"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #11771
Chef Extraordinaire

I would guess sub-zero is just that, temps below zero. Sub-freezing is below 32F, which may include temps below zero.

My temp is 0F right now, which is sub-freezing, but not sub-zero.
We just got another couple inches last night. Thankfully nowhere near the foot they have been calling for by Tuesday. I wonder if it missed us or if it is late in coming...

Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #11772
Master Chef

1F here! Lots of wind gusts keeping the new snow moving, whiteouts are making the driving tough this morning!

I need to go out this morning to make a drug run and pick up a sack of groceries.

I'm going to swing by the lake to watch the snow devils swirl across the frozen surface of the lake and sparkle in the morning sun.

"Everything evens up in the end. The rich man has his ice in the summer and the poor man gets his in the winter." From the first Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #11773
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We were 68 yesterday. Today we're getting a snow storm!

I have to go to work, I'm going in early because I'm sure that my boss is getting hit pretty hard with panic snow shoppers. I'm not looking forward to driving home in it, I can handle it just fine, I am worried about other idiots, and I've had my car back from the body shop for less than a week!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #11774
Executive Chef

Right now it's 8 degrees. Was below 0 a few hours ago. Did anyone hear about the snow rollers, where the combination of wind and snow causes the snow to "roll" into balls? We looked out today and we have 2 small ones in our yard.

PS. I am one of the idiots you have to watch out for driving in snow. LOL
Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #11775
Chef Extraordinaire

I've seen those little balls rolling across my yard before. They never get bigger than golf ball size, but it's kind of neat.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #11776
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've seen those little balls rolling across my yard before. They never get bigger than golf ball size, but it's kind of neat.
pac - You must get these things on the Lake Erie shoreline. We don't get them here on Lake Simcoe but they get a lot of them up on Georgian Bay.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #11777
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know that. But the site you showed for the coldest cities, all stated their sub zero temps. vs. sub freezing temps. What's the difference? Anything below 32F. is freezing. No matter what you call it.
Anything below 32 degrees is "cold". Anything zero or colder is "holy crud is it freakin' cold!!!".

Since the caption reads "... Subfreezing temperatures occur 94 days a year there...." I'm thinking that they consider the day "sub-freezing" if the temperature dips below 32 degrees at anytime during the 24-hour period, not that the high of the day is under 32 degrees. Kinda like the days I wake up to the furnace running but, by mid-afternoon, I'm thinking of turning on the A/C because the breeze through the open windows is becoming oppressively humid.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #11778
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...My temp is 0F right now...
Wait, you have NO temperature?

It's 10 degrees. My idiot neighbor let their dogs out five minutes ago. Wonder when the poor pooches will be allowed back in. One day when it was around zero those poor critters were left outside for an hour.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #11779
Sous Chef

Gawga snow storm today. Not big as storms go but 3" is big here in Georgia. Two of my grand kids are loving it.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #11780
Head Chef

I think I mentioned this before, but I do not consider it "cold" until it is below 0 Fahrenheit. which is about -18 Celsius ( I think, didn't look it up).

My cheeks and forehead start to feel it, especially if there is a breeze. The snow has a high pitched squeek when you walk.

Minus 10 F is not nice.... minus 20 is bad... minus 30 is nasty.

I once bundled up myself, saddled my horse, went for a ride taking the dogs. When I saw dogs stopping every few feet and holding up their paws I turned around and went home. checked the temp .. it was -40 - I felt so bad/guilty/embarrassed - could not believe I didn't check before I went out. That was a really unfair thing to do to my poor dogs, horse didn't mind too much but still - I'll never forget it or forgive myself for being so stupid and inconsiderate.