"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #11581
Chef Extraordinaire

It's 10F! What a heat wave! The winds have died down considerably, too.
And more importantly, my furnace is back to normal operation.
Granted, we don't experience these temps often, but I think when I purchase another I will get a higher BTU. It just couldn't keep up a couple days ago.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #11582
Chef Extraordinaire

A heat wave. Sixteen degrees. And no wind to speak of.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #11583
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
CookingGoddess said:

"Our idiot neighbors had their two dogs out earlier this evening...for nearly an hour! Poor things, 3 degrees and dropping and their poor paw pads were probably frozen by the time they got back inside"

Tell me where the neighbors live and I'll use my Long Distance Taser Freezer to freeze parts of them off that they wish they could keep!!!

The idiots!!
Southern MA. It's just not pets they're stupid about. They excell in stupidity in all sorts of subjects. In 39 years of renting an apartment (3 years) or home ownership, these people are the worst ever. In fact they are the ONLY "worst". Last 10 years have been, um, awkward. Can't wait to move - we'll be closer to our kids AND further from these bozos!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #11584
Head Chef

68* and a little rainy currently. Tomorrow a high of 79* and the sun will finally show itself again.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #11585
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
You're a riot, Phinz!
Seriously. I turned the heater on. The house was 62* and I was *cold!* Shivering and everything. Was walking around in jeans and a hoodie. Had to put socks and shoes on.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 AM   #11586
Master Chef

The rooms are not totally without heat, just that our (hot water, baseboard radiators) simply cannot keep up when the temps outside go below, well, -10 (which is exactly the temp right now, midnight, which means it will get colder). To keep it up I run laundry (my washer is at the back end of the house)(this is to keep water running from one end of the house to the other, it is shotgun style and that is the furthest from the source of heat and water). I have two of my largest stew pots on the stove and keep them boiling during the coldest hours, which also helps the humidity factor (I get a shock every time I touch something otherwise). I also run hot water in the shower in that bathroom. This does not happen every year. We've had this old house (built 1854) for 12 years and this is only the third year it has been a problem. And one of those years the heating system in that quadrant (I've got 4 separate heating quadrants) actually did fail. If the temps stay above say +10 it isn't an issue. I do have an electric heater, and unlike several years ago, I haven't had to use it, and I wouldn't trust it in that part of the house anyway, I'd be afraid I'd turn it on and fall asleep and burn the house down. You'd think I'd feel the same about boiling water, but somehow if I'm boiling water on the stove, or running hot water in the shower, I'm alert to it. If I plug in the heater, I'm more likely to just forget it. Luckily (for my husband anyway), I'm an insomniac anyway, so I've been staying up all night, then snoozing off & on during the day. What is driving me nutso is that I normally take an exercise class of some sort for an hour starting at 9 a.m. Between this weather and before that the holidays, it's been over a month since I've Zumba'd or taken my resistance training classes. To top it off, hubby took all of my free weights and used them to hold the Christmas tree upright. So my body clock is really off.

BTW, husband says he owes me big time, what do I want for dinner this weekend? I have to laugh ... we go out to dinner every Friday night so this is moot. If our town had a lobster tank, I'd make him pay big time, but in fact this is an empty promise. Oh, he means well, but we'd be going out anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What are you using to heat that space, Claire?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #11587
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The rooms are not totally without heat, just that our (hot water, baseboard radiators) simply cannot keep up when the temps outside go below, well, -10 (which is exactly the temp right now, midnight, which means it will get colder). To keep it up I run laundry (my washer is at the back end of the house)(this is to keep water running from one end of the house to the other, it is shotgun style and that is the furthest from the source of heat and water). I have two of my largest stew pots on the stove and keep them boiling during the coldest hours, which also helps the humidity factor (I get a shock every time I touch something otherwise). I also run hot water in the shower in that bathroom. This does not happen every year. We've had this old house (built 1854) for 12 years and this is only the third year it has been a problem. And one of those years the heating system in that quadrant (I've got 4 separate heating quadrants) actually did fail. If the temps stay above say +10 it isn't an issue. I do have an electric heater, and unlike several years ago, I haven't had to use it, and I wouldn't trust it in that part of the house anyway, I'd be afraid I'd turn it on and fall asleep and burn the house down. You'd think I'd feel the same about boiling water, but somehow if I'm boiling water on the stove, or running hot water in the shower, I'm alert to it. If I plug in the heater, I'm more likely to just forget it. Luckily (for my husband anyway), I'm an insomniac anyway, so I've been staying up all night, then snoozing off & on during the day. What is driving me nutso is that I normally take an exercise class of some sort for an hour starting at 9 a.m. Between this weather and before that the holidays, it's been over a month since I've Zumba'd or taken my resistance training classes. To top it off, hubby took all of my free weights and used them to hold the Christmas tree upright. So my body clock is really off.

BTW, husband says he owes me big time, what do I want for dinner this weekend? I have to laugh ... we go out to dinner every Friday night so this is moot. If our town had a lobster tank, I'd make him pay big time, but in fact this is an empty promise. Oh, he means well, but we'd be going out anyway.
Oh no! I hope this gets better for you. That sounds awful! But to have a house that old must be wonderful otherwise! I love old houses. Our home in Brasov is old. The original part was built in 1811 and the addition of it was built on in 1904. It was modernized before I was adopted with 2 oil furnaces and ductwork. There are still the fireplaces, all of which work very well. My bedroom there has a fireplace and sometimes I would close the ducts to my room and bring up logs to the fireplace and have a wonderful fire, especially during bad snowstorms. It was wonderful to hear the storm howling under the eaves and rattling at the windows and to be so warm with a nice fire. I miss that so very much.

Right now it's clear here and 21 degrees. We have two furnaces/air conditioners, one for my basement lair, and the other, bigger one for the main floor and second story. It's warm in here, for Mamma is recovering from pneumonia. Electric heat such as this tends to make things shocky down here, but I keep a big pot of water simmering on the stove.

That way I don't get zapped!

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #11588
Chef Extraordinaire

13F this morning. Not bad. We have slowly been pulling out of this deep freeze. And the snow they have been calling for? Non-existent. 1-2 feet by last night. What a joke. Then they said it would start snowing last night. Hasn't happened. Not a flake has fallen. Those kind of weather report mistakes I can live with. It's been a nice little break.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #11589
Executive Chef

It's up to 28 degrees here! I think I will go out somewhere today. Haven't been out of the house since last Sunday. We need some groceries that DH does not know how to pick out.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #11590
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We're pulling out of the deep freeze too. Currently -11C (12F), going up to -6C (21F) tomorrow, and up to +6C (43F) on Saturday.