"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #11821
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just saw a post on my neighborhood's Facebook page: pictures of neighbors shoveling walkways and sidewalks in front of elderly neighbors' homes today. It doesn't always make the news, but Americans still take care of each other.
We lived next door to an elderly couple. When Poo was about ten, he saw the woman shoveling her walkway. Poo went over and took the shovel out of her hand. I never told him to do that, and she didn't ask for help. When she offered to pay him, he turned it down. Every winter from there on in, he shoveled for her without being asked.

When my SIL is using his snow blower, he does the sidewalk for the old couple next door. What is just a couple of more feet when the machine is doing all the work?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #11822
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
TMy girlfriend lives in Atlanta. I called her tonight. Her daughter is very sick with the flu. And with every single road blocked with cars she is worried that she may have to take her to the hospital. Her daughter also has epilepsy. And a fever can set off a grand Mal episode. Believing the weather bureau, the Governor failed to declare a State of Emergency in time. He has had to call in the National Guard.

That is what ambulances are for, if her daughter needs the ER, she should call 911.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #11823
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well fortunately we live in times where nearly every vehicle is either front wheel or all wheel drive. It's not like they can't get around in 2" of snow, barely a dusting.
We can't help it they all drive like sixteen year olds, lol.
Well the problem is, many of these people have little to no experience driving in it. I don't worry about my ability to drive in it, but all the way to work I saw people driving like idiots and riding my tail on glare ice.

The other huge problem was hundreds of thousands of inexperienced drivers took to the icy highways at the same time, that's what caused the biggest problem.

You or I could have been trapped on the highway, regardless of our ability to drive in it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #11824
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I wanted to drive in Montreal, I took driving lessons (in winter) because I had never driven on snow and it terrified me. I'm very glad I did. I wasn't required by law to take them.

You also have to remember that people in the South don't have winter tires. Not only do they grip better than "all season" tires, because of the treads, but they stay flexible in cold. Below 7C (44.6F) there is much better stopping with snow tires, even on dry pavement.
My car feels like I'm driving on stone wheels on cold mornings! I also really need new front tires, I was supposed to get them last week but put it off...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #11825
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is what ambulances are for, if her daughter needs the ER, she should call 911.
None of the emergency vehicles can get through the traffic jam. Even the city streets are blocked with cars that have slid and crashed.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #11826
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Well the problem is, many of these people have little to no experience driving in it. I don't worry about my ability to drive in it, but all the way to work I saw people driving like idiots and riding my tail on glare ice.

The other huge problem was hundreds of thousands of inexperienced drivers took to the icy highways at the same time, that's what caused the biggest problem.

You or I could have been trapped on the highway, regardless of our ability to drive in it.
Exactly. I feel so bad for everyone who had to go through this. And you have no control of the folks in front or back of you, or 12 miles up the road.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 PM   #11827
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
None of the emergency vehicles can get through the traffic jam. Even the city streets are blocked with cars that have slid and crashed.
They would get through quicker than she would be able to driving herself.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #11828
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Quote:
They can send a helicopter too.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #11829
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I find it a bit infuriating online people laughing at the people in Atlanta with the predicament that they are in. This happened to us in the not too distant past.

What people don't seem to realize is we don't have the equipment to deal with this. We rarely have to deal with driving in it. Take icy roads and unleash HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people from work on those roads and things snarl into a mess.

I'm sure that you've seen how a wreck can shut down a highway, imagine that happening on every highway and there is no way for emergency crews to get to them, to clean it up and get people going again. All those cars backed up for HOURS with nowhere to go. This happened in Raleigh, the snow started flying and schools let out, which means that parents had to all leave work early at the same time crating a horrible snarl.

I know how to drive on this stuff, but if there is a wreck closing the highway in front of me and there are hundreds of cars behind me, I'm not going anywhere.
Bakechef, please pardon me for bolding only part of your post. I so agree with you here. Just a couple of years ago there was an earthquake in a part of the United States that has rarely experienced earthquakes. So many Californians were making fun of this, and it made me ashamed of my fellow Californians that they would do that.

Most folks in my little town here in SoCal remember "the snow of 2011". It was less than 2 inches but it was so foreign to us, and the town pretty much shut down. Not everyone has up to date snow vehicles with tires that can handle it, and we sure don't have snow plows.

My thoughts and prayers certainly go out to those who are stuck in such extreme weather. Not everyone is prepared for this and I hope most just stay home if they can.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #11830
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The National Guard is presently responding to 911 calls.