"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #11991
Certified Pretend Chef

Getting mentally geared up for another big storm. The noon forecast said we could get up to 15" Thursday into Friday! This is not cool!

Our condo association's snow removal contract includes up to 65" of snow removal in the base price. Up to today we were at 53". If this storm delivers as promised, we'll be writing some bigger checks.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #11992
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Getting mentally geared up for another big storm. The noon forecast said we could get up to 15" Thursday into Friday! This is not cool!

Our condo association's snow removal contract includes up to 65" of snow removal in the base price. Up to today we were at 53". If this storm delivers as promised, we'll be writing some bigger checks.
No offence Andy, but I hope it stays south of the boarder at least until after we fly home tomorrow. Right now it's 32C with a humidex of 42C. I don't think we are going to enjoy walking out of the Toronto airport tomorrow afternoon.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #11993
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well then, stay safe, you and DH. Glad to read he will should be home before the snow piles up.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you guys don't lose power.
Thanks, TL. If we do, we have a generator, which DH has pulled out and tested twice this year already, as well as a gas water heater and stove, and radiator heat. So we're in good shape.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #11994
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Just checking in from NC.

Left work and it took me 45 minutes to go 5 miles, which isn't too bad. Rob had to leave his car a half mile away, nobody could make the hill. Luckily he was able to pull into an apartment parking lot and left his car there.

Now we are just waiting for the ice, which is going to make things even worse.

I pulled into a parking spot at home, went to straighten it out and got stuck, So both cars are officially stuck, but we are both home.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #11995
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad you're both home safely, bakechef. Where in NC are you?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #11996
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aacck!!! Bakechef and Rob, glad you're both safely home! Some weather you just can't drive in, no matter how good a driver you are.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #11997
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Glad you're both home safely, bakechef. Where in NC are you?
Raleigh. He works close to downtown and I work in a suburb. Luckily his commute is less than 4 miles and mine is just over 5.

I really feel for those people still stuck in the gridlock.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #11998
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Aacck!!! Bakechef and Rob, glad you're both safely home! Some weather you just can't drive in, no matter how good a driver you are.
Thanks!

Yeah, there is no way to really drive well in this stuff, just try to keep momentum. Unfortunately with so much traffic it's tough.

Rob's problem was is that he didn't listen to me. I told him to wait until the car in front of him made a go of it, then if they didn't make it and pulled to the side, THEN go for it. But instead he followed them, and they STOPPED at the bottom of the hill to ask for directions! That truck didn't get any further being rear wheel drive.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #11999
Chef Extraordinaire

Reminds me of a time when DH and I were in college at EMU in Ypsilanti, MI, and there was a huge snowstorm. There was a pretty steep hill that DH had to go up to get to his apartment; so did a lot of other people.

Everyone was getting stuck halfway up, so all these college students got together and pushed the cars, one at a time, up the hill. Then someone would leave and others would arrive and start helping. I don't know how long they were out there.

Next day, we were walking three feet off the ground to class on the drifts. I think that's why DH wanted to stay in southeastern Virginia after the Navy
Old 02-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #12000
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Had rain on ice one night here in Missoula. I went outside (at 2 am) for a smoke break. I slid down the handicapped ramp to the parking lot. I didn't fall, but I couldn't get back up the ramp, either. From where I was, any door that I could get to that someone would open at that time of night had ramps. I found a bucket with salt by one of the doors and carried it by the handfuls (no scoop) to the ramp at my door. I finally got in after almost 45 minutes.