"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #12171
Sous Chef

Real windy today with snow squalls. I had to head down to Toronto this morning and I figure I missed this by 3 or 4 minutes.
http://barrie.ctvnews.ca.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #12172
Executive Chef

R_J you are a lucky man.

Not going to get above zero here today or the foreseeable future for that matter.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #12173
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Folks like Kayelle can never look out their window and see beautiful snowflakes gently falling to the earth. She can't hear the crunch of snow under her feet. She can't see her breath coming from her mouth.
Well, I can tell you that I HATE snowflakes or the crunch of snow under my feet or that brown slushy stuff that appears when that 'beautiful' (NOT) snow is mixed in with dirt, engine exhaust etc or the sleet that often comes before or after snow or red noses (save those for the Rudophs) or that drippy stuff that comes out of red noses or shoveling that white cr** or large limbs or entire trees that fall onto my driveway or house or in the street taking out electrical lines and possibly electrocuting small animals or large people AND putting my warm house into total darkness---- or a frigid house that I can't combat with all the clothes I own and gives me chilblains or grey/white c*** that's tracked into the house no matter how many times a person stomps their feet or not having a car start when it should or the kids being home because it's a 'snow day' or--- or----- or------ well you get my point!

Quote:
Grant you Kayelle has her own seasons. There is the fire season, flood season, mud slide season, etc. You get the idea. But she never has a snow storm as a reason to stay home and lounge about. Poor Kayelle. She is so deprived. Oh yeah, she is the one that is taking that fantastic trip, isn't she. Hmmm.....
Hmmm. Well, I guess all the weather reports about the East or South or Northern U.S. have been made up. Ya think?

The Kayelles of the world can lounge about by their pool or on the beach and not be confined to huddling in their homes for lounging.

Poor us. LOL (I just love Fisking-----look it up.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #12174
Master Chef

I think they said the high today will be in single digits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #12175
Master Chef

More bitter cold temperatures and lots more snow this weekend. :-(
Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #12176
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Are you in that drought?
Are you allowed to Q, use the pizza oven or the like?
Yes we are and we've cut down on usage quite a bit. And yes, we are allowed to Q with any type of fuel....there's no ban on that...yet. :)
Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #12177
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Yes we are and we've cut down on usage quite a bit. And yes, we are allowed to Q with any type of fuel....there's no ban on that...yet. :)
Thank gawd!
I remember one bad year here they did not want people grilling outdoors. Maybe they expected more sparks in those days or lumped the home grillers in with the camping grillers.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #12178
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
As a Houston-raised Tennessean who is sick and tired of temperatures below 55*, I have a hard time understanding how anybody would *choose* to live in these temperatures. I've been here 26 years now (with 1.5 years in Florida back in the early 2000s) and I can't wait to leave. I lobby constantly with my wife to head south. Blech.
Same argument Himself and I have. He would have loved to retire to FL. Told me so when we were engaged. I took the ring off and told him he had to pick between FL and me because there was no way I would move to a part of the country where it was summer for 8 or 9 months of the year, with the other months being hot like hades. I too like the changing seasons, but this winter has been a rough one - more like the ones I enjoyed when I was young. This year I'm done.

We're in MA because his job was moved up here and we kinda needed the income. We're still here because Mr. Un-dhandyman hasn't motivated himself to fix what needs fixing so we can move...back to OH with the same kind of weather but with both of our kids still there. Family. That's why I'll stay up north.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #12179
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
....They are predicting a possibility of over a foot of snow for Sunday night into Monday. I believe that prediction was sponsored by Giant Eagle! LOL
Not to mention the local dairies and bakeries.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #12180
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We aren't expecting to get up to a high of 0C (32F until Saturday of next week.
I was supposed to bring in firewood today but decided to wait til Sat. Although not terribly cold - the wind is nasty and my wood is exposed to it ergo me exposed too while I'm loading it onto the tractor. Brrrr... think I will survive with what is inside til Sat...... I hope!