"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #12221
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,567
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That avalanche in town is scary. Are you at any risk from avalanches where you live PF?

Considering that those people were unlucky enough to be in an avalanche, they were lucky that the places they were trapped were air pockets.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #12222
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That avalanche in town is scary. Are you at any risk from avalanches where you live PF?

Considering that those people were unlucky enough to be in an avalanche, they were lucky that the places they were trapped were air pockets.
I'm more towards the center of the valley, so not in danger, a mile's worth of houses between me and the mountain. But, we have lots of friends who live up the canyons who are in danger. And like I said before, the University's student housing and dorms are in the path for a large part of the city. Spring semester is in full swing
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #12223
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,367
"Older male is in serious condition, older female is in critical condition and the 8 year old boy is listed in fair condition." From the news site. No mention of actual injuries. The female was the third one found, about three hours after the avalanche, the male two hours after, the boy within about 45-min to an hour.

The Missoula Search and Rescue went from the avalanche site to the local ski area to find two missing skiers who had decided to head off into the wilderness. MS&R were already cold and tired from the avalanche.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #12224
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,251
More snow today and bitter cold. The man on the TV yesterday said that March is going to be very cold and lots and lots more snow.
__________________
There is no path to yesterday.
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #12225
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,424
We have 13°F, and it's snowing. Again.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #12226
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,367
Missoula's Avalanche made the national news on CBS!

4F, with windchill it's 27F...no going outside today, although Shrek has opened the door a couple of times and been yelled at.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #12227
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Missoula's Avalanche made the national news on CBS!

4F, with windchill it's 27F...no going outside today, although Shrek has opened the door a couple of times and been yelled at.
It was on NBC too! Just saw it.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #12228
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL!!!

Shrek just wandered in from checking the mail, covered in snow. He had been out for long enough I was thinking I would have to get dressed again and go search for him. He fell in the snow and couldn't get back up. I got his hands into cold water, they were bright red and cold as ice. No frostbite, thank goodness. No more going out for him until they clear the walks.
PF I was always taught running room temp water for frostbite. Or to warm up hands. I remember my kids coming inside to use the bathroom and get so upset because I made them stop and get their hands warmed up. They didn't even know they were cold. Each kid also had two pair of mittens. While one was drying on the radiator, they were wearing the other. Then when they came in for lunch, I was drying the inside of their boots with the hair dryer. No wonder I hate winter.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #12229
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF I was always taught running room temp water for frostbite. Or to warm up hands. I remember my kids coming inside to use the bathroom and get so upset because I made them stop and get their hands warmed up. They didn't even know they were cold. Each kid also had two pair of mittens. While one was drying on the radiator, they were wearing the other. Then when they came in for lunch, I was drying the inside of their boots with the hair dryer. No wonder I hate winter.
Room temp water hurts! Cold tap water hurts...Shrek was yelling at me to lower the temp of the water, I had to dribble some on his arm to realize I was using cold water. Cold water does not hurt as much. Times change, use cold water when someone possibly has frostbite.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #12230
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Room temp water hurts! Cold tap water hurts...Shrek was yelling at me to lower the temp of the water, I had to dribble some on his arm to realize I was using cold water. Cold water does not hurt as much. Times change, use cold water when someone possibly has frostbite.
Thanks PF, good to know.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.