"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #11811
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...Pac, Atlanta has a lot of hills. Once gravity, ice and snow grab your car, there isn't much anyone can do...
OKayyy
I've never experienced that...

All I was saying is there really isn't any need to clear the roads over 2" of snow these days.
Slow down, you watch the news when the northern states get hit, don't you? In today's vehicles you'll get where you need to go.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #11812
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have called the state and suggested the budget we have not used be sent to affected states to help. I wish we could get our idle plows and sand spreaders down there soon enough to help. Apparently, I am not the first to call and suggest this.

I don't find it funny, I wish we could help.
I'm having visions of a bunch of states sending their plows one or two states south, so plows wouldn't have to travel too far and no one who needed them would be without.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #11813
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm having visions of a bunch of states sending their plows one or two states south, so plows wouldn't have to travel too far and no one who needed them would be without.
Yes, that would work. Our crews would be working and earning, too. Not sitting around waiting for more than an inch of snow to go to work.

I have a couple of shovels, but they are not where they need to be.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #11814
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

OKayyy
I've never experienced that...

All I was saying is there really isn't any need to clear the roads over 2" of snow these days.
Slow down, you watch the news when the northern states get hit, don't you? In today's vehicles you'll get where you need to go.
You know, even grownups think it won't happen to them Like I said, we got 10" last night. A friend of ours who grew up here decided she needed to go to the store today, two blocks from her house. Her car got stuck on an "incline" on the way home and she had to leave it. She's lucky it's a residential street and not a highway. Although now it's hazard for others.

Pac, driving in this kind of weather is second nature to you. It seems simple and obvious. When people aren't used to it, they don't know what speed is safe and what will send them spinning around or make it impossible to stop.

Have you ever driven in the Rocky Mountains? I'm not afraid of much, but I'm terrified to do that. I'm sure I'd ride the brakes till they burned out and I crashed, even though I know I'm not supposed to.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #11815
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I wanted to drive in Montreal, I took driving lessons (in winter) because I had never driven on snow and it terrified me. I'm very glad I did. I wasn't required by law to take them.

You also have to remember that people in the South don't have winter tires. Not only do they grip better than "all season" tires, because of the treads, but they stay flexible in cold. Below 7C (44.6F) there is much better stopping with snow tires, even on dry pavement.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #11816
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You know, even grownups think it won't happen to them Like I said, we got 10" last night. A friend of ours who grew up here decided she needed to go to the store today, two blocks from her house. Her car got stuck on an "incline" on the way home and she had to leave it. She's lucky it's a residential street and not a highway. Although now it's hazard for others.

Pac, driving in this kind of weather is second nature to you. It seems simple and obvious. When people aren't used to it, they don't know what speed is safe and what will send them spinning around or make it impossible to stop.

Have you ever driven in the Rocky Mountains? I'm not afraid of much, but I'm terrified to do that. I'm sure I'd ride the brakes till they burned out and I crashed, even though I know I'm not supposed to.
Yes, and I know when to stay home. When it's bad here, there are certain folks who will go out and get folks for work or take them home. Pick up kids from closing schools, etc. Fewer people on the roads.

It needs to be planned better and folks cooperate when things get bad. They cooperate when there are hurricanes, floods...why not when they get snow and they should not be on the roads?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #11817
Chef Extraordinaire

On the bright side, there has been cooperation here Western Virginia gets much more snow than we do, so they've sent a lot of snow plows east to help; same in NC, I think.

Atlanta was overwhelmed because apparently local officials underestimated the impact of the forecast change early yesterday morning. They should have closed schools and businesses in the morning so people could get home before the snow got bad.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #11818
Chef Extraordinaire

Just saw a post on my neighborhood's Facebook page: pictures of neighbors shoveling walkways and sidewalks in front of elderly neighbors' homes today. It doesn't always make the news, but Americans still take care of each other.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #11819
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well fortunately we live in times where nearly every vehicle is either front wheel or all wheel drive. It's not like they can't get around in 2" of snow, barely a dusting.
We can't help it they all drive like sixteen year olds, lol.
That just it. They can't get around. They never see snow in Atlanta. And according to the Weather Bureau, this storm was supposed to stay way south of Atlanta. My girlfriend lives in Atlanta. I called her tonight. Her daughter is very sick with the flu. And with every single road blocked with cars she is worried that she may have to take her to the hospital. Her daughter also has epilepsy. And a fever can set off a grand Mal episode. Believing the weather bureau, the Governor failed to declare a State of Emergency in time. He has had to call in the National Guard.

The snow turned to rain and the rain turned to ice almost instantly. Tractor trailers are jacked knifed all over the highways. People have run out of gas from sitting in their cars since yesterday. They left their cars and decided to try and walk home. Now their cars have been towed and they have no idea where they went. Children have been kept in their schools overnight because parents could not get to them to take them home. The buses could not get to the schools to pick them up. The teachers raided the cafeteria for food and cooked up some food for the kids. They threw down the wrestling mats in the gyms and the kids bunked down for the night. To keep the kids entertained, they found some educational and other films and showed them.

And if you think Atlanta is in rough shape, take a look at New Orleans, southern Alabama and Mississippi. How many folks down there do you think have snow tires
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #11820
Head Chef

Send all the jerks laughing at Atlanta to Atlanta next year and unleash a rare snow storm on them while they try to commute home in the insanity that is Atlanta traffic. They'll be the first people whining for somebody to pull them out of the ditch they just slid into.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote