"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #11931
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We typically get lots of snow here, and the schools have closed regularily this year, maybe because it's the 4th worst snow and wind record since 1906.

I grew up in northern North Dakota, and as I recall, the only time they ever closed school was in a massive blizzard, when we had 8 feet of snow covering our houses!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #11932
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's 8F, feels like 17F, no wind. I took the trash out without putting on a coat. No problem. If the wind had been blowing I would have left the trash on the porch and waited till tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #11933
Master Chef

Was out from mid-afternoon on today and it almost felt like spring! I had my heavy jacket on and it was unzipped from both the top and bottom so that only the mid-part near my waist was actually connected. It was nice to walk around outside and not feel like Nanook of the North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One of the main reasons schools close with the snow is insurance. The janitors union does not allow for the members to report to their school too early. So the walks are not cleared in time for the arrivals of the children. If one of the kids fall or get seriously hurt, it will cause the insurance rates to go up. And the reason businesses closing, do you want another Atlanta traffic jam?
Addie, the roads were clean and dry today and we got caught in a big traffic jam. Why? Cuz some people drive like flaming idiots no matter what the road conditions are. And we are not Atlanta. The northern cities have plows and road treatments, things that are not common or plentiful down south. Besides, the previous bad snow on Jan. 25th had schools and government offices closing...even though only the schools were showing up on the TV crawler. Since we didn't see government offices listed we headed up to Worcester to go to the Health Connector office. Closed. EVERYWHERE else we went was open for business. Our local post office was open. The restaurant we ate at was busy. People were doing their jobs...as long as they weren't MA government employees.

In my opinion, schools feel like they need to give notice that they'll be closed much earlier than in the past because so many families have two working parents and they have to make child care plans the night before. It hits the family hard if they wake up for school and work and find out there is no school.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #11934
Chef Extraordinaire

The working parents is a good point, CG.

It's clear and calm here. Lots of stars out and a crescent moon. It's supposed to get into the twenties today. Spring is right around the corner. uh-huh.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #11935
Sous Chef

It's finally raining. Yay!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #11936
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

14F, feels like -2F with the wind chill. I was just out without a coatb and really didn't feel chilly for almost 5 minutes.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #11937
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We're at 20F, a heat wave! It snowed all day, a nice, fluffy, no wind in your face snow. Very pretty.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #11938
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
-8C (18F) here. I was out for a smoke in a t-shirt and a cotton shirt and that was fine. Yes, I was wearing trousers, etc.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #11939
Executive Chef

When I went to school we never had a snow day in 12 years of school. No school busses. We walked. Sometimes the teachers didn't make it.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #11940
Senior Cook

Did you grow up in Pittsburgh?