"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #12221
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That avalanche in town is scary. Are you at any risk from avalanches where you live PF?

Considering that those people were unlucky enough to be in an avalanche, they were lucky that the places they were trapped were air pockets.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #12222
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That avalanche in town is scary. Are you at any risk from avalanches where you live PF?

Considering that those people were unlucky enough to be in an avalanche, they were lucky that the places they were trapped were air pockets.
I'm more towards the center of the valley, so not in danger, a mile's worth of houses between me and the mountain. But, we have lots of friends who live up the canyons who are in danger. And like I said before, the University's student housing and dorms are in the path for a large part of the city. Spring semester is in full swing

Old 03-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #12223
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

"Older male is in serious condition, older female is in critical condition and the 8 year old boy is listed in fair condition." From the news site. No mention of actual injuries. The female was the third one found, about three hours after the avalanche, the male two hours after, the boy within about 45-min to an hour.

The Missoula Search and Rescue went from the avalanche site to the local ski area to find two missing skiers who had decided to head off into the wilderness. MS&R were already cold and tired from the avalanche.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #12224
Master Chef

More snow today and bitter cold. The man on the TV yesterday said that March is going to be very cold and lots and lots more snow.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #12225
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We have 13F, and it's snowing. Again.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #12226
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Missoula's Avalanche made the national news on CBS!

4F, with windchill it's 27F...no going outside today, although Shrek has opened the door a couple of times and been yelled at.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #12227
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Missoula's Avalanche made the national news on CBS!

4F, with windchill it's 27F...no going outside today, although Shrek has opened the door a couple of times and been yelled at.
It was on NBC too! Just saw it.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #12228
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
LOL!!!

Shrek just wandered in from checking the mail, covered in snow. He had been out for long enough I was thinking I would have to get dressed again and go search for him. He fell in the snow and couldn't get back up. I got his hands into cold water, they were bright red and cold as ice. No frostbite, thank goodness. No more going out for him until they clear the walks.
PF I was always taught running room temp water for frostbite. Or to warm up hands. I remember my kids coming inside to use the bathroom and get so upset because I made them stop and get their hands warmed up. They didn't even know they were cold. Each kid also had two pair of mittens. While one was drying on the radiator, they were wearing the other. Then when they came in for lunch, I was drying the inside of their boots with the hair dryer. No wonder I hate winter.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #12229
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF I was always taught running room temp water for frostbite. Or to warm up hands. I remember my kids coming inside to use the bathroom and get so upset because I made them stop and get their hands warmed up. They didn't even know they were cold. Each kid also had two pair of mittens. While one was drying on the radiator, they were wearing the other. Then when they came in for lunch, I was drying the inside of their boots with the hair dryer. No wonder I hate winter.
Room temp water hurts! Cold tap water hurts...Shrek was yelling at me to lower the temp of the water, I had to dribble some on his arm to realize I was using cold water. Cold water does not hurt as much. Times change, use cold water when someone possibly has frostbite.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #12230
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Room temp water hurts! Cold tap water hurts...Shrek was yelling at me to lower the temp of the water, I had to dribble some on his arm to realize I was using cold water. Cold water does not hurt as much. Times change, use cold water when someone possibly has frostbite.
Thanks PF, good to know.