"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #11801
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just a quick additional note for our friends in the south. Keep a bag of kitty litter in your trunk. It gives great traction if you find yourself on slippery ice. The majority of you do not have snow tires.
I find that cat litter just makes it slicker. It's made of clay and dissolves when it gets wet. Sand is much better. People used to use the ashes from the wood stove.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #11802
Chef Extraordinaire

It's up too 13 here. Sure feels a lot warmer than nine hours ago when it was 1.
I must be nuts. I'm actually looking forward to the weekend's (supposedly) foray into the thirties.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #11803
Master Chef

Amazing how warm 30 looks after going through single digits, huh pac?

We're almost at 20 (19.6 when I last looked). Of course it will warm up now that my warm winter coat is ready (I hope). The zipper was acting up and I wanted it replaced - got tired of it sticking and I had to slip it over my hips and step out if it when it stuck. I've been laying up with a sweatshirt, followed by a nice polartec fleece zipper "sweater", then a heavy scarf before snapping my good-down-to-35-degree jacket on. Feeling a little like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #11804
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a zipper break on me before while wearing the coat. I had a heckuva time getting it off.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #11805
Executive Chef

Fortunately it's still just above freezing here but it's still very cold. My car heater has been out of action for a fortnight and I don't seem to have been warm between leaving the house and getting back from the stables, despite wool jumpers and polar fleeces and thermal underwear. It didn't help that I had to drive with the window open to stop my breath steaming up the windscreen! The part has arrived at last and it was fitted today. Bliss!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #11806
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I find it a bit infuriating online people laughing at the people in Atlanta with the predicament that they are in. This happened to us in the not too distant past.

What people don't seem to realize is we don't have the equipment to deal with this. We rarely have to deal with driving in it. Take icy roads and unleash HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people from work on those roads and things snarl into a mess.

I'm sure that you've seen how a wreck can shut down a highway, imagine that happening on every highway and there is no way for emergency crews to get to them, to clean it up and get people going again. All those cars backed up for HOURS with nowhere to go. This happened in Raleigh, the snow started flying and schools let out, which means that parents had to all leave work early at the same time crating a horrible snarl.

I know how to drive on this stuff, but if there is a wreck closing the highway in front of me and there are hundreds of cars behind me, I'm not going anywhere.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #11807
Chef Extraordinaire

Well fortunately we live in times where nearly every vehicle is either front wheel or all wheel drive. It's not like they can't get around in 2" of snow, barely a dusting.
We can't help it they all drive like sixteen year olds, lol.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #11808
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I find it a bit infuriating online people laughing at the people in Atlanta with the predicament that they are in. This happened to us in the not too distant past.

What people don't seem to realize is we don't have the equipment to deal with this. We rarely have to deal with driving in it. Take icy roads and unleash HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people from work on those roads and things snarl into a mess.

I'm sure that you've seen how a wreck can shut down a highway, imagine that happening on every highway and there is no way for emergency crews to get to them, to clean it up and get people going again. All those cars backed up for HOURS with nowhere to go. This happened in Raleigh, the snow started flying and schools let out, which means that parents had to all leave work early at the same time crating a horrible snarl.

I know how to drive on this stuff, but if there is a wreck closing the highway in front of me and there are hundreds of cars behind me, I'm not going anywhere.
Exactly. I hear ya, Bakechef. The Northern states that are used to winter weather have thousands of plows, salt trucks, etc. The Southern states have very little equipment, because they usually don't need it, along with folks who rarely if ever have to drive in such a mess.

Even here, people have difficulty getting used to nasty winter driving at the start of the season without a learning curve and a lot of fenderbenders and ditch diving. And ice, anywhere, fuhgeddaboutit. No matter how many wheel drives you have, you're screwed.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #11809
Chef Extraordinaire

I grew up in Michigan and I know what you mean, bakechef. A reporter from New York on the news last night laughed at a city worker in Atlanta because they only had three snow plows. "We have hundreds!" he shouted.

Pac, Atlanta has a lot of hills. Once gravity, ice and snow grab your car, there isn't much anyone can do.

We got 10" last night. Sorry, no pix. Still not feeling well. It'll still be there tomorrow lol
Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #11810
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have called the state and suggested the budget we have not used be sent to affected states to help. I wish we could get our idle plows and sand spreaders down there soon enough to help. Apparently, I am not the first to call and suggest this.

I don't find it funny, I wish we could help.