"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2015, 06:07 AM   #13401
Chef Extraordinaire

At 5:45 a.m. it is 9F. right now. Some flakes flying around looking for a spot that is bare to fall on. Right now I have my heat running on high and I can't get the temp in my apartment above 69F. And for an elderly person that is on two blood thinners, that is cold. The furnace hasn't shut off for the past 30 minutes. Fortunately, I have a robe that is very thick and warm.

I have a very LARGE window in my small room. It is two stories high. And even though it is very thick, it is so cold. The cold air it creates has a wind to it. Stand two feet in front of it and you can feel the cold coming from the glass of that window. When the wind hits it and there is no getting that room warm at all. And it has it own heating system. I took a sheet and put it on a rod as high as I could get it. It does help some. But not enough.

This winter is brutal. I haven't seen this much snow since 1978 when we had the last blizzard. They had to call in the National Guard from N. Carolina with all the necessary heavy equipment to help us then. Nobody could get to ours. Most of our plows were stuck in the snow also. All our streets have become one way. I can't go out with my scooter. I have no way of knowing which corners have been shoveled out for handicap access. The Secretary of State of the United States, John Kerry has been fined $50 for not shoveling his sidewalk in front of his mansion. I think he can afford to pay the fine and for someone to shovel off his sidewalk.

Spike took Teddy Bear out for a walk yesterday and he made the mistake of stepping on some very deep soft snow. He went in head first and panicked trying to get back out. Spike had to carry him to an easy place for him to walk. But when he got to outside my building, he had a ball playing in the snow. He was covered with snow when he got to my apartment. Of course he just had to wait till he got in my apartment to shake it all off.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #13402
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It's currently 38F and cloudy here along the river, but we're supposed to get a big storm with lots of snow later, lasting through Sunday evening.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #13403
Chef Extraordinaire

Snow! Snow! Snow! I am stuck in the house. And there is more coming. Temp presently is 19F. And the wind is blowing so hard my windows are rattling. Is it time for Spring yet?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 PM   #13404
Master Chef

Glad you're OK, Addie. I can't imagine what it must have been like on the east coast during the worst of this snowstorm.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #13405
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Glad you're OK, Addie. I can't imagine what it must have been like on the east coast during the worst of this snowstorm.
Thank you. I am a hearty New Englander. You can't keep me down. Like those who live in the mountains or mid west, we don't let a couple of snow flakes keep us down.

Addie
Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #13406
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We have about 8 inches of wet, very heavy snow, and it's still coming down. We lost DirecTV satellite last night, so I had DH up on the ladder this morning to clear the dish. It's working now, but we left the ladder up in case it needs to be done again. Lots of overloaded broken tree branches in the hood. The woods look like a winter wonderland.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #13407
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our weather is perfect to help folks drown in their sorrows if they are prone to depression. The day began grey and gloomy and appears that that's all we're going to get. Aside from that, it's been steadily raining since.....? Not sure when the rain began but it was earnestly raining when we got up.

The temp has risen about 10 degrees and is now above 50F. No risk of any wintry weather, in spite of what our weather forecasters predicted a few days ago. In fact, the highway department heavily treated all major roadways beginning Friday morning. Now, oh joy, all the chemicals have been washed off and are now making their way into our waterways. We have no pending dangerous icy/snowy weather predicted at all for even the next 5 days.

All I can say is that as each day passes, I know we're getting closer to more agreeable weather. Spring will be here soon. Yeah!!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:26 AM   #13408
Senior Cook

Got up at 3 to do my workout, going to have a snowy busy day today... its 14 degrees and snowing, we are supposed to get up to another foot of snow ontop of the 30" that still hasnt really melted from last week..
Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #13409
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
Got up at 3 to do my workout, going to have a snowy busy day today... its 14 degrees and snowing, we are supposed to get up to another foot of snow ontop of the 30" that still hasnt really melted from last week..
I have a medical appointment this afternoon and I have cancelled it. I don't take the chance for a broken hip in this weather. I did have a bad night and could still use a couple of more hours of sleep. But I know that is not going to happen. It is so true when they say the barometric pressure can have a lot to do with illness or feeling well.

Yesterday The Pirate cleaned my house from top to bottom. I knew he was coming over to watch the game, but he came early in the day and started to clean right away. He even scrubbed the woodwork. He cleaned the top of everything, including the wall clock. The most exerting thing I have to do today is rest and relax. I hope I can get that done on my own.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #13410
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

21F, light snow. Really wish winter would show up...my luck we'll get all our snow in March this year.