm just trying to keep the part of the house that has no cellar/attic/second floor (that is to say, my kitchen and back bathroom) from freezing. Luckily I'm an insomniac. Husband says he owes me big time. I think the worst of this will pass tomorrow.
What are you using to heat that space, Claire?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #11580
Head Chef

CookingGoddess said:

"Our idiot neighbors had their two dogs out earlier this evening...for nearly an hour! Poor things, 3 degrees and dropping and their poor paw pads were probably frozen by the time they got back inside"

Tell me where the neighbors live and I'll use my Long Distance Taser Freezer to freeze parts of them off that they wish they could keep!!!

The idiots!!